Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads I'm thinking things have just loosened up in there and maybe some scar tissue has loosened. Just a thought. Regardless, I see my OS in a few weeks so if it's still doing the same thing he'll get to see it.
 
Interesting ideas - I've never thought of scar tissue loosening........ I'm glad you see your OS soon, it will be interesting to hear what he says. I'd mention it anyway, out of curiosity (my curiosity :wink:)
 
I will definitely mention it (even if it's not doing it anymore) and tell him that @Threads wants to know! :) It seems like with these tkr's, it's always something.............
 
Pushy, aren't I :heehee:

Your comment about always being something is so true! We just got a new - FIRM - mattress on Friday. I can't sleep on my right side because my left leg isn't getting any support so it decides to scream at me. Therefore, I sleep on my back, in one position and my back is screaming at me today. Tomorrow we'll head to Costco and get a topper, which hopefully will help.
 
How was your massage? Hopefully it helped. Just back from a fund raising dinner at our oldest granddaughter's school. They head off on a band and choral trip to Cuba in a little over a week. I brought my cane and was glad I did. It's surprising how many situations arise where you least expect them.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
 
@Threads My massage was very helpful. She spent the entire 90 min on my legs. I talked to her before she started about my clicking/popping. My legs are to the point that anytime I move they pop, I can't walk without a pop on every step, etc. While I know that some clicking and popping is normal, this is not. It is so bothersome, my legs feel clunky and awkward and it's hard to walk. This all started immediately after my last PT when she was doing some type of mobilizing of my tendons. (Needless to say, I am now not so trusting of my favorite PT anymore!) So, during the massage she immediately noticed that the patellar tendons were "off track". She basically said when you do what the PT did, that's just step one of the process. You need to make sure they are back on track then, and do exercises to build up strength around them so they stay where they should be? Something like that. As it is now, she said each time I move or step the tendons are moving over the knee causing the popping. She told me to tell the PT I need to work on "tracking". Someone else who understands all this more may be able to explain this better. Anyways, she had me push hard against her at 50%, then 70% with my legs bent, saying this would help get them back to where they needed to be? She also worked on my quads (somehow they were pulling on tendons too), IT bands and hamstrings. The results of my massage is that my clicking/popping is significantly reduced by at least 50%. I feel a lot better now - although I noticed I walk a little tentatively as I still get some pops. So, there is more work to be done. She also told me that she's noticed that my muscle tone has worsened since I started with her in Dec. I've cut back my exercising, walking, biking, etc. to rest my knees and I'm much weaker now, where I need to be building up the muscles around my knees. I planned to swim today - but we have snow, turning to ice today, so not sure I will go out.

I have my last PT tomorrow before my OS appointment, and I plan to tell her that whatever she did last time I was there, really caused me a lot of problems. I'm interested to see her response to all this popping/clicking.
 
I'm glad your massage therapist was able to help a bit and I hope that your PT can complete the job.

I don't understand why some PTs feel the need to do what yours did, especially when things seem to be healing all right anyway.
 
Thanks Celle. I think it was because I've been having a lot of new problems the last month or two - and each day I've been feeling a bit worse. I've been having a lot of pain on stairs, getting up from a chair, etc. But, I do agree with you that I wish she didn't do what she did.......as now I am even worse. I am interested to see what she says tomorrow when I explain to her what's been going on since I've seen her last week.
 
WOW, no wonder you've been so uncomfortable. I'm glad your massage therapist was able to feel what was happening to your knees. I've always found it interesting as to how different our PT experiences have been. Yours seem to be quite hands on whereas as mine, even in the hospital, was to give me exercises for a particular area that needed work and it was up to me to do them. I was always watched closely to make sure that I was doing them correctly, sometimes hands on at my hips, for instance, to show me that I was not keeping them level practicing stairs. There was never any manipulation.

While I've been writing this I've been referring to the "Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation" book I bought prior to surgery. I think how I can visualize how the the tendon works with the patellar tendons. Do you have it? It has land exercises and pool exercises as well as good explanations of what is going on. The information is all on BoneSmart but I'm always comfortable with a book with a good index!

Please let me know what your PT's response is - I would think their goal is to do no harm but I don't think that fits for her this time. I wonder if your OS could recommend a different PT? Your massage therapist seems like a keeper.

On another note - you can't get to the pool because of snow and ice and out here, I'm having a full blown reaction to spring - swollen eyes, drippy nose and all! There should be a happy medium somewhere.
 
Threads, I will definitely let you know what she says. When I first started PT, it was all about the ROM, exercises and strengthening. Once I returned to the gym, she started helping me with all my hamstring/IT band issues and became much more hands on there. It has been SO helpful to me until now - so the fact that she did the manipulating last time didn't make me think twice, as I really trusted her (from experience). So, I have no problem being very honest with her about my disappointment in this last session and the problems I'm having. Tomorrow is supposed to be my last PT again, as the doctor only ordered one month. We'll see what he says. I feel like between the trainer at the gym and the massages, I'm covered without needing PT. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but my trainer is leaving for a new job. Friday was my last session with her. I start with a new trainer on Tuesday. I will need to update him on everything I've been through, what I'm able to do, etc. My trainer passed me on to this one because she thinks he'll be good for me - hopefully she is correct. I'll see on Thursday what my OS says about what I can/can't do still.

Regarding the weather - as much as I've enjoyed my snow days - I think I'm done!! This ice storm continues, and now we are supposed to get another storm Wed. night. My son hasn't had a full week of school since before Christmas. Crazy. Hope your allergies improve!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ljrfrm - what did your PT have to say about your patella tracking issue??? Hope you are still enjoying some of the relief you got from your massage.
 
Hi @Threads! Thanks for checking in. I did make it to PT on Monday morning - despite the ice. There were huge blocks of ice falling from the roof - had to dodge them to get into the building. I don't have much to report - My PT didn't really comment a lot on the issues - I made it clear that this is a new problem since she worked on me. She didn't comment when I made it clear this is directly related to what she did last time. She worked some on tracking and I had multiple areas around my knees that were real tight that she worked on loosening and she seems to feel that I was tracking better. It did feel a bit better after, but I'm still feeling very "clunky" and awkward when I walk, and I'm getting new pains where I haven't before. I'm also getting very achey by nighttime. I'm popping a bit less - but just don't feel stable like I used to. Today is 7 months since my surgery -I was in such a good place two months ago. Not now. All I can do is work through it though.

I was supposed to see my OS tomorrow but rescheduled as we're getting another snowstorm tomorrow morning. So, I'll see him on Tues and see what he says. I'll post my "7 month update" once I see him next week.
 
Hummmm, my guess is that she realizes she has some responsibility in getting you where you are today and therefore is afraid to comment. I know you've liked her in the past but, as I've said before, she has "handled" you a lot more than any PT I've been to. I can't wait until you get rid of that snow and can start working in the pool, just letting the water give you resistance. As long as everything is where it's supposed to be and your OS will tell you that, hopefully just doing some exercises in the water should help, along with your massage and time in the gym. You'll get back to where you were, I know you will!!!

Maybe tomorrow will be a snow day????
 
@Threads Yay - it is a snow day!! It's official already! I'm a happy camper :)
I agree that the PT knew she played a part in this. My IT bands/hamstrings and even calves are like knots right now. I really think if I can get everything to calm down, I can move forward (that, and "fix" whatever it is that she did). BTW, not sure if I said this but I met my new trainer last night. I liked him and had a good workout. Lots of core work, but also did hips, and some arms. He was nice and easy on my knee - and is waiting to hear what my OS says about what I should/shouldn't do. I wish you lived here and we could do our pool workouts together!!
 
Yay - a snow predicted in time so you don't have to get up and dressed early! Best kind!!! Your new trainer sounds like a wise and talented person! He's waiting to see what your OS says, and you'll both take it from there. I think you should live here, the pool is 10 minutes away and our cherry trees are already blooming. However, you would have to give up your snow days - the schools don't close because of rain here, if they did no one would ever be in school!

Just home from another high school concert. It's going to be a crazy for the next week. I'm out tomorrow but Friday evening our youngest son and his wife both have gallery openings downtown. Luckily the galleries are side by side. The next day they get organized to fly to NYC where David has meetings Monday - Wednesday and Tristesse gets to hang out because Spring Break will have started here. We'll have the twins (11 yr. old) from Saturday supper until Thursday. One of the things I want to do with them is the Canopy Walk. Apparently there is a ramp up to the canopy, so I'm hoping I can manage that. Wish me luck!!!!
 
Threads, enjoy your grandkids. You will do fine with them - your knees are ready for the canopy walk.......and the twins!! But just in case you need it, Good Luck!!!

The snow is coming down hard here.....I am ready for spring though - and being able to get out and (try) start walking again! I'm going to help my son shovel later - it will be good exercise.
 
@ljrfrm - how did your appointment go today? Hopefully your OS was able to shed some light on your situation.
 
@Threads Thanks for checking in. I planned to post last night but wasn't quite sure what to write. My appointment with the OS was a bit frustrating so I was in a funk all day. It started out with a 1.5 hour wait to see him, and the receptionist making me fill out all the paperwork once again (they make you do it every year, but I swear I just did it a few months ago). She was nitpicking on the paperwork, and kept calling me up to check something else off for fill in another blank. She was set on getting me to fill out the "date of injury or onset of pain" question. I'm like, "uh, 30 years ago?". Finally, she had me put the date of my BTKR. Hello.........I was just here LAST MONTH!. So, then I wait forever to see the doctor (now - they did squeeze me in quickly after I had to cancel last Thursday due to snow - so I shouldn't complain......but I was so irritated with the front office lady it all added to my funk).

I really like my doctor, but I felt like I didn't get any clear answers. Well, he did tell me that he feels strongly that all is ok with the implant, nothing is loose, etc. I agree with him and I feel all along this is soft tissue/tendon issues. He was happy with my extension (0) and ROM (around 130). So I explained to him that immediately after the PT did the tendon mobilization, I started popping - and it makes me feel awkward/uncomfortable walking. He gave me the spiel that some popping is normal (good thing I just caught my typo.....I first wrote "pooping is normal". yikes!). I explained that I've had popping off/on, but this is repeated, with every step and very bothersome, and immediately after her handiwork. He didn't seem very concerned - feels it's possibly scar tissue (maybe loosened up by the PT when she did her thing??? my theory). He said if it worsens, doesn't improve, etc. we can always clean it out (arthroscopic) but he made it clear he's in no hurry to do that and I certainly am not either. I told him my pain (above knee - where quad tendon is and patellar tendon) seems to be a bit worse each day, despite taking it easy. In fact, I feel weaker like I've lost a lot (even the massage lady told me she noticed I've lost muscle tone). He still wants me to stay away from squats, lunges, or anything that puts force on the knee. Stick with quad exercises, hip, glutes, etc. as well as biking, swimming, etc. We both agreed to stop PT but keep going with massages and my trainer at the gym. He wants to see me again in 6 weeks. So, I didn't really get any answers other than give it more time. Meanwhile, I'm still popping and uncomfortable, but I'll hang in there.

I met with my trainer after work. It was only my second time with the new trainer but I do like him. He gave me a good workout focusing on arms and core, with a little bit of balance work and hips. So, nothing strenuous on the knees at all. I biked for 25 minutes as well. So, I will stay the course and try not to get down. My biggest worry is this won't get better - but I just need to do my best to stay positive. (or at least hopeful).
 
Thanks for the good report. I just wish you had clearer answers. On a positive note - in the overall picture - your OS doesn't seem worried and he'll see you again 6 weeks. Your trainer seems like a gem, so working with him and having your massage, should get you headed on the right track. I wonder if your PT - even though I know you liked her - in the end, did you more harm than good. Now that she's out of the picture and maybe spring is in sight, you'll be able to get to the pool and go for a walk after work or at lunch. Keep your chin up!!!

Your OS's "gatekeeper" sounds like an ogre! I would have been fuming and so frustrated but smiling sweetly on the outside. You don't want to tick off the "gatekeeper", as much as you'd love to tell her what you really think of her!

I'm exhausted! The kids are in bed here and their parents are due to land home at 1:00 am! David has to work tomorrow and we'll either return them home in the morning or our DIL will come and pick them up. In the last 4 days we've visited 2 botanical gardens (one had the canopy walk and the other was free because we are members); spent 5 hours in Science World and today - after going to the pool - spent 3 hours at the Museum of Anthropology. I've walked miles and my knees have been happy - however, my back has not been. I wonder what exercises build up the muscles in your back? I'm sure I have arthritis there.

I'd best turn in - my coach has become a pumpkin and the horses have turned back into mice!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom