Guest viewing is limited

TKR ironclm's recovery

Sounds like you are making progress--slow and gentle wins this race.
 
My ROM seemed to improve the minute I was finally able to do full rotations on the recumbent bike. It was almost like magic! The water therapy sounds great too. I have a feeling your bad luck is about to change. :yahoo:
 
You are just a few weeks ahead of me and doing so well. You've motivated me to look for a therapeutic pool. I love the water and I'm hoping it will help. Keep up with your good work !
 
You are truly doing great. Walking faster than me.

I just did a swim a few hours ago. It felt great. I really need to work on my kick, though. After my swim, the Lifeguard, who noticed I was going nowhere fast on the kickboard, invited me to her class on Tuesday nights on stroke improvement. She said I just need to practice and that it would take awhile to regain my kicking confidence.
 
Yes @Wanttobebiking, kicking confidence! That is definitely missing right now. It's almost like I was afraid to kick in the pool and definitely afraid to push off the wall with both legs. But it's something to work on and get that confidence back. I will go back to the pool on Friday and may actually try the big pool.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So tired today, all day. It's nearly 7 PM and I have not gotten out of my pajamas, nor barely left the couch or the bed, and I took a short nap this afternoon. I could go to bed right now and might.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So tired today, all day. It's nearly 7 PM and I have not gotten out of my pajamas, nor barely left the couch or the bed, and I took a short nap this afternoon. I could go to bed right now and might.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
I approve!
 
Well, I seem to have gotten over my waking up at 2 AM every night, but now I'm waking up at 4:30 AM. I should do something productive instead of surfing the Internet for hours. I'm starting to get bored with all of this laying around.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just checking in with you. I agree this sitting around is getting old. Glad you slept past 2am. It seems I'm waking every hour and a half. How I long for a decent night of sleep. :sleep:
 
Thanks for checking in!

Today was somewhat busy. I met my friend (that went to Hawaii without me) for coffee, then I walked 34 minutes. A record!

Then I went to physical therapy and I was able to actually ride the recumbent bike for one whole mile. And he measured flexion at 100°.

In the afternoon I had to go to work for four hours since we changed our computer document management system while I was out, so I needed training on that. And my director was here from California, so I got to catch up with her and she decided that we are postponing some travel that was supposed to happen the first week I was back full-time (like I would have gone in Monday morning for a couple of hours and then went to the airport and flying to Washington DC for three days). I do have to say I really don't mind that that happened.

So tonight it's legs up, watching hockey, and off to bed pretty quick.



TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last night - in bed before 10PM and pretty much immediately to sleep. Woke up thinking it was maybe 4:30 AM or even 2:00 AM. No, 10:30 PM!! Back to sleep, awake at 2:00 AM, back to sleep and up around 7:00 AM so I could get around and to the pool by 8:30. Got to the pool and they said it was closed! NUTS! I was really wanting to get in today. Later the coach saw my Facebook post about that and messaged me. Come to find out they were actually in there in the back, but for some reason the chick at the front desk neglected to mention that. Oh well.

So instead, this afternoon I went and walked. I did 40 minutes and 1.85 miles. A distance and time PR. A little stiff tonight (and earlier today actually, which is why I really wanted to get in the pool). I can get in the pool tomorrow ~if~ I want to get up and be there by 5:45 AM. We'll see.
 
Oh yea, the other thing is that I now have a big goal. [Note - without competition or goals, I highly doubt I would exercise. I need that competition. Just my personality.]

My goal for 13 months from now: The 2016 USA Triathlon Long Course Triathlon and Aquabike National Championships will take place on November 13, 2016 as part of the Miami Man Triathlon in Miami, Florida.

So that is a 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike. This is actually my favorite distance from when I was racing triathlons and I've probably done 30-40 half Ironman distance races in my past. So, I have something to look forward to and a reason to hit the pool and be back on my bike.
 
Is any running involved, @ironclm ?
The swim and the biking are probably doable in a 13-month time frame.
 
No, Aquabike is swim/bike only.

My surgeon said I'd be racing by next summer.
 
Go for it then!
Do remember to build up the exercise gradually and slowly.
 
I bike when I get the chance and believe a recumbent is a key to recovery. Both mine and my wife's recovery were greatly aided by it. I was allowed a passive motion machine which also helped. The help was I would ride the recumbent until my knee started swelling and then jump in the machine to get all the swelling out. For my wife they don't allow the machines anymore so she used what I used after the machine went away. One of those big exercise balls is perfect for elevating and very light stretching.

I also have a funny story of PT and a bicycle. During my first PT session, six days after my surgery, the therapist had me to get on a schwinn airdyne. You know the one with the huge fan up front and the handles that you can pedal with. well she had me strap in my operative leg and told me just hop up on the seat. Well being the oaf I am I slipped and all I had a hold of was the handles. You guessed it. My operated leg made 2 complete revolutions before I could stop it. She looked at me with a funny look on her face and said "your the first patient that has ever done that. It usually takes a few weeks before they can do that." I was to busy trying to fight back the tears to say anything, but the week after I was able to do it on my own.
 
Oh man, I did the same thing when I went to a hockey game and sat down in the seat like normal not knowing that it was going to make my knee bend more than my knee could bend. I jumped up real fast!


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom