Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - you inspired me to get on the bike! I'm doing some laundry today so was hanging out in the basement anyway. Boy, is it easy to forget it's there - out of sight, out of mind. I'm cruising today on one ibuprofen- that's all I've had. My stomach accepted it better today than yesterday because I sandwiched in between gulps of my smoothie. Yesterday, I thought all I'd have for pain was Tylenol and my oxycodone, which I'm trying to avoid. I'm doing really well, but having a hubby with a cold and not being able to get in the van yet - means quiet days at home. He thinks he feels well enough to drop me off and pick me up at the pool in the morning. I've been sneezing, hopefully we haven't shared.

I'll be interested to hear whether the recliner company honours it's warranty. Hopefully, you'll get it either replaced or as good as new before the warranty runs out.

I agree about it just bring great to get away - says me who was away from home for almost 5 weeks! But, hopefully a hospital stay topped by a rehab hospital stay doesn't constitute a holiday - just a change of scene.

Fingers still crossed to get you a long weekend - does it look like it's working?
 
@Threads I'm glad that bike was calling your name. I was very gentle at the gym but walked a little and then rode the bike. Then I iced when I got home. My knees still feel a bit better than a few days ago - I think the meds and backing off most exercises is really helping.

Your 5 weeks in the hospital/rehab definitely doesn't count as a vacation - so you deserve to be planning one too!
 
@ljrfrm - wow, that's good news. It will be interesting to hear what your PT says on Friday.

OK, if you insist - we'll keep planning a holiday for this summer. I DO have to be able to climb in the van first, though :yes:
 
Thanks for asking @Threads about my PT appointment. I had my "first" appointment today. I went to the same person I have seen all along, but given that I had officially left and now I'm back, she had to do the full reassessment. My ROM was 123 in both legs when I left - it's now 129 on the left and 127 on the right. I haven't really worked on my ROM this past month and I hadn't loosened up when she measured me. I was happy it is continuing to improve, despite the new issues I'm having. Note: I had such issues with ROM and started at 70 and progressed SO slowly. This shows that if you give it time, it can work itself out. My extension was 0 in both legs when I left - it was still 0 on the right but the left was 2. Given that I hadn't loosened up and knew I felt tight, I'm not too worried about that. She watched me walked and I was doing well with everything we worked on before but she felt I wasn't moving my hips like I should and that made my walk look stiff. So, we'll work a bit more on my gait next time. She watched me do stairs and thought that looked very good and I had made huge improvements over the last month.

Her take on my pain, fluid and swelling is that I have tendonopathy in both knees, and she agrees with the doctor that I need to cut out the exercises that put force on my knees and to continue with the anti inflammatories. She taught me a few eccentric exercises (said to do those over concentric) which should help. She feels my issue is related to the tendon being stretched and scar tissue in the tendon has caused the problem.

It was a good visit although I am still a bit bummed that I have taken this step backwards. But, overall I have progressed so much over the last month that I just have to remind myself it's all good and I will get past this.
 
@ljrfrm - you wanted it confirmed that you were on the right path with the anti-inflammatory meds. Now you know, so - to me - it's a step forward. You are going in the right direction, not side tracked in an area that isn't going to help you improve. I think your improvement in your ROM is amazing and so is your extension. The work that you have done in the gym is proof. It sounds like the pool would be helpful for you - taking the pressure off your knees. Did you ask her about exercises you could do there?

You are doing great - don't give yourself a hard time and look at the positive!!! Pay attention to your last sentence!
 
@Threads I'm going to take a step back and do all the pool exercises I did back at the beginning - no stress on the knees, getting the blood flowing and keep moving. It's a bit hard during the week with work, but I will definitely get in this weekend! Brrrrrr - but I will do it :) Thanks for the pep talk!
 
@Threads I didn't see it as strong at all - no worries :) And thanks @Minnie's knees I have come very far and I have to remind myself of that. It's hard when you are feeling better in so many ways yet the knees still hold you back. But the fact that I'm feeling good and so much better is a positive - and I will just take my time getting over this speed bump!
 
pesky tendons! Boo!
 
@ljrfrm - I'm butting into your quiet weekend. Did you make it to the pool, or was the weather too bad. I've been trying to figure out what eccentric excercises are, and my imagination has taken me all over the place. I hope you've spent some quality time with your recliner!
 
@Threads Sorry, I didn't realize this post was here - too busy watching the Super Bowl and stuffing my face! I did have a pretty quiet weekend, but it was nice. I didn't go to the gym - I decided to take the week completely off since the swelling and pain wasn't improving. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to help. Honestly, I'm in hardly any pain (just a bit of aching at times) sitting around - but standing up from a chair, sitting or going down the stairs hurts. Not terrible pain or anything, just burdensome.

So, eccentric exercises: "Muscle contractions involve shortening and lengthening while the muscle is still producing force". The one she has me doing now is sitting on a chair normally. I use a looped belt or something to lift my foot up so my leg is straight so I'm not using my quads or any muscles to lift it. I then tighten my quad and use muscles to bend the leg back down again. So I'm not using any muscles to straighten but using them to bend - so just one direction. Not sure if that makes any sense.

I'm off to work - up and out bright and early because I have another all day training.....these teacher workdays are harder for my knees than a regular day with students!
 
I'm writing this too late in the day for you to read it tonight:-( I hope your all day training was easier on you today, after resting your knees over the weekend. I also hope it was your last day of training because your normal work day seems a bit easier on you.

Thanks for the explanation of eccentric exercises! I knew they were serious exercises but my mind kept picturing you doing them in a bright glowing gown, with a red, wide rimmed hat with a long flowing feather dangling off it. Or, having to read Robbie Burns poems while you exercised - it's just a few days past Robbie Burns Day. I thought both of those could be considered eccentric ways of doing exercises.

Your description does make sense. I do the full lift and slowly let down in the pool to build the strength in my quads. Maybe you could do that in the pool as well, using one of those long foam tubes to lift your leg up. Can you take something for the pain to help you get to where you've improved the situation?

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
 
@Threads Thanks for making me giggle this morning with your exercise description! I did a great job of icing and elevating last night, so although my knees felt tight going down the stairs, they didn't hurt as much. I'm back at the gym today with the trainer but will work on balance, and other less stressful exercises on my knee. I will do some easy biking too but just for a few minutes to loosen up. No time to get in the pool today but I definitely would like to do so soon. Have a great day!! I'm still in awe of you and your "standing for two hours" accomplishment!
 
@ljrfrm - I'm glad you got a giggle, I had a lot of fun trying to think of eccentric excercises! I've had a friend over visiting today but I just read the word "bike". Whether you know it or not, that was your reminder to me to head to the basement and ride for a bit. Thanks!

My "standing for two hours accomplishment" was done with a cane, I couldn't have done it without.

Hope you had a better day today!
 
@Threads Good girl for biking! I worked with the trainer for 30 min and warmed up on the bike for 15 min. I usually will walk or bike after, but am still trying to take it easy so instead I came home and turned my fireplace on. Now off to ice!
 
@ljrfrm - I didn't bike for long :-( I have to read the manual and figure out how to set it up, one more time! However, I made up for it around 9:30 pm and decided it was time to do my floor exercises. So I did my regulars, added a new one, iced and went to bed. Got up this morning at 7:00 and headed out to the pool shortly after. Gave my legs a really good workout in the pool for over 1/2 hour. I can't figure out why they are a bit sore now :shrug:
 
Six month update: Can you believe it??

So, I read back through my thread for the first time today - in honor of the six month birthday of my new knees. It was fascinating reading through it, as so much I had forgotten already. While I remember I had a rough first few days, I don't remember having problems with pain control, or being that miserable. Funny what the mind forgets. As I read, I realized how far I have come - but also how much more bothered I am with my knees now than around Christmas time. It was great to see all the support I've received since my surgery! Here's my brief 6 month recap for anyone who doesn't feel like reading through the whole thread. Hopefully it might be helpful to someone. I enjoyed seeing my ROM progression.

Aug 4th: My surgery lasted 3 1/2 hours. Doctor had me walk from the gurney in the hallway to my hospital bed.
I spent three days in the hospital and had 90 degree ROM upon discharge. I went directly home from the hospital, and tackled my 15 stairs that first night back to sleep in my own bed. Pain meds at discharge were Hydrocodone and Tramadol.
Day 4: First outpatient PT - ROM down to the 70's and swelling up!
Week 1: ROM 77/71
Week 2: ROM 78/68 (yikes!)
Week 3: ROM 90/87 Amazing how it improves when you get a handle on the swelling! This week I went all the way around on the bike for the first time (backwards)
Week 4: ROM 95/96
Week 5: ROM 100/96 Pedaled around forwards for the first time. Went to son's soccer game.
Week 6: ROM105/101
Week 7: ROM 105/102 Pain meds down to 1 Hydrocodone in late afternoon and 1 at bedtime.
Week 8: ROM 106/106 Walking up stairs easily - still going down sideways
Week 9: ROM 114/107 Began swimming - climbed out of pool using ladder without problem.
Week 10: ROM 114/108 Hydrocodone now only at night. Tramadol still during daytime. Walked one mile.
Week 11: ROM 118/110
Week 12: ROM 120/114 Off Hydrocodone. Just Tramadol as needed.
Week 14: Went back to work Part Time. Tramadol just at night.
Four months: ROM 120/114 Back to work Full time. Walking two miles (slowly)/Biking 5 miles at gym.
Five months: ROM 125/120. PT finished - working with trainer at gym. Focusing on quad strength, balance, stretching, etc.
Six months: ROM 129/127

As I've posted recently, I'm having issues with fluid/swelling on knees. It doesn't cause me pain per se, and I don't take anything during the day other than an occasional Tylenol. However, I do have pain just when I stand, sit and go down stairs. I have a tight feeling in my knees similar to around month 2 or 3. I'm taking Voltaren, resting, icing and I'm back at PT once a week. Hoping to get this under control soon.

It's been quite a journey so far - hoping that the ride will get a little less bumpy over the next 6 months.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom