Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - what a great, concise report of your journey, so far! It's an easy record for other BTKRs to look at and not get discouraged as they slowly progress on their journey.

Hope today wasn't a tough one and your recliner was waiting for you with open arms :wave:
 
Thanks @Threads - had one of those days, so I am very lucky that my recliner is always there for me :) Today is PT, so hopefully she will work some magic. In addition, I didn't go to my massage this past week as she was at a conference, so luckily Sat will be massage day too which should really help!
 
When you read it that way it seems so fast :) You're right about forgetting things that at the time you think you could never possibly forget. After I had my 2nd knee done, I read back through my thread and made myself some notes of where I was at, at approximately the same time in recovery. If I hadn't read it I thought I was much further ahead with the 1st one but in reality I hadn't been. To this day, I still can only remember tiny snippets of my 2nd night/3rd day in the hospital with #2 and that's a VERY GOOD THING!!! LOL!! Some things are better off forgotten. My triplet to your twins is feeling great these days. Still a little tightness now and then but nothing that really bothers me or that I think about much, at this point. Stubborn #2, which was 3 months old yesterday, now that I think about it, still feels very tight even though it bends really well now. I still have that darned hard feeling inside that I can't explain. Now, if I could just get it to go another degree or two straighter I'd be set for the long run I think. It's very close but just not quite there. BTW, my aunt who had her TKR 2 months after my 1st called me yesterday :) She's 81 and doing great and they are getting ready to go to Hawaii at the end of the month. She's amazing!
 
Hope today wasn't a tough one and your recliner was waiting for you with open arms :wave:

had one of those days, so I am very lucky that my recliner is always there for me :)
Those recliners are a god-send! I could fall into mine and not even think about getting out of it for a while!
so luckily Sat will be massage day too which should really help!
I am sure that the massage will do wonders!
 
@gr82cu2 Reading through my thread reminded me of how much our knees had in common! Seems like we often followed the same course. So, I'm sure once my knees begins to feel looser, your knee will too. I'll be sure to write you so you know to expect it, LOL.
 
I'll be sure to write you so you know to expect it, LOL.

Yay! I can't wait! I've been on my feet a bit today and my right leg is tight, tight, tight! I so wish that would stop happening. (((Hugs)))
 
It's the weekend, yay! Hope you and your recliner have a happy reunion. What's happening with getting the noise fixed?
 
@Threads I haven't done anything else with getting the noise fixed, as I'm busy fighting to get my new ovens fixed. I swear, it's always something. At this point, I think I'm going to write a letter and see what happens - my recliner is usable, just noisy. I may go back to the store as well and talk to the manager.

It's been a nice weekend with lots of relaxation. I had a 1 1/2 hour massage yesterday - all below the waist. She worked on the glutes and hamstrings (plus IT band) all the way down to the calves, spending much of the time working on the knees and fluid. I was so tight, and today those muscles are a bit sore from her work, but my hamstrings feel so much looser. While my knees feel just as tight and swollen as always, she feels they are much better than when she saw them two weeks ago. Two weeks ago she said my knees were like "balloons" and now they have definition and she can feel different parts of my knee where as before she couldn't. That was nice to hear as I'm getting a bit frustrated that all my rest, ice and meds aren't helping. She says we are on the right track and keep doing what I'm doing, and hopefully I'll notice improvement soon.
 
Good idea to get the store manager behind you on the recliner! The manufacturer won't want a store not recommending their product to customers!

It good to know that you are making a bit of progress with the massage therapist. I can understand the frustration of the slow progress at the moment.

Did you ever feel that your feet and ankles were swollen? I can't see it much but it feels like it.

Hope you have a "kinder to your knees" week at work. Counting down to Spring Break? How long do you get? Here they get 2 weeks. Our son is headed to NY for meetings and our DIL will go with him - she'll be on Spring Break too. So we'll have the twins for 4+ days, which should be fun.
 
Let's see a picture of those swollen knees :) I'm just curious, of course. You don't have to. My left knee is back to being defined.....looking like a normal knee (sans the scar) with a knee cap that sticks out when bent at the correct angle and lays flat when my leg is flat or straight. It still feels somewhat stiff and occasionally a little sore but really, the right knee still rules so lefty gets left out of the sympathy chain most of the time. Now, righty on the other hand, is still swollen and not back to a normal shape. There is a pocket of swelling that I can see all the time right at the upper, outer corner of my knee which I guess is part of my quad. :shrug: When I bend my knee to the point where you could normally feel the open joint it feels full so I know there is still fluid in there and that gosh darn hard, stingy, burny, achy, tight, stiff feeling just will not leave. It's not too bad when I first get up in the morning but builds as the day goes on, especially if I'm more active on my feet. My hamstring tendons have really been revolting lately and alllllll the muscles in righty leg are unhappy campers. It's like I can't get them to loosen up no matter how much I stretch, rub, whatever! :flabber: Another strange thing which I think is nerve damage, is when I rub little circles around the inner part of righty I feel it on the outside of my knee! Really weird. It's like it's a mirror image of where I'm rubbing it. :dubious: I don't know, I'm just soooo over this and I know you are too. I wish everyone all the best and a perfect recovery of course, but sometimes when I come here and read the threads of people who were operated after me and see them writing about all the things they can now do pain free it gets downright depressing. :sigh: The thing is, and I keep telling myself....works sometimes, other times not......is there is NOTHING wrong with me or my implants so I know it will get better with time. :beg: Hey, we all want to be the one in eleventy billion who has a miracle recovery, right? I really need to stop being a cheapskate and get a few massages!

I sure hope for your sake you can get that recliner fixed once and for all. And your ovens too!
 
@gr82cu2 You really should try the massage. I found out that I get a good discount going through my insurance - so it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. My fluid is in the same place as yours.......upper outer area (near quad tendon) and I also have some in the lower inside portion. My knees themselves don't look so swollen - it's all on the inside (other than the puffs of swelling in the two areas I mentioned). I'll try to take a photo tomorrow. I agree with you - I get so happy for those who are doing well - but it certainly is hard to see what others can do. My friend is posting photos of her ski trip and it's so hard to see - I have to remind myself that this will pass!

@Threads You're not going to believe this.....BUT, I just got a promotion at work and now will be on a different contract with NO spring breaks, Christmas breaks or summers off. Yikes! But, I do get annual leave now and still plan to take the week of spring break off (the kids get one week here) as we're going to the beach. So summer in my recliner though :( I am happy though that I got the job........just have to get used to the new "real world" work schedule.
 
@ljrfrm congratulations on the promotion at work. Spring break at the beach will be fun. Hopefully your knees continue to improve with the massages.
 
WOW - congratulations on the promotion! It will be hard this summer to say good-bye to your recliner though, but if the promotion is something you enjoy - it will be worth it. I worked in the business sector so envied our son and DIL's nice summers. However, you'll get used to it and someday you'll be able to have your holidays off season, when the crowds are smaller. We enjoyed that!

When is Spring Break there? It has to be later than ours to be beach weather!
 
@Threads I will definitely not be beach weather yet, but it's a vacation away from home. And any day at the beach is a good day (spring break starts March 30th).

I am sad for my lost carefree summers but glad for a chance for more leadership opportunities - so we'll see how it goes.

My knees feel a bit better today - still so very stiff but not quite as painful. That's good news considering I biked quite a bit yesterday. Tomorrow I work with the trainer - will make sure to still take it easy and see what my PT says in a few days when I go.
 
Your Spring Break starts a lot later than ours, but then your spring does as well. Ours starts March 9th. We used to go to Tofino - right on the Pacific Ocean at all times of the year, and loved it. I agree with you that any day at the beach is a good day!!! Now we go in summer with my brother and SIL because that's when she gets the time off. It's hard to justify holidays when you're retired ;-)

You did do a lot of biking yesterday, so I'd say it's progress that your knees weren't screaming at you today.
 
Congratulations on the promotion! I knew you were going for it but I guess I missed the part where you got it :)
 
@gr82cu2 I just found out the other day :) Thanks!! Still doing mostly the same job.....but some more leadership opportunities.

Hope your knees are treating you well........I'm real stiff today - but maybe a bit less pain on the stairs. Will this all ever end???
 
I'm ok :) Feel like I'm stuck in the movie Groundhog's Day! For some reason the past few days my inner thighs have been very tender. Weird!
 
@gr82cu2 Wow, Groundhog's Day is the PERFECT way to describe this ride! Wonder what's up with your thighs?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom