Guest viewing is limited

MUA It's been a long time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd isnt it I said to my dentist well who shall I blame if I get an infection in my knee and he said The people who make the rules regarding antibiotics so no blame will lay at the dentist or the orthos door!

I have a lot of pain in it all of a sudden today,the mouth that is so wether it's aggregated by something or an infection I'm not sure I've bought a strong mouthwash in hope to keep any bugs at bay.
 
I makes my blood boil that because stern official internet advise comes for another country, it is totally disregarded what is standard of care protocol by the American Society of Orthopedic Surgery.

@Josephine
@Nyland
Unsure if this comment was meant to agree or disagree :scratch: with the ADA and AAOS? :what:

The standard of care protocol as published by the AAOS in December 2012.
HERE

My OS does not require any prophylactic antibiotics as in keeping with the standard AAOS protocol, though my dentist has in the past. May end up choosing a new dentist as I do not want to take antibiotics unnecessarily; huge risk for me as I have horrible antibiotic allergies.
 
I had conflicting advice in the beginning that's why I was double checking it my surgeon originally said I would need them and dentist said I didn't but the guidelines have changed since I had the replacement in 2010.

I have to say it can be very confusing.
 
Good dental hygene, brushing and flossing daily to avoid gum disease, and cavities is the best approach.
The antibiotics guidlines keep changing and every dentist and OS has a different idea what to do. :hairpulling:
 
The dentist thinks my teeth are decaying because of all the sugar in my medication Oramorph and although they do a sugar free version my GP won't prescribe it due to cost and issues getting it.
So my dentist has prescribed a special toothpaste.
 
Hi Natalie

I'm an interloper from the Hips side of things. I've been interested in following your thread as you are at Wrightington. So am I.

I had an accident on New Year's Eve 2009, and had hip surgery in Jan 2010. Later I developed an infection, and had a 2 stage revision before Christmas. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. Obviously I've had a few experiences of pain over the accident and the 3 surgeries, but I honestly can't say pain has been my daily companion, as it is yours. That is very debilitating, I know.

I wanted to stick my ten penn'orth in re dentistry. Before I left Wrightington I asked my surgeon if antibiotics were needed before, during or after dental work. He told me that the current guidelines from his professional body are that there is no evidence that dental work can cause infections on prostheses. He added that in his opinion there is a danger in taking regular antibiotics like this, as a time might come in the future when you really need them for something else: and you have built up a resistance. I can see the logic in that. (In fact, this aspect was in the news a few weeks ago, as I'm sure you saw on TV.)

My dentist is helpful, but does not seem to have any guidelines from his own professional body.

I am very careful about dental hygiene (as I always have been), and when I go to the dentist now I use mouthwash just before I go in, use the whole cup which the dentist provides, and have some ready in the car to use on the way home. I've no idea whether that does any good! But it makes me feel better.

This whole thing is a bit of a minefield, isn't it? I have no idea what caused my late onset infection. Very probably will never know.

All the best to you.

Glynis
 
Hi Glynis,

Lovely to hear from you thanks for replying to my thread great to know someone else who has been treated at Wrightington who is your surgeon?Isnt the conflicting advice so confusing!I think I will do the exact same as you regarding mouthwash before the dentist too I can only imagine how worried you are after having an infection already.Has the revision been successful?i really hope so xx

My pain is very intense :( Ive just done something silly and tried to put a case on top of the wardrobe and as I did so my knee went and I felt my knee cap pop and its moved a lot more than its ever done before and my quad muscles are quivering like crazy!I have iced medicated and rested straight away but I've such a busy afternoon this is the last thing I needed :(

I hate moaning I really do but I feel there's one thing after another just now it's so frustrating!!

I'm sorry guys for going on xx
 
Natalie...stop apologizing. You are going thru a time right now and we are the ones that are NOT going to say to you "Suck it up, you are acting like a blubbering baby":boohoo: . (This sounds like something my husband might say... ). We are here for each other. That is the reason for this group. We care about each other. We have been down the pain road. You have been hurting for a LONG time :headbang: and soon you are going to resolve this. At this point you need to take one day and one moment at a time. When you see the new doctor be sure to tell him you are a SuperMom :flwrysmile: and don't take very good care of yourself. You are going to make it through all of this and when you come out on the other side, you are going to have learned many lessons that many of us have never had the opportunity to experience.
 
Dear Natalie....I'm so glad you're resting. Hon, you are always welcome here to talk about what is bothering you. Your BoneSmart family understands and has a basketful of virtual hugs to send your way. Please don't feel guilty about taking care of yourself. You'll feel better than if you tried to just push on ahead.
 
Wrightington have just rang me they aren't happy with recent blood results and they've also spoke to my Ortho Oncologist and want to talk to me about it.I have an appointment in a few weeks.

I told them how when the knee cap moves now its not going back 100% into the right place.
 
I don't understand your doctors. They aren't happy with your blood results but aren't going to see you for a few weeks?? When my doctor saw an abnormality on my blood work, I saw her the next day. I would have seen her that same day but was unable to get there that day. Yes, figuring out the knee issues takes some time, but when the blood work shows that something is wrong, then that needs to be taken care of immediately. I guess I don't understand how the medical process works in your country.
Sorry you are struggling still.
 
Natalie, you are going through so much right now! :console2: I'm with Coachie , I can't believe that your doctor finds a problem with your blood work but won't see you for a few weeks?! :skep: I don't get it either! Is there a way you can call them back and get a sooner appointment? I would be on pins and needles, especially if I was worried about an infection my friend!
 
Hi guys it was my GP that sent them the blood results as he did them twice to make sure I didn't have any sign of infection after the tooth issue and an ear infection and I also have under active thyroid so was having routine bloods 1st set was elevated 2nd set was higher so he rang Wrightington as I've had 2 sets of antibiotics so he gave them the results and the secretary said to me they were concerned and would get me an appointment so I though it would be straightaway and she said the 13th May so I said that's not very soon really?And she said it was 1st available :(
She is ringing me if anything becomes available sooner,she asked how my pain was and I said agony as always!!
 
Well they've rang me today again and the reason they can't see me straightaway is because Mr Porter himself wants to see me and he doesn't have an appointment available for a few weeks,I asked about the blood results and do they think I have an infection and she said they would determine that at my appointment and to be prepared for them to maybe take some fluid off my knee?!
She also said the main reason he wants to see you though is to discuss what he's talked to oncologist surgeon about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom