TKR ironclm's recovery

How are you feeling today?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Wanttobebiking Florida! It's overcast and rainy here so I would really like to be were there's warm sunshine. I have actually never been to Florida so I might have to go there this winter. Glad the kicking idea worked out.

I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. But I got to work at 9:30 (lucky that I can come in when I want) and today I had PT at 1 o'clock. Big news! I got down on the floor and back up by myself!!!

I also filled out their little follow-up survey where you rate how you are able to do different things and they total up the points. When I first came in last winter when my knee was really bad, my point total was zero. After doing physical therapy last winter I ended up at 13 points. Today I was up 30 points. Woo!

So, slowly but surely.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] ironclm's recovery



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yesterday was 20 minutes on the bike (indoors). I think I'm very close to trying to ride outdoors. Maybe next weekend if the weather's good.

I also tried walking down my stairs at my house the normal way. I could do it using the railing and the wall, but there still a little pinching pain in one spot on my knee. So again maybe another week. But it was exciting knowing that in an emergency I could do it.

This past week was my first week back at work full-time, sitting at a desk all day. Every night I would come home and lay on the couch a little bit and then go to bed. The one thing that really irritates me is that I am still waking up multiple times in the night. Not from pain or anything. Just waking up. So that means I missed swimming since I oversleep in the morning. I guess I may have to try some over-the-counter sleeping aid even though I don't want to.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I guess I may have to try some over-the-counter sleeping aid even though I don't want to.
It took a week of prescription sleeping pills to get me back on track. No addiction, I slept fine afterwards.

Jim
 
I did not want to try the Tylenol PM either. But finally gave in. It helps! And it is not forever.
 
Trying an OTC sleep aid tonight. I'm more awake than normal. ☹️

And now for a rant.

So sick of this knee. I seriously wish I'd never done this. My surgery knee actually feels not bad. But the hip in that leg hurts like crazy every single step. Like someone was slicing my hip with a knife. And the back of my other knee - the hamstrings and calf also hurt. And I haven't really been doing anything. A 20 minute spin on the indoor bike very easy not even breaking a sweat. And an outdoor walk on Sunday. I saw the PT today and he did some release work on my hip and taped it up. I had bursitis last year but this is an entirely different pain.

Here's how much it really hurts - I skip the hockey game tonight. . I LOVE my Preds and have season tickets.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Problems with sleep are really common during the early stages of recovery. And at 2-3 months out, you are still in the early stages. Remember that most people take around 6 months to start feeling normal again and complete recovery can last a year or more.

You say you're not doing much, but in reality you are. You are back at work. You're trying to also resume exercise and activity that you did pre-surgery. The pain you're having is an indicator that your body simply is not ready for this level of activity right now. My suggestion would be to scale back on the exercise for a few weeks until the pain levels improve and then add it in slowly.
 
Sorry for your disappointment. The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone, etc. Everything has to adjust. That is why it takes so long. I love hearing from folks who are further along the path than we are. It gets better. Some days are pretty darn long, though. And some nights even longer. Hang in there.
 
I just turned 3 months out, and I am usually not aware of my knee at all. Just another knee! I still hit limits that remind me, but they are getting less frequent. It was worth it. I have a theory that they take all the pain they are saving you from in the next 30 years or so, and letting you have it all the first few weeks! :snork:
 
@ironclm Are you keeping your hips level as you walk? The slightest protective limp will give me the type pain you desribe. I have a bad tendency to throw my foot/leg out & forward instead of heel toe proper gait.
 
Cathy Morgan I have similar issues. I saw my NKT Practicioner Friday and she found that the Toe Flexors were tight and causing the pain. When she released them it was like night and day. I now have some releasing and activating techniques to work in for the next 2 months.

https://neurokinetictherapy.com/


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ironclm, hope you are feeling better about the knee. Mine is feeling stronger everyday, but like you I am not yet sure I am happy I had the surgery, but I am getting there.

@Denmother and Ironclm, how do you know your muscles need to be released?
 
@ironclm OTC sleep aids usually have benadryl in them and has the opposite of the desired effect for some people. Benadryl actually makes me hyper and on edge.
Hope your sleep improves soon.
 
@Wanttobebiking I discovered NKT 4 years ago and sought out a local practitioner. I am very focused on finding the underlying reasons for my issues and a way to resolve them. For me there are a lot of issues with tension in the body which can cause weakness and mobility issues. The woman I'm seeing has provided assessment and exercises to resolve the issues. She is invaluable!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom