Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - it Spring Break :dancy::egypdance::yes!: !!! Woohoo - two weeks off to look after yourself and even leave your trusty recliner behind. I'm very happy you are getting a change of scene and I do envy you heading for the beach on Sunday. Have a fantastic break and tell us all about it when you get back - in other words, take a break from BoneSmart too. Have fun :walking: :surfer:
 
Thanks @Threads!! It's actually just one week off - but I will make the best of it. My knees were very sore yesterday and not happy at all. I'm hoping they will appreciate the week off of work also. I will continue my hamstring and IT band stretches and do plan to do some easy walking, but other than that, I will make sure my knees have a nice vacation too! Hoping that may make a difference because nothing else seems to be calming them down. I think the beach house may even be one story so no stairs too which may make them even happier!!! And the best news of all..........looking online at the photos of the house - I think they have TWO recliners in the TV room!!! :)
 
Oh darn - I jumped around and got all excited for nothing! I'll have to do it all over again on Thursday - I assume Spring Break starts on Good Friday then. I know somewhere in our conversations you told me, but I didn't go back and dig it out. I assumed (silly thing to do) that your Spring Break bridged the Easter Weekend. So, now you have one more week of looking forward to your break! Your knees will enjoy the break too - they have had to work hard helping you get established in your new job. I'll bet you don't get a chance to get up and move around as much as they would like and sitting for a long time is a killer for me.

Have fun dreaming about the beach and the two recliners this week. Hopefully they have an ocean view!
 
Our spring break is always the week before Easter - so it's this upcoming week. We are leaving tomorrow after my son finishes his soccer tournament. I return to work the day after Easter. So, yes - you jumped at the right time :) I just finish earlier than you thought!!
 
Amazing what different meanings a few words have! When you said "It's actually just one week off" - I read it to mean that your holidays didn't start for another week. What those words actually meant, of course, was that you only had a week's break (unlike here where they get two)! I'm much happier to know you are headed off tomorrow but I do wish that you had a two week break - I think you need it! Have an amazing time and take some deep breaths of the Atlantic Ocean for me!
 
Thanks - two weeks would be wonderful. I will definitely breathe in some Atlantic for you!!! :)
 
8 Month Update:

Yesterday was 8 months since my BTKR. I don't have very much new to report. I'm still having additional pain and discomfort, which I really think is probably tendonitis. I was taking anti-inflammatories up until about 2 weeks ago, when my prescription ran out. I don't think I'm swelling any more than when I was taking them, although I do think my knees are still puffy/swollen above my knees. The pain is on both sides (quad tendons) and seems to hurt most getting up out of a chair and going up/down stairs. I am pretty stiff in that area too - and tight, which I attribute to the swelling. I had also had pain in the front of the knees on stairs and getting up - and that pain is now better. I have cut back for two months now on my activities/exercises, and do very little other than light walking, biking and swimming a few times per week. The popping/clunking I've had this past month seems to be getting better - hopefully that will continue.

I spent this past week at the beach, and other than climbing the flight of stairs to get into the beach house, I did very little. I think it was a nice rest for the knees ( and me!!). I did play two rounds of mini golf (I won!!) and on the last day, I went for a walk on the beach for 1.5 miles (I walked down near the water where the sand was solid and easier to walk). My knees didn't feel any worse after the walk which was great.

Today I went to the gym and swam for 45 min - doing some exercises and then some laps. After icing, they are a bit tight and definitely sore, but no more so than prior to the work out. I am still having issues with tight IT Band and hamstrings. My trainer at my gym showed me how to work with a foam roller and I bought one a few weeks ago. Hopefully that plus daily stretching will help loosen things up. I am still going for a massage regularly as well.

I'm doing the best I can not to get discouraged - I'm so tired of all of this. Looking forward to (hopefully) getting past the (what I think is) tendonitis so I can continue on with my recovery. I worry at times it's something else wrong - but I have it in both knees - same place/same pain. It's been about three months now since it started.

After a great week at the beach (with lots of food and margaritas!), I'm heading back to work tomorrow. My focus this week is on icing each day after work, stretching and trying to get some exercise in.
 
I'm happy to hear that you had a good break and a nice walk on the beach - just figured out that I can type in green for jealousy. I did hope to hear that your knees responded well to their rest. As you point out, it's both knees so it's not the new knees but the stuff around them. I'm glad you had pool time today, that must have felt good. Take it easy this week, if you can, and enjoy your recliner when you get home.
 
@Threads I think my recliner missed me - it's noisier than ever :) The walk on the beach, and beautiful sunsets were the perfect medication for my aching knees!!! I am hoping that they are slowly beginning to get better - maybe the good news is that they aren't getting worse anymore!!!!! I will get there.........eventually!!
 
I guess your recliner is sort like a dog that's happy to see you when you cuddle up with it and it gives you gentle barks! The beach is always my personal restorative place - I always feel at peace there. I think that if your knees aren't getting worse, that's a very good thing. You gave them quite a workout on the weekend - a gentle one though. Trust tomorrow will be a good day with the children joining you at work.
 
@thread The beach is definitely good for rejuvenation! :) The weather was beautiful here yesterday finally - hoping that my knees will appreciate the warmer days ahead!
 
It's the weekend!!!! I hope the warm weather has held for you and you can get out and enjoy the sun.

I tried swimming to the far end of the pool before I got out after aquafit this morning. I can only do side stroke now, I haven't done breast stroke for years and I know it would give me a better workout. However, something is better than nothing and I did it and only had a slight twinge in my right knee. It will be an indoor weekend for me - the sun has gone and the rain has returned.

Enjoy your massage and I hope it gives you some relief.
 
It seems like it will be a nice weekend. My son has a soccer game both days - so hopefully I will finally sit out and watch without freezing. It was 47 at the baseball game the other day - and I really felt my knees complaining about the cold. I did quite a bit of walking too, which they seemed to be ok with.

I did the breast stroke when I swam my laps last week, and felt like I got a good workout. I have to say it's only the last month or two that I felt better with the "frog kick" of the breast stroke. Prior to that, it was more just moving the legs - I don't think it was really a kick. I tried to swim freestyle but it made me too tired and the legs tired too quick. I don't know how much of that is the surgery and how much is I'm just terrible at freestyle.

My knees still seem to be somewhat getting a bit worse each day. It's hard to explain. I just feel like they are heavy, full of fluid or swollen, and just feeling awkward. They are aching more than before as well. I did go to the gym multiple days this week. With the trainer only working on upper boy, abs and a few things with quads that had no impact or force on knees. I then added 20-25 min on bike for the knees, or a one-mile walk. Today instead of going to the gym, I will walk around the park where the soccer field is - my son has to be there 30 min before game - so I will walk that 30 min. I go back to the OS on the 23rd - will see what he says - but I'm tired of no answers. I have my massage later today - looking forward to it - my hamstrings definitely need it.
 
@ljrfrm - it sounds like you are doing a lot, on top of a full days work. When you do rest, do you elevate your legs above your heart, the way we used to post surgery? It seems like everything you do (except in your recliner - is either at full speed or sitting). There's got to be a way you can get some relief. When my left leg (below the knee) and/or my back tells me they aren't happy, I lie flat on the chesterfield (sofa to you) and sometimes prop my legs up on the arms.

Hope you don't freeze at the games this weekend - soccer season is over for the twins now, but they play outdoors all winter.
 
@Threads I hear you - my life is busy at times. But, I really do think I've done a good job at cutting back and doing way less. I do elevate a lot at home - and ice (now that it's not freezing outside it's easier!). I often will lay on the sofa and put my legs all the way up on the back. During the day at work it's difficult to elevate unfortunately, and I know that doesn't help. Other than the soccer game today and one tomorrow - most of this weekend will be with my legs up I think. Unfortunately, I can't spend my life elevating my legs - so I'm getting frustrated 8 months later. I was doing so well.....what the heck happened? The only exercise to my lower legs I do lately is light - an easy walk, biking or an occasional swim. I don't think I'm overdoing it there - and when I don't exercise I get so very stiff.

My massage was great - she spent a lot of time with the hamstrings and IT bands which were so tight. She sees the swelling - and said the right leg is more swollen than the left. If I could just get rid of the fluid and swelling I think I'd be good. And that's what causing most of my issues. Then again, what's causing the fluid and swelling? Hmmmm.
 
Ljrfrm,
Then again, what's causing the fluid and swelling?
Sounds to me like you are doing to much and need a kneecation from activity.
I am going to tag @Josephine to comment on your swelling, and activity.

Here are Josephine's questions, you may as well get a head start on them.
I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!
) Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detaileddetails would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
I really don't feel I'm doing too much. Or maybe it's better said, I really can't cut too much more activity back. I go to work (I have no choice with that - I had my surgery 8 months ago) and I don't do much else during the week. I spend much of my time at home sitting in my recliner and there's not a lot of activity left at home that I could give up. I also limit the times I go up/down the stairs. I have cut back my activity (which I have since January) to the point that the only thing left to cut is the gym. I have tried stopping all activity, including any and all exercising. I've given myself kneecations multiple times - and once for an extended period. It did not help my knees and I actually felt worse as I was much stiffer. I am very careful with what I do at the gym. That said, I do think I was doing too much at the gym in Nov and Dec and I think that might be a part of what started my problems.

Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Right now my knees are at a 2 or maybe 3. At other times they don't hurt at all if I'm sitting. If I were to stand up out of this chair it would probably go to a 5 or 6 as I'm standing. (the act of standing up). Stairs are also 5 or 6. Most of the pain is above my knees (quad tendon area).

2. I take Tylenol or Aleve as needed. I have Tramadol (don't know mg right now) that I might occasionally take at night if needed.

3. I ice everyday after work and after anytime I've gone for a walk or exercised. I ice for at least an hour each time. (I am better now with icing - was a little less in the winter)

4. I elevate anytime I can. At work, I will put my legs up on a chair sometimes but it's hard to get good elevating there and often don't even try. At home, I always use my recliner and will always have my legs up. I use pillows as needed to elevate adequately. I elevate on the back of the sofa often while I'm icing.

5. My ROM is around 130 in each leg, and I can straighten to 0. While my legs feel stiff, I don't feel I've lost any ROM.

6. I truly don't feel my level of activity is high. My husband does the shopping. I may cook dinner but I'm not a chef - so meal prep is fast and simple. We have house cleaners that come so I may tidy up for them but that's it. I go to my son's soccer games but always sit throughout the game.

7. I try to stretch my hamstrings each night. I don't do any other exercises at home on a daily basis. I go to the gym and meet with a trainer 2x a week. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am focusing on upper body and abs since Jan when I stopped lower body exercises when my knees started to hurt. I try to do some light exercise to get my legs moving - anywhere from 2-4 days a week. I am very careful and will do some time on the recumbent bike, a slow walk or will exercise in the pool.
 
@ljrfrm - tomorrow is Friday! I hope your weather is warming up enough to make it nice to be outside and take all the ugly slush of winter away. Our lilacs are starting to bloom! We are almost a month ahead of normal this year! I always watched my lilacs and timed them every year when Mom was alive and filled her home with the smell of lilacs for Mother's Day. Some years they didn't cooperate but I don't recall them ever being this early!

I see a new physio tomorrow, an appointment I made when my back was so sore. I'm sure she will be able to help me build up my core so I can support my back - the arthritis won't disappear. I've had a headache for four days, I'm hoping she has a suggestion that can help that!

Hope you have a good weekend - do you have soccer games to sit through?
 
Hi there @Threads! Our weather was gorgeous today - and tomorrow will be just as amazing. I love it!!! Today was a teacher workday and I so wanted to get outside and enjoy the sunshine but had appointments and wasn't able to. Tomorrow is a massage and then a soccer game - so I will be able to sit in the sunshine and cheer on my son's team. I'm thinking maybe we need to go out to dinner after! (no cooking, yes!!)

I hope the physio can help with your back. Has it gotten any better??

I love lilacs. I really wish I had planted flowers around the house.......someday I'll find the time!!!

On a side note - I go to my OS on Thursday. Curious what he'll say about my knees. I have actually felt a bit better the last day or two (weather related maybe??) but they are still stiff/swollen and I still have that awful "clunk". My trainer about killed me today at the gym. Because I'm really only doing upper body, it's hard because I'm SO weak up top. I think I'll be sore tomorrow!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom