Guest viewing is limited

PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Hi SS, I like all your walks! I've cut back on hiking lately, but I do walk miles at work and force myself to take stairs even, so I guess that's ok, but not as fun as walking in nature. I'm about a month ahead of you and those sore, swollen days- the ones where I wonder, "what the heck did I do THIS time??", are getting fewer and farther between. When I get extra pain/stiffness, I find that doing several sets of straight leg raises (formerly the bane of my existence) helps. I don't even know why.

Take it easy at the gym.
 
@Clipless I'm just off out for a walk around near where I live!

You sound as if you are getting a lot of exercise at work anyway but not fun walking. I hadn't even thought of trying leg raises when my leg is stiff but I will give it a go now you have mentioned it. It's good to hear that you are slowly but surely improving and feeling like you are winning but this is not an easy gig!

I don't get much swelling but the set back I had last week scared me as it came out of the blue. I must have done something the knee didn't like but I am puzzled as to what it was. Still, I am getting back on track so have to be very grateful for that.

You take it easy too xxx
 
Hello all, here I am at about 22- 23 weeks. My knee is mostly fine but I am still having some pain issues on and off which I didn't have for the first 18 weeks or so. It comes and goes so I think it's soft tissue pain. I can walk for ages and exercise at the gym and my ROM is back to +145 and the leg has always gone completely flat. But.... I just wish I could go back to about a month ago when the knee was behaving immaculately. I am sure it's a minor setback and I still do forget about it sometimes but I cannot overdo things as my knee complains the next day. Ive gone back to icing it when it hurts and that really, really still helps. But, after what some people endure, it's small potatoes really. I'll just have to keep smiling. My surgeon said 6-12 months for complete recovery so I'm on track.
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, like you, I don't use the site that much these days, not much to report I suppose. My knee is very similar to yours, some days it lets me walk for ages, I can stand in the kitchen baking as long as I like, but recently it has started to swell, and once that happens it's bad for a few days. Like you as well, I had a really good start, so this is quite frustrating, and, I know I keep on about it, I am very disappointed I still can't ride my bike. My OS said anything up to 18 months for the soft tissue to recover, I just hope it won't be that long. In the meantime I'm back to icing and elevating. Good luck, one day we will be able to forget these knees! I do my first one, so I am hopeful the second one will catch up.
 
You both are an inpnspiration my knee twin friends as you are almost like twins. Not just in similar recoveries but how you have supported each other im proud to know you both.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have a grand time watch that knee

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin I will take care and have decided to cut out the xtrainer at the gym for a couple of weeks to see if that is aggravating things. Just watched an interview about keeping fit when we are older - they were advocating walking and stretching, flexibility exercises so going to limit myself for a bit to see if my bloomin' knee settles.
Hope you are feeling ok today?
@Ellejay hope you had a good weekend and the knee is behaving itself. Mr P took his bike out yesterday first time for ages, chain broke and he fell off and now he is using MY gel packs!
 
Me thinks, I know its rare, you have made best decision pal, sometimes a wee rest is as good as working hard on it

Legin THR Sep 14
 
22 weeks and counting!

Yesterday walked about 2 miles and 3 today. The knee is feeling much, much better so no gym until Friday for me but another walk tomorrow. I've been sticking to pavements but it's quite hilly here so a bit taxing on both knees. So far, so good.
Still a bit painful at the top of my shin bone and stiff when I wake up but it is wearing off and it doesn't swell at all. Nobody ever said this would be easy but I would like to get back to where I was just 16 weeks ago.
 
Now Snaperoo tha knows it has its up and downs but well done tho you will be doing the Pennine way soon at this rate.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@ Legin No! not me not the Pennine Way! Too big a risk of rain might do for my hair and the knees would complain dreadfully! Off to Switzerland for some mountain walking in June so have to get the knee up to scratch by then. But cable cars up and down and walking on the tops mainly will be the thing. Other knee moans if I do too much downhill walking :) Meanwhile it's walking the mean streets of outer Leeds for me :)

How is the nerve pain going? I hope you are feeling a bit better.
 
Chortle, lucky you hope your yodeling skills are ok.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Walking is great for seniors- I read somewhere that hiking is especially good because uneven ground improves our proprioception (hope I'm using the term correctly) so we are less likely to fall. Hiking in Switzerland sounds like a pure dream vacation. Disneyland's "Matterhorn" has made me long to see the real deal since I was a child. Will you bring your trekking pole(s)?

I had a wonderful, steep little hike Sunday up a hill near my house with one trekking pole. Despite having to untwist from my silly dog's leash numerous times I actually beat my pre-op PR (personal best time) to the top and felt strong throughout. Over the next two nights, however, I was "rewarded" with a little ITB and patellar pain. One Tyelenol and a day off fixed me up. Tomorrow I will try to beat Sunday's PR. I'm headed to Sedona, AZ next week, where I plan to mix in a different activity each day- hiking, horseback riding, kayak- hopefully my knee will stay happy. I bought new trekking poles that are super light and fold up really small, also some low-top hiking shoes. I love my boots but they consume precious space in my luggage.

I hope you continue to feel better each day.
 
@Clipless Great to hear from you. I am definitely taking trekking poles with me. We are driving down stopping in France on the way for 3 nights in Alsace so not limited as to luggage.
I'm so glad to hear that you are getting back to hiking. I bet you got a great sense of achievement. It's good to have goals and targets . Your holiday sounds wonderful. I will be interested to hear how your knee copes but expect you'll do really well. Have a wonderful time.
I usually wear my walking boots when we fly so as to keep the space free in bags. They don't look elegant but it helps with the weight :) When we went to New Zealand I bought Saloman trekking shoes and wore them as the boots would have been too much on a 24 hour flight!
I've had a good day, thanks. The knee has been perfect. I've been up and on it all day including lots of stairs and an hour walk and it's been fantastic so perhaps it's turned a corner.
Take care and enjoy that new knee to the full next week xxx
 
Another hour's walk today and then went for a swim - first time I've done proper swimming and the knee was fine. Fingers crossed but I think I am over the blip!
 
Grand lass, we forget really how serious these things are and how long it takes to recover, then throw in the old individuality ingredient in the pot and chaos, oooops thats me.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well done @SuperSnapper, when you swim what stroke do you do? I'm getting back to swimming, I venture into the main pool now after doing my Hydro exercises in the learner pool, but I'm struggling with crawl. I've only ever done breast stroke and I'm finding that well nigh impossible these days. I was always pretty good at breast stroke, and was one of the 'head down, let's do this properly' brigade, none of the 'ladylike swim along, have a chat and never get your hair wet' lot, but I just can't do breast stroke legs any more. I'm practicing my front crawl, but I'm still not very good.
Have a great weekend everyone, xx
 
@Ellejay I am still able to do breast stroke after a fashion:swim: but am thinking of having a lesson or two to see if I can learn front crawl. I taught myself to do proper head in water breast stroke a few years ago but I need some new googles. No point in swimming if you don't get the hair wet too!
Keep hanging in there, Lyn. Your knee will come right. Mine has taken nearly 6 weeks to get over this problem( fingers crossed it won't recur) and I had a partial replacement. It is frustrating but it will happen for you.
@Legin thanks my friend. I do feel a bit relieved it seems to be getting much stronger.

You both have a peaceful weekend

Mary x
 
Back
Top Bottom