Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thigh thing is strange. It hit both legs at the same time too. I have been more active lately. Nothing crazy, just trying to get back to something more normal with life and chores. I'm not sure if it means I need to do less or more to get past it, LOL!
 
@gr82cu2 Here's a photo of my lumpy knees - they're so sore tonight.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!
    knees (2).JPG
    7 KB · Views: 178
@ljrfrm - I hope the massage helps with the swelling. My naturopath placed a number of needles around my knees and said it was to prevent the fluid from building up. Touch wood, that hasn't been a problem so far. I have possibly two more PT appointments and one more acupuncture (out of our pockets, we don't have extended medical) and then I'm on my own. I see my OS next in June, so I guess if I've got concerns I can ask him then - if he's actually with me longer than it takes to glance at the x-rays on his computer screen. Kind of scary to thing of flying on my own after all the support I've had. Thank goodness BoneSmart will still be here.

Hard to believe, but one more day and then it's your weekend, again. The time is just flying! Hope you have something fun planned. When do you step into your new position, or have you already?
 
Congrats on the promotion! I finally started working again last week ( part time, doing pediatric home healthcare), but I need to decide what I want to be when I grow up. My knees are improving slowly, and I feel like my posture is much better overall. Have you noticed a difference in that? Some days I feel like a "normal" person!
 
@Threads I do think that alternative medicine will help me through this. The massage is helping, and my friend is coming back over to start Reiki again this weekend. I also need to go see my chiropractor on Monday - I haven't been since the surgery. Last night at PT, they spent the whole hour on my IT bands. Both sides are so tight and they think that is playing into all of this. They used a scraper and did their thing, then massaged, stretched and I think (or it felt like) tied me into a knot. They mentioned something about bursitis too. Yes, it's almost weekend. I have to give a presentation to new workers all morning and a meeting in the afternoon and then it's a 3 day weekend!!! I have moved into my new position - not a lot of job changes now - will notice it more over the summer when I work.

@PuppyLove It's great to hear from you. I'm going to go check to see if you've updated your thread - I hope you're feeling well. Hope the PT position goes well. I still have problems with my gait and posture. I don't limp but I'm just so stiff and evidently I walk with my butt sticking out a bit. PT thinks I got that bad habit by using the butt out as a way to steady my balance.
 
@ljrfrm - sounds like you are using all possible methods to work through your issues. I hope something triggers an improvement soon. Three days off and time to relax are a good thing. Hope you're enjoying your mini-break.
 
@ljrfrm - just had to pop in and wish you a happy weekend! Trust all went well and you didn't wear yourself out. I had my last, but one, PT appointment this afternoon. Building up my quads again seems to be what I need to do most so I can rise from a lower height and do the stairs properly. That will just take time. I did go to the pool my full 3 times this week and joined in at the end of the Aquafit class today to use the foam dumbbells for upper body strength. Baby steps - slow but sure gets us to the end goal - right???
 
@Threads I bet it was great to be back in AquaFit - even if only for the end! I am sitting here in my trusty recliner icing my knees after coming home from the gym. I worked 30 min with the trainer and then biked for 30 min. I had PT last night - she worked more on trying to loosen my IT bands and did some work mobilizing my tendons, as everything is so tight everywhere. I am very sore today - I'm not sure if it's directly related to PT or because I had run out of my anti-inflammatory meds and hadn't taken them for a few days. I'm still stiff and sore on stairs, standing up, etc. I keep hoping that eventually the PT work and massage will kick in and my legs will eventually loosen up. I have my massage scheduled for tomorrow but we're supposed to get snow and ice so I may end up canceling if I don't want to go out in it. My hamstrings really need to be worked on though so hoping the weather will hold off.

Congrats on your second to last PT - you do so much on your own, you will do fine without it, I have no doubt!!!

I'm glad it's weekend - time to relax :) Thanks for checking in!!
 
We're going to be looking after the twins for 4 1/2 days during spring break. Our DIL seems to want us to stay overnight at their place, but I must admit I'm a bit nervous about it. Their bed is very low and their washrooms don't have something to hold onto to when rising from the throne. I know on the bed I could roll onto the floor and get up that way but......... Both of those are things I still struggle with and it looks like it will still take time and patience before they are things I won't even think about anymore.

Anyway, I've planted the seed that we might spend one or two nights here. It only takes us a little over 1/2 an hour to get to their place, so the kids can spend most of the time, if that's what they want, with their friends. I've got a few ideas up my sleeve - one being a canopy walk over the tree tops at UBC's Botanical Garden. I found out today that there are no stairs to get to the "suspended walkway", just a ramp. So I'm withholding judgement as to whether I'll venture up with them or not, they are old enough to go on their own. Unfortunately, their grandpa doesn't do heights!

I've got my fingers crossed that the snow and ice will bypass you, so you can get your massage. It sounds like one of the major things that's going to get you over this hump.
 
@Threads You are a good grandma!! You may surprise yourself and do better than you think in their home! Your quads will get stronger each day - especially if you keep having busy weeks like you did this week. I still catch myself using my hand to push myself up out of a chair. I can do it without pushing but it's such a habit now. I am working hard to make myself stand up without using my arms - it's funny how something becomes such a habit.

The weather doesn't look great for tomorrow's massage so cross your toes too!!
 
Toes crossed as well - it's a bit challenging to walk :yes:

I still push myself up but my quads just aren't strong enough yet. Our son is flying to NYC on March 7th for meetings and our DIL (who is a teacher and artist) is going along to enjoy the galleries, and museums. I've got two weeks to build up more muscle!
 
@Threads You should have crossed your arms and legs too......because I had to cancel my massage :( Lots of snow - no ice yet but way more snow than the weather experts predicted. I will do some stretching here at home to loosen up a bit and look forward to next week's massage.
 
@ljrfrm - so sorry, should have done that and had Doug wait on me hand and foot - for a good cause! When is that incredible weather back east ever going to end! I'm out here worrying about the shoots from one of my peonys already a few inches above the ground in the big pot I have it in. They shouldn't be visible for at least another month. I was trying to think how I could protect them in case we get temperatures dropping below freezing, which is still historically possible. Crazy, crazy winter but eastern Canada and the US got the brunt of it, so I shouldn't worry because it's too mild here!

I guess the silver lining gives you quality time in your recliner. What did the store say when you contacted them about the noise?
 
@Threads I've been so busy fighting to get my broken new ovens fixed that I haven't followed up on the recliner noise. I really need to! I may just have to live with it.....which makes me sad - but I still love my recliner :) Maybe it just gives it character!!

The weather has been crazy this summer. My son only had school one day this past week between snow, ice and cold temps. We got 10 - 12 inches today.
 
@Threads The weather has been crazy this summer. My son only had school one day this past week between snow, ice and cold temps. We got 10 - 12 inches today.


I can see the weather is seriously getting to you :heehee:. I think you need to find a beach further south for Spring Break this year - somewhere nice and warm. How many snow days did you get this week or don't you get them with the promotion unless you literally can't get out of the house? I can't even imagine how high the snow is now, if you added almost 12 inches today. I just remember the snow of my childhood and being able to create tunnels through the snow piled up by the plows and shovelling. The memories are fun but I wouldn't want to live in southern Quebec now. My brother and SIL just returned to Edmonton after being out on the coast during university reading week. He phoned this morning to say it was %#^* cold there. They'd dropped about 22°C just going from Vancouver Island to their home.

Enjoy tomorrow.
 
@Threads LOL I guess I was just dreaming of summer. We actually haven't had that much snow this winter - more up north. More little snow storms - but we don't do snow well here like up north, as schools close very quickly. With my new position, I only had one snow day this past week - the other days I had to go into the school - there were only 2 or 3 of us there - nice and quiet!

So, since PT the other night, my right knee has really been popping when I bend it. I've had some clicking before but never big pops like that - I feel it in several places and sometimes it does several big pops in a row. It is a bit unnerving, but doesn't hurt at all. At the same time, it feels a little looser in there and doesn't hurt as much going down the stairs. Hopefully everything will calm down soon.
 
Hi ljrfrm Congratulations re work
I also have swelling upper outer on both knees....looks like chipmunk cheeks full of nuts. Some days more so than others. I am 3.5weeks post op and haven't done anything about this yet....just letting the healing do its thing. Hope the snow let's up enough and you get your massage. Take care, Maggie x
 
@Maggie94 Thanks!!! I have been following your thread and you are doing great!! At 3.5 weeks out, you are so early on, you are right to just let healing run its course. Take it easy and make sure to rest up! Keep up the great job with recovery!!
 
Wow, that would be unnerving. I wonder what's causing that at this stage of the game? If you can hang in until your massage on Saturday, she might be able to feel if anything has changed. Hopefully you can be gentle on your knees for a few days, until that knee settles - if not, can you get in to see your OS? Hope you've enjoyed your recliner today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom