Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on getting your repaired recliner back. It must feel like heaven :)
 
So, today I went for my weekly massage. I started it three weeks ago and I highly recommend it. The first week I went for one hour - but that was only enough for my lower half and it was like a giant tease to not touch my back. So, I go now for 1 1/2 hours and it's perfect. She starts with about 15 min on my back and then works her way down.

She works on my glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves and the IT band issues I've been having. The IT band pain is much better so it is working. My hamstrings loosen up with her but tend to tighten up again within a few days. She has also been working on my knees and the swelling that I just can't seem to get rid of. My right knee has swelled up a bit more over the last few days. I elevate and ice after work but it doesn't seem to go down. She says I have pockets of fluid - and she sees much more on the right side too. She used Biofreeze today and did lots of massage on both sides.

I see my OS on Thursday so it will be interesting to see what he says about the swelling. I know that it is still normal to swell, but the additional swelling is causing me pain when I am going up and down the stairs. I haven't need to take any pain medication this week, not even Tylenol. So, I guess it's not really pain - more of a tight, discomfort feeling.

@referee54 - Were you still swelling at 5 and 6 months out? How long were you swelling for?
 
The massage seems like it's really working for you. I'll have to keep that in mind - we have a very good one not far from us, so I can use him if I feel I need it further down the road.

I'm looking forward to see what your OS has to say about your swelling. Was it as bad over the Christmas break? Good to hear that you are getting to the point where you don't have to take any pain meds! I know it's not the end of the road but you won't know when that is. One day you'll realize you haven't taken meds for a month!!
 
So, I had my 6 month (a few weeks shy of 6 months) OS appointment yesterday. Both xrays and physical exam showed that everything looks good, nothing is loose, knees are tracking well, etc. The OS noted the swelling I'm having and agreed that I have fluid on both knees. My right side is worse, but both knees have been getting more painful each day. OS asked me questions aimed at ruling out infections (i.e any fevers, etc.) which I answered no to all. He asked if the knees feel stable, do I feel anything moving, etc. I told him overall my knees feel great (so smooth) and my quads, etc. getting stronger each day. But, at the same time, I have more pain going down stairs, getting up from chairs, etc. He told me that he could drain the knees and make sure no infection, but as we all know, the needles into the knees could cause more harm by introducing more of a risk for infection.

Given I have no other symptoms, and it's both knees not just one, he really doesn't have an infection concern. So, he prescribed an anti-inflammatory and is sending me back to PT once again for 4-6 weeks. He wants me to return in one month. I plan to continue with the massage therapy as well. He told me to be careful at the gym and PT also, and not to do any exercises that would place stress on my knees such as squats, step-ups, etc.

After two anti-inflammatory pills yesterday (and lots of icing), this morning I had no pain going down the stairs (it still felt very tight) for the first time in a month. Possibly coincidence? Not sure but it was nice to be able to walk downstairs almost normally.

So, at almost 6 months, I'm still on the roller coaster and have taken two steps back. But, I will stay on this ride to the end - and continue to do everything I can for a successful outcome. As I told the doctor, I am still very glad I did both knees at once, and in some ways, already feel better than I did before the surgery.
 
[Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!
@ljrfrm, you're not quite half way through the recovery process, so there's still a lot of improvements coming your way. It's taken me three years to finally reach the point that I hardly think about my knees at all---and I LOVE them!

You'll be amazed at what another 6 months will bring for you. So keep your chin up, keep thinking positive thoughts, and working slowly but surely to strengthen and recondition---and SUCCESS will be yours!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@bottomshollow Thanks so much , it's so helpful to hear from others who made it to the other side of the mountain :) I'll keep plugging away..........
 
i'm glad your doc has nixed things like squats for now which can aggravate the knees more. I hope the anti-inflammatories help.
 
I'm betting the anti-inflammatory helped you a lot, even in such a short time. I know how hard you've worked so it must have been discouraging to have the pain and swelling increasing after all this time. You probably need to just baby them a little while longer. Glad things are feeling better this morning.
 
Thanks @kneeper and @gr82cu2 It is discouraging because I was so good at only doing what dr. and PT told me I could do, but now I feel like I did this to myself for doing too much. Aaaack. But, I have no problem following doctor's advice and backing off - and hoping the knees will settle down and be happy again! I'm going to spend the weekend relaxing and icing! (Brrrrrrrrr)
 
Don't beat yourself up! You did the best that you could do.
These things happen, and it will resolve, given time.

I'm glad your doctor is taking the approach that he is.
 
@ljrfrm - you haven't taken two steps back! You've found out why your knees haven't been happy - and that's a step forward. I'm glad you're on anti-inflammatory drugs. Just on the side, and not suggesting you do it, but I've avoided inflammatory foods for about 4 years (dairy, gluten, and nightshade veggies - potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant). People talk about the pain prior to surgery - I didn't have a huge amount. I was bone on bone and I couldn't stand for any length of time without my knees locking. I couldn't walk far without discomfort but certainly not the pain I've read about on BS. I remember testing tomatoes once - I love tomatoes - and I paid for that with pain. All I'm saying is, it helped me.

Sounds like your OS is a good one and seems to have some good ideas and knowledge of the recovery process, not just the surgery. I'm glad he's given you more PT and that you are keeping up with the massage. There IS light at the end of the tunnel and we'll both get there!

You have been told to take it easy, so into the recliner you go and give those legs (and yourself) a rest after having a full week at work! With your fireplace on and a good book or TV, be good to yourself.
 
Thanks @Threads! I've been really working the past year on eating better and my rheumatologist gave me a list of anti inflammatory foods, etc. that I've been trying to add to my diet. I actually haven't had any dairy, gluten or sugars for three weeks now. I hadn't realized they were inflammatory foods. I will have to do some research and learn more, thanks!!
 
@ljrfrm - good for you!!! I haven't mastered living without sugar yet - I really need to work on that, it's so addictive. There is a book that I bought and used. I've bought others, but hers was informative plus good recipes.

https://www.amazon.com/Meals-That-Heal-Inflammation-Eliminate/dp/140194034X/?tag=ate362da-20

Doug gets his own breakfast and lunch but he eats my way at dinner and he's survived. Last week, because I no longer have arthritis in my knees, I decided to try small potatoes (it was a pretty blend of white, yellow and purple). I had a very sore stomach for the rest of the evening! I didn't want to believe it was the potatoes, so I cut down to a couple of them a few nights later. Same stomach ache, just milder. My naturopath said that I should leave trying to bring back foods for a while yet until my body has finished working so hard on my knees. Don't give it too much to deal with.

Hope you had quality time in your recliner tonight - you're probably in the land of nod by now.
 
@Threads I will definitely take a peek at this book, thanks!!

I went to the gym yesterday with the trainer but we were very gentle and didn't do anything that put pressure on my knees. Last night I elevated (higher than I have in quite some time) and iced, and had another dose of the anti inflammatory meds. Going down the stairs this morning felt a bit better - less pain, just tight. I'm off for my massage, I have a lot for her to work on today. We have more snow coming so that may give me Monday off work too - so it will be all about keeping my knees happy for the weekend, and maybe even Monday (rest, elevation, meds, stretching, etc.).
 
@ljrfrm - hope you are nice and relaxed from your massage and you are curled up in your recliner. It's good to know that the new meds are helping.

Doug is feeling a bit better today and actually decided to go down to our own pharmacy, not the closest one, and talk to a pharmacist who had my records, about adding ibuprofen into the mix I'm taking. He just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any conflicts. When you work in a certain industry all your life, you know about the things that can go wrong. Interesting, he found out that it could trigger my asthma. However, I'm not worried about that, I have a very mild case of it and it takes a houseful of cats to get it really worked up. So, tonight, if I can't sleep - I have ibuprofen.

I haven't excercised for a few days - slaps her hand. Not going to the pool the last few Fridays has thrown me off. I've spent the day on the computer updating things for a friend - the only thing getting excercise, my other end, certainly doesn't need it! You've been so productive the last few days.

Fingers crossed for a snow day and a long weekend for you.
 
@Threads My massage went well. She spent the whole hour working on my knees (lymphatic massage) hoping to get the fluids moving. I came home and decided to hook up to my ice machine. I haven't used it in a few months, as I've been just using gel packs lately. Unfortunately, one side isn't getting cold. I have the splitter and have always been able to ice both knees at once. So, with one side not working, I had to alternate which was a bit of a pain. I will have to unplug everything tomorrow and see if I can figure out where the issue is. Hubby and I spent the day watching TV and I was doing some research for an upcoming trip next summer. It was a nice relaxing day (in my recliner, of course!).

I'm glad Doug is feeling better. It sounds like he didn't pass it on to you which is great. You're right, you always have to be careful of drug interactions - that was great he went and checked on everything for you. Hope you sleep tonight! I think the Melatonin is really helping me - although despite sleeping 9 hours last night, I've been tired all day.

BTW, sad news.......my recliner is NOT fixed :(
 
The ice machine AND the recliner! What a nuisance. I'm more concerned about the recliner, hopefully it's still under warranty. If so, you could say that you will mention the Brand and the poor service on the forum you are on, as a warning to others who might be considering buying one. You don't have do it - just say that you are considering it.

Last night wake up #1 was discomfort and #2 was my Restless Leg. I've had it for many years and had hoped it would disappear after surgery but no such luck. Latest research thinks it's hereditary but no one really knows how to treat it or cure it. The only thing that works for me is the homeopathic remedy by Hyland's called Restfull Legs. Even when I was on strong oxycodone, it didn't even touch the RLS. The RLS lives in a world of it's own. So, I get up, take my remedy and walk around. I used melatonin years ago, before I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, when I was trying to figure out why I was so tired all the time. Once I'm over this stage, if sleep doesn't straighten out, I may try it again. I just remembered - that was when we couldn't get it in Canada and I had to go to the States for it!

It's nice having a trip to plan, remind this aging and semi-functioning brain where you are planning to go. What's left of my brain says Europe, middle to southern.

This summer we'll do our week on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Walking the beach is one place I can get really centred. We've been going for about 25 years. We always went off season and loved it but for the last 10+ years, we've gone with my brother and SIL. She's a university prof so, like you, is limited to when she can take holidays. We'll also probably go on a bit of a road trip, camping in Harvey. I don't want to go on our big 50th trip until I know for sure I can comfortably walk cobbles with my camera in my hand.

I've been brook-like again. Time to ice my knees and think of bed. Enjoy day 2 of your "long" weekend :ok:
 
@Threads I've never had RLS, but from what I hear it is very difficult sometimes. There are a few others that have it on here and also seem to find relief from homeopathic sources. Hope you were able to get some sleep in. I crashed and slept from 11:30 pm to 10 am - I guess I needed it. I wake up tired though - someday I need to get my sleep looked at to rule out a sleep disorder - I think it has more to do with some other autoimmune stuff I'm dealing with. My knees still feel a bit better when walking down the stairs - I will keep up with the babying and anti inflammatory meds and hope I see some real progress over the next few weeks. I am thinking about going to the gym today - just to do some light easy biking - to stretch a little bit and get the blood flowing. I won't go far and will go easy. I'll need to get out of my recliner first LOL.

I start back with PT next Friday (I couldn't get in sooner). It will be nice to see her again, and it will be interesting to see her take on all that is going on and see what my ROM is.

I think I will send a letter to the store, documenting the difficulties with the recliner. It is still under warranty - I just got it in July. It works fine - just makes noise when going all the way back. I will request a new one - I am sure I won't get it but doesn't hurt to ask. Also, the letter documents the problems so if it gets worse, even if out of warranty, they'll (hopefully) need to work on it.

We have a few trips coming up. One is a cruise out of Boston, and we are considering spending several days up north before then to see the beaches, etc. The other is heading out west to Oregon and visiting friends. Nothing too exciting but it will be great to get away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom