Guest viewing is limited

PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

I'm impressed with your swimming abilities @SuperSnapper and @Ellejay! It's the side stroke for me, that's all I can manage. I've thought if taking lessons again at this late stage in my life, but I'm getting a good workout in aquafit with the other folks who are a bit wrinkled, like I am ;-)
 
I used to be a good swimmer but had to stop some years ago when I ran out of cartilage- too painful. I've been back in the pool a few times since surgery but I've forgotten what to do. Will have to take it slow and get back in the rhythm. I got a pair of Tyr "shortie" swim fins. Love 'em.
 
@Threads I keep trying to work up the courage to go to Aquarobics ... I am not much of a joiner when it comes to exercise classes. But my gym membership does include them so might give it a go. I too have the wrinkles and the bits where everything is going south but they are badges of experience! :rofsign:Who am I kidding?
My knee is great today again - no pain - just a bit stiff but giving the exercise a rest today and then walk and gym tomorrow. It's now so much better than my other knee and feels very dependable - still get an occasional feeling of a potential buckle but it never does do it. I can even go down stairs with no hand rail at all! Whoop Whoop! And I can run back up the stairs too :loll:.

@Clipless the pool is great for resistance workouts even if you don't swim. I have never used fins but they might help the knee I suppose?

It's the weekend! Enjoy!
 
@SuperSnapper - the secret of aquafit for me is that I'm so not a morning person! Aquafit starts at 8:00 am, so we get up at 7:00, out the door at 7:30 and in the pool shortly after 7:45 - well before I'm awake and realise what I'm doing. We're very lucky that we have a great pool very close to home. I know I wouldn't do it if it were later in the day, I would have found some other distraction by then!!! I don't chat that much with the other folks (not awake yet) so I just get on with what I'm there for. It's made a huge difference in my recovery.

I'm glad to hear that your knee is happier! I can go downstairs without holding on but still can't run upstairs. Good for you.

Hug coming to you over the Pole.
 
@Threads Maybe a will try the class. Just not much of a joiner in physical stuff.
Today I am taking 22 seniors to Liverpool on an Art Trip to galleries. When I say "taking" I organised it all but will be glad when they are all safely deposited back home tonight. I think the knee will stand the strain but my patience might not. It's been a nightmare to organise so far :banghead:. Still I have more patience after my knee replacement so today it will come in useful.

:tantrum2::tantrum2::tantrum2: This will be me at some point today!
 
I'd say I'd be thinking of during your challenging day but I'll be asleep during the worst of it! How did you get yourself in a situation where you have to be a "herder"? Often as we are leaving the pool in the morning, there is a bus loading up "seniors" (note - I'm not one in my mind yet ) as they head off to somewhere or another. There is always some patient person with a clipboard checking people off as they board the bus. Can't imagine that I would ever be one of those people climbing on that bus, but I've learned at my wise old age, to never say never! Have fun, if you can.
 
Hi @SuperSnapper if you join an over 50's only group, no one cares or stares, we are all shapes and sizes and the social side is great. I will be returning to aquacise on Thursday as by then I'll be back in Wales. The whole baths are closed for the session which suits us all down to the ground (the South bit mentioned earlier!).

You feel great afterwards honestly xx
 
My outing went well.everyone had a good day and didn't need too much "herding" . Best part was the knee coped so well I didn't even need to think about about it once!
But I am glad I don't have to organise anything for a while. @Threads It was just my turn to organise an outing for my Art group. I could have done a lecture/talk on an artist but thought the outing would be easier. It wasn't and it's a talk for me next time. :rofsign:Today is a rest day :wave:
Hope you have a good day.
 
Chortle, now snaperoooooo whats that cattle prod doing in the corner. Im with you would rather do the talkmits wayy easier. Rest now you have done your bit.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well, just when I thought I was fine, I had another painful day yesterday:badspidy: but it seems much better today. I'm only posting so that others can see that setbacks might happen but with care the knee will be fine. I rested yesterday and it's much less painful. It's a bit annoying as the knee had been great for about a month again, no pain and to the stage of forgetting about it. It's much, much less stiff in the mornings these days too. I'm not worried as it keeps getting better and the knee is so strong now.

I have thought and thought about what could cause the incidents of pain and the only thing that links the two episodes is long car journeys the day before the pain started and some discomfort during the journey! Could it be that? If so, it's a real bummer as we are driving to Switzerland in 4 weeks! :gaah::tantrum2::tantrum2::tantrum2::tantrum:

We shall see what happens.
 
Sheeeesh and I thought Snaperoooo tantrums were over, chortle. It prob is the car and sat in a funny way. Re wee road trip we all get stiff and sore on long journeys so stop, enjoy the scenery have a stretch. You may get there a tad later but hopefully with less ows. Good to see you pal

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@SuperSnapper I have to say I have been reading your posts with much interest.

I am having PKR Surgery on May 12th and I have been trawling the site for UK partial's so I have a good comparison. Hope all going well with you. :)
 
@jacs65 Hi, glad you read my posts. I'm really well thanks and my knee is great. I can walk for up to about 5 miles, the lungs let me down before the knee does! I've got back the bend ( about 145) and extension (0) I had before the operation. I am pain free apart from the odd set back when the knee has hurt and I've gone back to icing and resting but it's just got better and better and the set backs are fewer and further in between and my last one was just a day of discomfort which has gone now. The whole process has been pretty good and I followed the advice on here, did hardly any formal physiotherapy but I did do heel slides and straight leg stuff every day. At about 10 weeks I was back in the gym but took everything very slowly. If an exercise hurt, I didn't do the exercise again for a few days and can honestly say I had very little pain at all but every one is different. I did get off painkillers as soon as possible as I have kidney problems and really took very little in the way of meds.

My best friend was my gel packs. I even went to sleep for weeks with ice on my knee! I iced and iced and iced again and took lots of rest. For the first 3 weeks I spent nearly all my days elevating, icing and resting and it worked for me.

I'm sure you'll be fine. There's lots of support on here and helpful advice. But listen to your knee.

I see you are hoping to have a PKR - the only note of warning I would say is don't feel too bad if you wake up and they've done a TKR - apparently it happens. My surgeon warned me about it before as they usually reserve the right to do that if the knee is worse when they go in. But mine was fine and I hope yours is too.

Let us know how you get on. I'll look out for your posts.
 
We just can't totally rely on these knees yet, I'm sorry you have had a bad day the other day, but generally you are doing really well. I'm impressed with your 145 bend, that is fantastic and walking five miles is a great achievement.
Yes, I'm having great fun with my grandson, he spoke to his daddy on the phone and told him he wanted to stay at Grandma's house for nine nights! I'm honoured and really pleased he is so happy here, but I think I'll be shattered if he sticks to his nine nights.
 
@suppersnapper. Great to hear you were back in the gym at 10 weeks, that gives me hope for our planned holiday in France, 12 weeks after surgery - a little cycling I'm hoping but we'll see.

I have heard that PKR can turn into a TKR, as yet OS has not mentioned this at all, I'm guessing he may mention it when he comes and talks to me on the day of surgery?
But I'm mentally prepared for the surgery full stop and if that means TKR then so be it, but fingers crossed it stays as the partial variety :) Not so well prepared for Spinal block and sedation as I have never had anything like it before but learning so much from this site.

I've just taken delivery of a knee wrap with six ice gel packs, one set on my knee, one set frozen and one set freezing :idea:

Bye for now and will definitely keep you posted.
 
@jacs65 The spinal was really good. Please don't worry about it. In fact most of the stuff I worried about before was fine on the day. I didn't think I had any sedation but I did nod off a bit and I got the feeling back in my legs really soon after the surgery which was very reassuring. The spinal has none of the nasty after effects that a general can have and you will feel fine.

Great news on the knee wrap. Ice will be your best friend and it's a great painkiller.
 
@Ellejay It is lovely when they feel so comfy with you but I know what you mean. I am shattered when we have ours to stay over and 9 nights is a long, long time

xx
 
Hi all,

today it is 6 months since my PKR. Nothing much to report really but felt I should mark the day in some way.

My knee is good, a bit of pain ( not the nasty pain of before) on odd days but it goes away, I can walk for miles, and most days , as I said before, I forget about it altogether. Still is a bit stiff in the mornings but wakes up after a few steps and I actually ran on it once chasing after my grandson and nothing bad happened! The scar is fading very nicely and just looks a bit pink in places still. It gets itchy so I have to remember to moisturise that area regularly. My knees were never a thing of beauty but I am quite proud of my scar now.

The really good news is that my other knee which is now my bad knee has been behaving really well since my surgery and has only threatened to lock up a couple of times. I know it will need doing but that's for the future.

So all in all pretty good really. Would it do it again? Yes, I think I would and 5 months ago I would not have said that! For me it's been a positive experience all round.

Many thanks to everyone who has supported me on this trip. You know who you are. It's been a pleasure to know you. Your support given freely, often when you were in recovery yourself, has been brilliant. I will pop in now and again to support people having PKRs. I think it's good to read about someone else's experience with the surgery and it certainly helped me when things got a bit worrying.

Best wishes to all my bonesmart friends and especially to Ellejay, Legin, Threads, Clipless, Nana Moon 27, DJ Brund
 
Wow that is feat news. I wish I would have been able to keep my partial.
It seem to be an easy recovery. Best of luck to you..:


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom