PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Thanks for the tip re walking poles, I do have some actually. Will ask hubby to dig them out of the attic.
 
Well at over 9months out from my surgery, I've been having a new pain on the lateral side of my knee where my numb area is. I think my nerves on that side may be waking up! It's a bit like the nerve knitting needle pains I had early on but not quite as sharp. Definitely feels like nerve pain! I am not worried about the numb area - it can stay or go but the pain is a new thing. We shall see but it's not stopping me doing anything.
 
That's where my pain and swelling is. The numb area is less numb now. GP has today prescribed me Gabapentin to see if that helps as it can feel like it is burning. Hopefully your new pain will be short lived and won't require meds.
 
Just catching up @SuperSnapper
Your walk looks lovely and your knee is is doing you proud! Glad all is well and I hope your lateral ping shoves off. I get a little frizzle there sometimes but I think I did with the other one and it just went away.
I can now feel how much less numb my right knee is compared to the left. Its really odd how its obviously "woken up" without me realising. I thought the big numb bit was there to stay!
My left knee PKR feels quite different to my older right PKR - its got two years healing on it I suppose and memories fade.
I agree it's so very good to be doing things again!.
 
Completed a 7.5 mile hike today so feeling pleased with my knee. Not a particularly taxing walk but longer than my usual ones. Bodes well for our winter walking holiday in Austria in the New Year.
 
Nearly 11 months after my PKR I climbed up 280 steps in the Dom (cathedral in Berlin) and down again with no ill effects! Yay!
 
Glad you got down, that's harder on knees

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thats a Yay to you from me too! My two new knees are ticking along well and walking more and more - isn't it a relief? Before you would have been looking for the banister to slide down!
 
@Legin There were a few stops on the way and I did think a bit before I did it but it was worth it for the view.
@Hopper Glad to hear your new knees are doing well too. It is surely a great relief to be able to do things today.
My other knee played up a bit the day after but that on needs attention so not a surprise.
I can recommend Berlin for a short break. Great fun and lots to see and a good tourist bus that takes you round to all the main sites , hop on and hop off type.
 
I always use them and they might seem pricey but its all day travel and the bus tells you where and what and takes you there.simples

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well 11 months out and yesterday completed my most ambitious walk yet - 6+ miles with steep hills and many - about 15 stiles of various types. I've done the distance before but not the elevation or stiles in such an amount.

For American friends, stiles are ways of moving from one field to another. We mostly have dry stone walls around here in the Dales and the stiles can be either wooden or stone and vary in type and steepness so a real test for the knees. One particular one entailed climbing up onto a 6' high wall and sitting on the top, swinging legs over and climbing back down on stones embedded in the wall.

I was very tired when I'd finished and my knees had had enough exercise but today they just feel a bit tired still so a good day to do things at home. Thank goodness for my one year old PKR!

I have my first year follow up in three weeks so am looking forward to telling the surgeon what I have been doing since I last saw him. My bad knee held out well too.
 
Excellent updates. You inspire me and give me hope! Please keep updating from time to time, it is so good to hear from you.
 
Just had my one year follow up appointment with my surgeon and have been discharged altogether. The implant looks great and everything is normal - what a great word that is! What was really pleasing was the the bone spacing on the lateral side of the knee looked good too. So now all I have to do is enjoy my new knee.

My other knee will need doing eventually but not yet and I don't want to rush into it.

Annoyingly, my new knee is a bit sore this morning but it's yet another soft tissue thing , both surgeon and I thought that, which I am sure will resolve itself quickly - it usually does and then I rarely think of my knee.

Good luck to everyone who is going through this all - it will get better.
 
Great news, @SuperSnapper! No stopping you now - not that anything has ;-) Hope the weather gives you some beautiful outdoor photography days ahead, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. :flwrysmile: :cheers: :friends:
 
:santa hug::tree2;:reindeer: Happy Christmas @SuperSnapper, will you be out on a long walk on Christmas Day? Just think how we were limping about this time last year, isn't life good now! :dancing::reindeersleigh
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom