PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Tired from working so its a good tired.I walk several miles each day but its fine. Tried a bike but silly foot just not playing the game. Today sorting a fire pit and doing a Potijie for, the family. A big sort of casserole loads of veg, chixken and stock cooked in fire pit. We have a large pot that deff resembles a witches cauldron, ogreish or what...

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Fantastic!
I'm so pleased that you are enjoying life again now and that those few months of pain were all worth it. I feel exactly the same, I have my son and family living with us for a couple of months because of their building work, I'm playing with my 3 yr old grandson all day, every day, I'd never have been able to do it before my TKRs. Yesterday I realised that I'd hardly sat down all day, yet my knees were fine- it's just SO good :dancy:.
 
@Legin your casserole sound great and I am so pleased the work is going well. Good tired out makes such a difference to sleep too. Much better than the sitting about at home "fatigue" that we've all been through.

@Ellejay I can't believe it's gone so well for us both. My knee just doesn't enter my thinking most of the time . I just do stuff and it copes. I'm so glad you are enjoying life to the full.
Hope my second knee , when it needs doing, goes as well. It's so lovely to catch up with you and Legin sometimes. I think we supported each other very well.

Mary xxx
 
That casserole sounds wonderful @Legin, I'm glad that you are enjoying life in spite of all the pain you are in.
 
Another great update from you, thanks. Can't wait to be able to go on long walks again, did 9 miles this time last year before my knee got very bad. Love to hear your news - keep it coming!
 
On my 9 month old Partial I did a challenging walk and made it! Here's a photo of part of it and this wasn't the hardest bit!
[Bonesmart.org] It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery
So for anyone is the darkest depths of recent knee recovery, there is hope.
 
Yabbbberdabberdoo, go girl. How was the going down. I find I can get up slopes, not very gracefully mind you but going down I struggle. Or of course do the speed decent, doh doh doh

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh BTW re your early post we were grand recovery buddies

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin O recovery buddy! We didn't go down that way - it was quite steep the way we did got but not quite as steep as up. I worked out that I had to have at least a 145 bend to get up as some of the scrambling meant that my other leg was completely extended and my new knee completely bent to reach foot holes. It was great! It was only a three miler but my toughest challenge so far. We climbed only about 500ft but it was a bit tougher than I expected.
 
Nice one see its like recovery the end requires thought, stamina and a wee tad adaptation.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
That is amazing! I cannot even imagine doing something like that at the moment. I am struggling to walk up the hill near my house to the shops! So hope that in 7 months time I feel more like you do! Great to hear.
 
@Raffs Slow and steady is the answer. Hills are tricky and I did my first biggish one at about 3.5 months but found it hard. Down is much worse than up as my other knee is now a bit of a nuisance but I do everything slowly. You are still only just over 2 months out from your surgery. It will come and in another month I bet you feel your knee can cope with so much more.

I was so pleased I was able to do this walk with my family. It was our 45th Wedding Anniversary and my husband has been wanting us all to do this walk for ages. He was a bit doubtful about a quarter of the way round as he had forgotten how steep it was but I managed it and felt great afterwards!
 
Oh I hope so! I have had a few days of despair this week, got a very sore and tender patch of swelling that just won't quit and is driving me crazy. Been wondering if I've done the right thing. But your story does give me hope. I've been rubbish going downhill for years, think that is partly the issue - confidence.

Congrats on the anniversary - that's amazing. It looks like the Peak District? Or near to you in Yorkshire?
 
@Raffs Thanks for the congrats. It's Yorkshire, Wharfedale, we live about 30 mins away and spend quite a bit of time there when we can.

Re the sore knee you have, I had odd days ,and sometimes the odd week, with soreness for ages afterwards so don't despair. And use walking poles for downhill, if you have them. They take so much pressure off the knees - about 30% ( a physio recommended them years ago) and they will give you confidence. We've booked a week's winter walking holiday in Austria for January so I will really be testing the knee then but so looking forward to doing it!
 
What a great hike! I wonder about all the human history of that spot.

I am off hiking right now due to my other knee, but when I was scrambling steeps or taking any BIG step up (for example trying to climb two stairsteps at a time), I could make the bend but TKR still wasn't strong enough, therefore I've had to rely mostly on my arms and/or my non-surgery knee. Hiking will be interesting with two replaced knees. Will I end up with huge arm muscles, like Popeye??
 
@Clipless My PKR copes really well, just lack a bit of strength in my arms and hands but I love @Legin spinach idea! Hope you get your knee sorted soon, Diana. These days we have are too good to be spectators.

Re the place we walked it's in the Yorkshire Dales - limestone country with lots of dry stone walls demarcating areas of land and very bleak and quiet.
 
@Legin A bit further north than Heathcliff country which is around Haworth but very similar but I think there is even bleaker.
 
Well done @SuperSnapper, that walk sounds just wonderful and I know exactly how you felt afterwards, it is just so great to know that we can do all the things we always could before our knees started to play up.
I am having a wonderful time here in France, I'm walking, cycling, swimming (& I can now do breast stroke again) and generally having fun.
I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing, let's just hope that our other joints don't spoil things for us.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom