Guest viewing is limited

TKR ironclm's recovery

Thanks! Feels pretty good today. And.....we measured today at PT. 4 degrees extension (good for me) and 120 flexion! Follow-up with the surgeon next week.
 
Follow-up appointment with the IS today. I showed him the picture of me riding and then comparison pics of assisted squats v. ball/wall squats and he was super happy. His comment - "You have made incredible progress! Get strong and come back at the 1-year mark."

So continue PT for functional strength and hit the gym. He gave me another rx for more PT. Return OS visit in 8 months at the 1-yr anniversary.

This was yesterday. Assisted on the TRX and against the wall at PT.

Happy new year!

[Bonesmart.org] ironclm's recovery



TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Still quite stiff if I sit too long (which I've been doing at work). But, today after being up and around awhile, it was the first time that I realized that I am walking pretty much normally.




TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another breakthrough today - I was able to walk down the all of the stairs at my house like a normal person!
And today, I started a 2 month (2x/wk) swim clinic and was able to do the kicking with no problem (except some twitchy legs tonight).
 
Good for you, Ironclm! You sound great. BTW, I signed up for a stroke improvement swim class that begins January 26. Really looking forward to it.
 
Thanks!!

W2Bb - Great news about the stroke clinic. I think you will get a lot out of it and it's a great way to get back into working out.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Session 2 of the stroke clinic and it ended up being 700 meters of kicking with fins, and I had no issues at all!

We also did some streamlining off-the-wall which means you push off the wall and glide. My brain is still a little protective so I wasn't pushing off as hard as I could. But all in all, not too bad.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am really looking forward to my stroke class but I have to do lots of steps to get to the locker room and then from the locker room to the pool. I think getting back into swimming will be really good for me. I have been avoiding it due to all the steps. Just hearing about your experience gets me fired up.
:swim:
 
Today is my last day of physical therapy and I'm going to transition to working out with my teammate who is a personal trainer. She came with me to yesterday's PT session to pick the brain of my PT (whom I just love) on what to do going forward. He and I have been working on functional strength since he knows I want to get back to racing. It seems that my glutes are weak, which is very typical for a bike racer. I'm a little nervous to leave PT since it's a safe zone for me, and Jonathan and I have become pretty good friends, but I will have phone and email access to him for all my "can I" and "should I" questions.

Final knee range of motion measurements: flexion 125° (L), 126° (R); extension 2° (L), 1° (R). Left is the new knee, aka Bo Jackson. I pass.

Swimming is going really well and I'm starting to get my kick back. Since we've had pretty terrible weather for the last few weeks I haven't been on the bike much. That needs to change since I have signed up for a swim/bike race at the end of June. 1,500 meter swim and a 40 kilometer bike. I did this race in 2014 so I would like to actually beat my time from that year.

Here is a photo showing the scar day one and the scar at five months. Disregard the bad angle on the right, plus I really need a suntan!

[Bonesmart.org] ironclm's recovery



TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom