PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Actually ran on my new knee for about 40 seconds today. It was on the treadmill at the gym but it was fine and I have no ill effects! I may try for a minute next time. I used to do it now and again before my surgery just to see if I could do it! You never know when you might need to run.
 
That's amazing! Sitting in bed in hospital on day 2 of recovery the thought of running is, well, unthinkable!
 
@Raffs this surgery is wonderful! I am only 7 months out so still some way to go before my surgeon said it would be completely healed but it was lovely to be able to run even for a very short time. Not going to make a habit of it though just now and again.
I hope you are feeling good today and have managed to get some sleep. Have they given you a date to go home yet?
 
Your recovery is such an inspiration. I hope I feel the same in 7 months. I had a rough morning (vomiting and pain and a difficult PT session). Slept a few hours during the day. The afternoon was better (nap, better PT session, pain under control, short walk). It'll be Saturday or Sunday I hope.
 
At just about 8 months with nothing much to report except that my knee is wonderful and just to show how far it has come, I can now put 25kg on the leg press at the gym and it's fine. When I get to 30kg, I am back to where I was before the operation!

The knee hardly ever crosses my mind these days - thank goodness for the NHS and my wonderful surgeon, his team, my equally splendid husband and all the lovely people on here who are ever ready with help, encouragement and advice. I am so very lucky!
 
@SuperSnapper , question for you. I'm 11 months into my PKR. I won't go into my issues on your thread, but you say that your knee hardly ever crosses your mind these days. Does that mean that it just feels like a normal knee should feel? You don't notice it much at all? I've thought (found out different) that I was doing great, I did 100 squats a couple weeks ago in ONE set!! But... I can't say that it ever is unnoticable. Sometimes a little ache.. sometimes more, doesn't usually "hurt" but maybe on occasion... Just wondering if my normal, isn't normal as I thought.....
 
Great update! Good news for those of us just 16 into recovery!
 
Great report, Snappy. :yay:
 
@Dlekapj most of the time my knee does feel just like my own knee and has done since about 10 weeks out from surgery. Very occasionally it reminds me that it's there - odd twinges, a little nippy pain ( increasingly rare now) and it's a bit stiff first thing in the morning but eases out straightaway on movement. My other arthritic knee is a bit stiff too but not enough to worry about. But those things are so minor compared with before so yes it feels normal. And it's got better each month. I do forget all about it most of the time. My surgeon told me that most of his patients who have partials report similar success. I find it hard to believe that it feels so good.

Ouch squats! I don't do those! I did try but found other ways to exercise. I took the exercise very slowly and never pushed myself to pain doing anything. On a couple of occasions I did a bit much at the gym without knowing it and ended up with pain accidentally but a couple of days icing and rest sorted it.

I hope you resolve your issues.
 
@SuperSnapper its great that you are just getting on with your life!
My first knee is the same - it just pootles along nicely doing the work I want it to do and hopefully this second will just follow suit.
I totally agree with you about not pushing to pain when exercising, going slowly, respecting ones new knee.
Warm wishes and a toast to the success of your lovely new knee!
 
@SuperSnapper
Hi Mary, I've just read your recent posts, I'm not on the site much these days. I'm glad to read how well you are doing, isn't it just wonderful to get our old lives back again? I have been playing in the garden with my grandson, and occasionally been able to break into a run. My daughter wants me to help her out with caring for her horse, so I'm even considering riding again. Well done you on your success at the gym, although it seems a long time ago we were supporting each other after our ops, in reality 7 months is nothing to get back to normal again. Life is definitely much better now.
 
@Ellejay I agree life with a new knee is pretty cool. Like you I get to run after grandchildren and have fun. Walking is no longer a painful experience and the knee doesn't figure largely in my thinking any more. We are very lucky to have had such a good experience. Long may our new components continue! :loveshwr::loveshwr:
Hope you get to ride again - why not?
I think we should contact each other at 12 months out to see how things are progressing.
Someone I hadn't seen for a long time asked me how I was now and it took me a few seconds to remember she meant after my surgery! Can't be bad!

Mary x
 
You are such a pair of stars. If anyone hasn't read your threads they so should do. Take care pals
I agree.

Thank you both for posting such encouraging reports.
People in the early stages of recovery need to see such positive results. It reminds them that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Absolutely!! I've been in the doldrums these past couple of days so this is great to read!
 
Really, really tough 5 mile hike done today over some very rough ground, up steep hills and down again, over moorland and through a forest. Knee was AMAZING! This knee can put up with a lot! I am going to try for 7 miles next time maybe over easier terrain but today was great!
 
Chortle. I suddenly had the inner head pic of you doing a Julie Andrews singing the hill are alive with healthy knees. Nice one lass, as ever inspirational.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Back
Top Bottom