TKR ironclm's recovery

I would agree. The question is how to get to that point!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And it is not always a straight line. Congrats on using the pool ladder. I have not yet done that. I think about it but since the steps are there, I go up and down the easy way, which due to my IT band issues is not so easy these days. Again, congrats.
 
How does your back feel after getting on the trainer?

I hope to set mine up in a couple of weeks.
 
I can tell that I have lost some tone of my abs since surgery. Thought it might cause back strain.
 
Until this bout of swelling, my good leather boots actually fit better this year. My calves aren't as toned as they were.
 
A big day! I got into the competition pool via the ladder and got out at the end of my swim!!! No more old people's pool. I ended up doing 1100 m, mostly swimming but some kicking and some slow water running also. I don't have my prior stamina or speed, but swimming regularly should help both of those things.

Kicking on my back is fine. Kicking on my stomach with the kickboard is ok but I am so slow. We also have done a drill in the past where you kick on your side. I tried that but man, that felt freaky so I stopped! Kind of like the first time you try to lay on your side after surgery.

After that I showered and went to the hair salon and sitting around there for a couple of hours didn't help. Though it was way better than the time I went two weeks post surgery and they totally are cool about letting me get up and walk around whenever I need to. When I got home my whole leg was a bit sore and both of my legs had major leg twitches. So I might have overdone it a bit today, but at least my hair looks fabulous.

Speaking of abs above, I told my PT that next week one of the things I want to work on is getting down on the floor and back up. I want to do some ab work and some stretching that's not knee related.

And today was my last day of freedom since I go back to work full-time in the office on Monday. Of course this is the first week since I've had surgery that I really felt good enough to go out and do stuff. Figures.



TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As you know, my kick is weak too. I am going to try kicking doing the backstroke this week (in the Gulf of Mexico). Thanks for the reminder. I guess I never thought about turning over and kicking. I am not a big fan of the backstroke. I keep trying the whip kick but that one feels really bizzare still.

:swim:

Be good to yourself next week as you start back full-time. There is a video that @Pumpkln can show you about getting up and down from the floor. I used it and it helped me.
 
I have seen that video before. I have several problems with it:
1) The demonstrating gentleman appears to be barely 5 feet tall!
2) Women have a different center of mass than men.
3) Taller, long-legged women have even more differences.

I can get up and down from the floor, but I can't do it like the man in the video!
 
The video is a good starting point. If you have to modify it somewhat, that's OK too. What's important is that you find a way that suits you - and sometimes that involves some trial and practice.
 
The video gave me the courage to try it. And I too do it my own way, but it was good to watch him do it. My first two attempts were slower and more awkward, but at least it got me down on the floor. Now I kneel on my non-TKR knee and roll down from there. Ironclm, let's us know how it goes next week. Good luck.
 
I will wait until next week to try it at physical therapy. I live alone so I really don't want to be stuck on the floor for the next three days!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And we don't want that either. :rolleyes: BTW, talking about this enticed me to try it again abot 29 minutes ago. Still very awkward for me, but much better than the first time I did it. I think I am going to put it on my list of things to practice. Good luck next week!
 
I have two TKR knees and I do a modified version of the video. I do kneel (briefly) on one knee. Strangely, it's the newer TKR knee, as I had got used to using that one after I previously had a revision on the other knee.
 
Today was the first full day back at work in the office. Work is entirely overrated! If I could just win the lottery that would be great.

I woke up this morning pretty stiff in the hips mostly. I walked yesterday about 30 minutes and I think that my hips are used to laying on the couch and not walking so they need to get back in the groove. Plus I didn't get a lot of sleep last night because I had to stay up and watch the World Series game. Kansas City is my childhood team so I was very happy to see them win even though the game did go on for 14 innings and I didn't get to bed till midnight.

I went to work by 730 this morning but left about 45 minutes later to go swim (swim is Mon/Fri for now). I didn't easy 30 minutes swim and then showered and went back to work. At work I tried to get up and stand for a while or walk around every 30 to 45 minutes. Walked a couple blocks at lunch with a coworker to eat and then back.

So eight hours is in the books. I will eventually ramp my overtime back up and I have some travel coming up later this month and in December.

My first trip is to New York City and I usually stay in different places around Manhattan and then walk to our office but for this trip, there's a Marriott right across the street from our office and I am staying there since I'm not sure how much walking I will be able to do.

Definitely hitting the bed early tonight!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well done on managing your return to work. :yes!:
Continue to ramp up the hours and activity slowly and I'm sure you'll do fine.
 
Good job. BTW, I am at our condo in Florida and I climbed out of the pool using the ladder and I tried kicking while doing the backstroke. The ladder was easier than I thought and my kick was stronger on my back. So thanks both for the inspiration and the tip. Hope the rest of the work week goes well for you, and good job getting up and moving around. Desk work was a killer for me at first, but it continues to get easier like everything else.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom