Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it's amazing how much you've done with the grandkids. What fun memories for them and how great your knees cooperated! My back hurts too when I stand for too long, I know it's weak. I will ask the trainer sometime for some exercises to strengthen it and pass them on to you!

My OS and I both agreed to the break from PT to see if I'd be better off without her. I know she helped me with my tight hamstrings, OT bands, etc. but that's something I can get from massage too - and maybe my knees just didn't want to be fumbled with anymore - so I agree. My OS did prescribe Voltaren Gel for me to use on my knees. I tried to use it before surgery buy my insurance wouldn't approve it. Luckily it did now, so I just picked it up and see if it will help a bit. I have felt a bit better the last few days - I've been icing faithfully but also doing a lot more stretching and biking. I am still popping but maybe a bit less (I hope). I just got back from the gym and working with the trainer (we meet 2x a week) and worked on all arms and core today - no legs. My arms are mush now and I will have some pretty sore muscles tomorrow, but it feels good to be feeling like I'm accomplishing something again. I biked for 20 min after. I will definitely push myself to get to the gym over the weekend - would love to swim - will see if that happens. Seems like every other time I plan to do it, I don't get around to it.
 
I'm impressed with how much you get done after a day's work!

The twins went home this morning, and I must admit I did enjoy the silence. I spent a day doing quiet things at home. Speaking of quiet, I did hear my knees popping today, that's how quiet the house was! I found myself going upstairs normally today without holding onto the railing - that was a first. Can't do that going downstairs. Maybe all the walking I've done over the last few days has helped. Do you still use a cane? If not, when did you give it up? I'd better get into the habit of getting on the bike on days that I'm not in the pool.

One more day and it's your weekend. Any signs of Spring?
 
It's hard to get to the gym after work - that is the main reason I have the trainer - it gets me there!!

I stopped using a cane around 12 weeks I think. I remember in the beginning on Nov we went to buy a car and I forgot the cane there and started walking away. I realized then that I probably didn't need the cane, it was more of a feeling of safety. I bet that all the walking has really helped to strengthen your legs. Because I have lots of pain now going up and down stairs, I find that I'm holding on more. But really, I've held on a lot going down I think out of habit. I also find that I use my hand on the chair when getting up without even realizing it now - such habit. Although again, that's also something that hurts me so that may be part of the reason - but even before, it was just habit.

I hear the best part of grandparenting is that you can send them home when you are done! Enjoy your quiet!!
 
I was out and about today and left my cane at home. This afternoon we went to a weaving and spinning show and I walked around on concrete for a couple of hours. My back got really sore but my knees were fine. My DIL has given me the name of her chiropractor and I'm debating whether to check that out.

You're right - it's nice when they go home but I loved every minute of their being with us. They are so bright, full of energy and fun to be around! However, I'm going to have a very quiet weekend!
 
Hi @ljfrm

I hope you don't mind me popping in? Hi @Threads too, it's lovely to read your posts x

I have been reading through your recent posts, in particular your one with the OS. I have to ask the question. Did he send you for an X-ray to check the implant position/alignment and check for any potential problems? X I didn't see that in your post. Normally, when a problem like this presents itself they send you for an X-ray to check it all out.

It's common knowledge I had a rotten recovery but I'm getting there now x I'm on the list ready for the other one to be done. (Yikes!!) x

Swimming is wonderful x

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
@Nana moon 27 Thanks for popping in. I had xrays after the problem started the month before (my last appointment). Everything looked good. Since I had just had them we did not do them again this past visit. I'm glad you're knee seems to be improving. Rotten recoveries are just that......rotten! I think for me what is so difficult is that I was doing so well, so it is frustrating in that I thought I was home free. I go back and forth from being sure this is all that I just did too much too soon, to worrying that something is wrong. I guess time will tell.
 
Hi @ljrfrm

I'm so sorry you're having a frustrating time. I don't think you did too much soon. This could be a temporary glitch. When is your next OS appointment? X

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
I go back in 6 weeks. The fact that both knees feel the same way makes me think it isn't an implants/alignment type issue. The pain reminds me a lot of when I used to have a lot of tendonitis issues - much worse going down the stairs. I guess I just need to be patient and give it time and see if it improves at all.
 
Hi @ljrfrm

It does sound like you might have pulled or strained your knees somehow.

It looks like you are back to the ice and elevation. I had to do it recently. Finally the TKR feels better again. I wrenched both knees and damaged soft tissues. The pain was above the knee cap and at the sides. It hurt. This happened just over three weeks ago x

I hope that rest and gentle exercise helps you like it did for me. Please take care

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
@Nana moon 27 My pain started to increase around Christmastime. I was doing pretty well until then and was up to walking two miles and on other days biking 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week. I was doing squats (wall squats or with TRX so less force on knees) and other exercises with my trainer 2x a week. I didn't do anything that my PT or OS told me I couldn't do - but the pain started in both knees around this time. Initially, only when I went down the stairs, but then when going up, and getting up from a chair. At first I just assumed it was my knees (and muscles around them) just sore from the workouts. But the pain slowly started getting a bit worse each day. I also then had more swelling and fluid on my knees. My guess was I developed tendonitis in my knees - the PT concurred - but has also mentioned bursitis. My pain was across the top of the knees and also right down the front. They also feel tight, and are now more achey at other times as well. I've stopped any exercise that puts force on my knees, haven't done squats in almost two months, took 2 weeks off from doing anything, have taken anti-inflammatories, iced, rested, etc. etc. I don't feel like they're getting better - if anything, a little bit worse each day. Both knees feel pretty much the same - one isn't better or worse than the other. So that is my saga.............
 
Hi @ljrfrm - that was a good exercise - the mental kind - to be able to put what's happened to your knees since Christmas, in one place. You've got it there to refer to as you improve, and you will!! I hope you are having a good weekend and had a good massage today.

I just looked and I haven't posted on my own thread since Tuesday, so I'll pop over there and bring my own record up to date. I find it useful to refer to and so I can remind myself how I'm progressing.
 
@Threads I totally agree, yes it was a really good reflection on what's happened and changed.

@ljrfrm could you not copy what you've posted above and show it to the consultant. It may hold a key as to what is going on.

Have you tagged Josephine in? She might be able to advise you xxx?

Love Nana moon 27 xxx b
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Threads NO massage yesterday - she is now working every other Saturday so instead of trying to squeeze it in during the busy work week, I decided to see how I felt going two weeks between massages. It would be nice to save some money - and time. So far, so good.......so hopefully I can stick to a new every other week schedule. I'm going to go to the gym today - I think I may swim!!!!

@Nana moon 27 Thanks for the support! I am hoping with time I begin to feel better, and it's not anything else. I haven't tagged anybody yet - so hard to describe what's going on in words. I think my popping/clunking is getting a bit better - or maybe I'm getting used to it?? Despite everything that's going on, I haven't lost any ROM, and it doesn't hurt any more to bend/straighten. It was helpful to me to put everything that's been going on into a brief paragraph.
 
That's good news not losing rom. I think sometimes just putting down your thoughts can really help you sort out what is a actually going on x x x
 
@Threads I finally went swimming. I did some exercises and some laps. It felt good to move and not have it hurt - and to also get a good workout. My knees feel pretty good now. Of course, now my tailbone hurts. I have a bad tailbone but it has never bothered me unless I do something sitting that puts force on it. NO idea why it would be bothered by swimming and it bums me out - I have enough problems without worrying about another ache and pain. Ugh. But - it was great to be in the water. I ran a bit across the pool and just feeling like I was running was a great feeling.
 
@ljrfrm - so happy to hear you went swimming and did exercises! It always feels good in the pool, you can move comfortably and build muscles using the water resistance. @Homeport used the description of scissors when she described her exercises on my thread and I've been walking that way in the pool. You really feel the resistance of the water. You were probably arching your back while you swam, so unwittingly twisted intsome way to make it unhappy.

I haven't actually been swimming yet because I wear water shoes in the pool. Prior to surgery I tried swimming but the shoes put more strain on my knees and back. I'm mainly there for my excercises. I see my PT for the final time on Thursday and I'm going to ask her what she thinks about me going back into aquafit. I can always just not do an excercise that I think would make my knees unhappy. I don't see my OS again until June.

Have a good week - Spring Break must be getting closer! I guess now you'll take time off for holidays, when you want them, now that you don't get the whole summer off!
 
@Threads I bet you are more than ready for aqua fit - as you said, you can always alter any exercise that hurts into something that you can do. Let me know what the PT says.
 
@ljrfrm - I got the all clear from my PT today to go back to aquafit, so yippee - I'll try that tomorrow! It's the really intense instructor on Mondays and Fridays, so I'll have to tone down some of the exercises, but I'm getting a bit bored with the walking, etc.

I posted a back "plus more" excercise on my thread, hope it helps. It certainly isn't strenuous but apparently is very helpful.
 
Yippee - aqua fit.....here you come!!!

As for me, I did all upper body and core today with my trainer. My knees had been feeling a bit better and yesterday hurt more, so I didn't want to do anything below the waist. Let's just say my trainer about killed me...I'm already sore - I don't think I'll be able to list my arms tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom