Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - it's your weekend, yay! How did your appointment go yesterday? Did he have any helpful information to contribute to your situation????

I now understand a bit more about the IT Band. I had my second appointment with my new physio today and she said that my IT Band on my left leg was stiff. I know my left leg is the slow one and I'm used to it being a bit more stiff and sore than my right, but she massaged it and boy, did I feel it! I've been doing the exercises she has given me on the bed but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get down on the floor once a day. The bed is too soft (memory foam pad on top of a very firm mattress).

After two massages this week my head is feeling a bit better and my back isn't bad - two steps forward, one step back.

Hope you have something fun planned for the weekend and that it's staying warm outside with spring in the air. It's a bit nippy here and we had hail last night!
 
@Threads Thanks for checking in - I've been meaning to post!! I'm still having issues with headaches and now my neck is hurting - so heading to the chiropractor tomorrow. It's a day off from my massage so at least I won't have too many appointments. I think this whole TKR really throws off the back/neck/etc. All the reclining and sitting/laying down, etc. and the weird gait and whatever else. I'm sure the chiropractor will fix me up. Plus, I think next week when I go in, I will have her massage my neck/back for a bit as well, and not just down below.

Glad you're doing the massage - and yes, it does hurt when they work on the IT band. I know it will be a big help for your back, head, etc.

So, my OS appointment........long story short - he's going to do an arthroscopy on both knees on May 22nd - clean them out of the scar tissue, see what he sees, take some tissue samples (and fluid) and hopefully that will fix me up. He said the area that I'm having pain is related to the knee cap. I'm more worried about him not finding anything (and having to live like this) than the surgery itself. In my mind, it will be much easier than the btkr. Maybe I'm in denial, LOL. The biggest concern I have is that I have no leave - as I used it all earlier in the year and anything I've accumulated I've used for doctor appointments, etc. Hoping for a quick recovery!

Enjoy your weekend. I have the chiropractor and then a soccer game on Sat and another soccer game on Sun. The weather will not be good, unfortunately.
 
@ljrfrm - I am glad to hear that your OS has a plan to find out what the problem is with your knees. Can you take some time off without pay - at least to rest those knees for a few days? It sounds like it will still be invasive and need some healing. I would think it would be easier than the BTKR because it's not as invasive but I doubt that it will be a "walk in the park". The one good thing is that it will be a Friday of a long weekend for you (I know that because we have Victoria Day the weekend before your Memorial Day). So, you'll have three full days in your recliner to see how you are doing.

The massage has helped my headaches - tension ones and I have another massage tomorrow. Hopefully, the last one. The headaches have eased up and what with two massages and one physio appointment last week, I should be looking at a job in my retirement ;-)

My weekend was spent in a quiet sort of way - I did get some weaving done and today went to our eldest DIL'S family do for her father's milestone birthday.

I hope you didn't freeze at the soccer games! I hope this week is easier on you.
 
@Threads I'm definitely taking time off work - just hoping I won't need too much. I was glad he was able to schedule it for a Friday - and since it's over Memorial weekend that's an extra day off I get. I put a phone call in to my short term disability manager to see if there's any way this would be covered under the same claim as my BTKR. If so, I will get it all paid for. If not, then I will still take what I need - but it will definitely be harder for me.

Saturday was freezing at the soccer game but yesterday turned out to be a surprisingly pretty day. The boys walked away with two wins this weekend and are in first place - which is great.

The chiropractor was wonderful- not just for my neck and headache, but he knew just the right places to poke and prod to help my tight IT band and hamstrings. My head finally felt better on Saturday but now hurts again already, so will be seeing him again on Wed.

Glad the massages are helping your headaches. I know it usually takes multiple sessions for them to let up completely. A "quiet" weekend was probably perfect for your healing.
 
@ljrfrm - happy weekend! I hope you have some time to take care of yourself. Soccer this weekend??? I hope your pain was manageable this week.

Were you able to get some answers about your procedure being covered under the BTKR umbrella?

I saw the physio today and have some more exercises to do but I've arranged to see her in two weeks, not one. This last couple of weeks have been expensive with massages and physio. My headache has gone away and my massage therapist has told me to continue using Voltaren on my neck three times a day. He thinks it might help with the IT band as well. The physio worked the IT band today and I just about went through the roof, but she says it's getting looser. The worst was one spot about halfway down my thigh. When she pressed on that point, I jumped. It seems she knows pressure points and she said it was the gall bladder pressure point. I must have looked dumbfounded because I haven't had a gall bladder for 43 years! Does my body still think I have one - sort of like a phantom limb? ;-) We've got a quiet weekend. We had company but she left this morning. I'm hoping to get out for a walk down by the river while we have sunshine.
 
@Threads I know what you mean about massage, therapy, etc. adding up! I'm still trying to find out what the doctor wants about PT after the surgery - which will be yet another copay. Today I am going in for my massage. I think I will have her work on my neck for awhile. My headache is much better - but still not all the way gone. I am convinced now it is related to my neck, as it's still sore as well. I went to the chiropractor Wed. again and will go back on Mon. I think it is helping! Yet another copay though.

I'm glad your headache better - and you are getting your IT band to relax. I also think my hamstrings and IT bands are loosening - the massages and stretching are finally paying off. Now to just get the knees fixed! Less than three weeks until the surgery.

We have another quiet weekend here too - with only one soccer game tomorrow. It's always so nice to relax.
 
I was reading here on BS and it just occurred to me that today is my 9 month anniversary. I'm not where I had hoped I be - but I'm hanging in there. I knee ache a bit more each day and the chronic inflammation is bothersome. I still get the popping and clunking as well as a tight band feeling across the top of my knees. My right knee seems to be a bit worse than the left. Despite everything going on, I am still very happy with my ROM - as I can get both knees to 130/0. I find it interesting that my knees can feel so heavy and tight, but it doesn't impact how much I can bend my knee. My arthroscopic surgery is set for May 22nd, and I'm anxious to find out what he sees. I'm still hopeful that this will get all worked out at some point. Hopefully sooner than later!!
 
Just dropping in to say HI @ljrfrm! Tomorrow is Friday, where has this week gone? I wish there was something I could say or do to help. You've gone through so much and the current situation seems bizarre and so frustrating. It will be very interesting to hear what your OS finds when he gets in there to look. The next two weeks will pass quickly and you'll have your answers.

How are the plans for your cruise coming along or did that bite the dust with your change in jobs. I can't remember :-(
 
Hi @Threads!! Thanks for checking in. I left late Thursday night to go pick up my son at college. Seems like we were just dropping him off and I couldn't go because I just had my surgery. We stayed the weekend and had a great time. It was the most I've driven myself (I've been a passenger for more but not the driver) since my surgery (2 1/2 hours). This morning we packed him up, and drove to Maryland for my younger son's soccer game, then took the older one to buy a car. After that, we went and had a great dinner. So, a busy day but great to be together - just wish my oldest son was with us too.

We are still planning our cruise and I'm so excited - I will have a good 2 months to recover from this next surgery and I'm hoping I'll be feeling better. I'm looking forward to the surgery - hoping to have some answers. And hoping for a quick recovery to the point that I can start feeling better. I did a lot of walking this weekend and didn't feel too bad. I was aching but popping a lot less - and it felt nice to be out and enjoying time outside.

Not it's back to work tomorrow :(
 
Good luck with your apt. These knees talk to us a lot. Sometimes we don't listen till is to late.

Best of luck I hope you can get answers...


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Good to hear that you had a great weekend and did the driving! Freedom is being able to get behind the wheel! Getting all three boys (in our case, men) together gets to be more difficult as the years pass. As much as I would have loved it, it didn't happen when our middle son was home from China just before my surgery. Who knows when we will see him again. However, we do talk to him once a week at a designated time, so we are up to date on his happenings. We were out with our youngest son and his family for supper tonight and I came home to find some photos of our youngest granddaughter (in the Philippines) blowing me a kiss and holding up a Mother's Day message that her mom had helped her write. I would love to hold her and get to know her but .........

I'm glad you've got your cruise to focus on as you approach your next surgery. You will get the answers and with them, a path forward. I pop too but I only notice it if the house is really quiet, then I hear the noise they are making. My physio gave me an exercise that I'm supposed to do kneeling down. I've been doing it on the bed and that is uncomfortable and really weird feeling!

Have a good week at work - only two more before you get to the bottom of things!
 
Touching base @ljrfrm! Tomorrow is Answer Day, and I will be thinking of you. Do they put you right out or are you aware of what they are seeing? Are you in the hospital overnight or is it a day procedure? All these questions! You have, at least, a long weekend to recover and more if you need it. Please don't try to be Superwoman and look after yourself. When you have a minute to think, let me know how you are doing.

Big hug from the west coast!
 
Thanks @Threads for thinking of me :) I wrapped up everything at work and won't return until I feel up to it. I would love to go back on June 1st if possible (ok, well not love, LOL - but like) since I don't have any leave after that date. But, I won't rush back - and will only work when I feel up to it.

I've been aching a lot (especially at night) that last week or two. I also am having more issues with my right knee with it getting "stuck" when I try to straighten it, and then when it does finally straighten it makes a huge "clunk" sound that can be heard across the room. Looking back at this thread, it just seems to be getting worse each week. It's certainly not for overdoing anything - because I don't really do anything anymore. So hopefully I will get some answers tomorrow. I will be so worried (and sad) if they say that everything looks good.

My surgery time was changed so now I have to be there at 6 am, and surgery will be at 7:30 am. It's outpatient so I will be home the same day - and if it's anything like that last outpatient surgery I had, they will kick me out quickly. They will put me out for the surgery - so I guess I'll find out what they saw/did once I wake up. I'll definitely check in with you once I can. Thanks again for checking in!!!
 
Just a question for you? What kind of replace do u have? Reason I ask is cuz I had a partial and well it' did that. There should be a video in my thread.
 
@Angel1978 both knee are full replacements. I saw your video after you posted it. I'm hoping my issue is just scar tissue and not anything more serious. I was doing very well the first 4 months. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
 
@Threads - here's my update: My surgery was moved up again this morning from 7:30 to 7 am. That was fine with me since I was already there and it was less waiting. It took about an hour per knee - so I got to recovery around 9. I was home by 10 am - LOL on how quickly they kick you out I'm more comfortable here at home so that was fine.

I didn't talk to the doctor directly so will get more info at my post-op, but from hubby I got some scoop. Both knees had a great deal of fluid - more than they thought, which doesn't surprise me with the amount it's been hurting the last few weeks. There was also quite a bit of inflammation, and something about it being it a place not expected. He removed scar tissue below the knee cap in both knees and also performed a lateral release on each side since he said it was very tight in there. Because of the lateral release, I'm wrapped up pretty tight so I can't bend the knees much. I am allowed to take the wrap off on Sunday. In the meantime, he wants me to do ankle pumps, quad lifts and heel slides at least for the amount the wraps let me. I'm spending the day in bed, elevating and using my ice machine. Despite the think wraps on my knees, I can feel the ice coming through.

My put in some local anesthesia before he finished so I wasn't in too much pain getting home. It was so much easier to get up and walk after, compared to the BTKR. I have been using my cane when I go to the bathroom although I really don't feel like I need it. I'm on Hydrocodone, and although a bit uncomfortable, I'm not hurting too terribly right now. I'm looking forward to taking the wraps off and seeing if I clunk less now when I walk. I am still popping a bit when I shift side to side, but I know that's a normal pop. I will be ecstatic if I can walk without clunks now. I feel relieved that he found a lot going on - so hopefully he was able to fix it, and I can continue my recovery. He sent the fluid in for biopsy - although he said he saw no signs of infection. My rheumatologist requested certain tests be done and sent to her, to help narrow down my autoimmune diagnosis as well. My doctor said the actual replacement looked great.

So, that's my post-surgery update :)
 
@ljrfrm - I've been waiting to hear. So glad that they found and were able to remove the fluid and scar tissue. I've never heard of a lateral release, but if it gives you some relief, that's wonderful! I guess you'll find out at your post-op appointment what's causing the fluid build-up, it's got to be something. Maybe the scar tissue irritating the area? You have an excuse to relax this weekend and let those men in your life look after you! I hope you have a good book to read or a movie to watch, while you are icing. This is your one step backwards but you'll be "running" forward soon. Great news that the replacements themselves are looking good!!!

The popping is weird isn't it? I can hear mine, more than feel them, when the house is quiet - particularly in the basement where the walls bounce the sound off.

Thank you for taking the time to report - you've been on my mind all day and it's good to know you've come out of the procedure with some answers, and more to come. Take it easy and rest those knees - they've got a new lease on life!! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom