TKR ironclm's recovery

Daily schedule for the past two weeks: get up; coffee; think about eating, but nothing sounds good; lay on sectional and try to look at Facebook, emails, etc.; physical therapy (comes to my house); take a nap; try to eat lunch; do a couple of hot laps around the living room and kitchen; lay on sectional and rest, usually falling asleep mid-texting or mid-email; do another round of PT with Nurse Dad; try to eat a few bites for dinner; go to bed (usually around 8-9 PM); wake up multiple times during the night. Repeat.

Staples came out Tuesday. Home PT ends tomorrow and we got to 90 degrees flexion today.


A few observations:

* This surgery was quite a bit more involved than I originally thought.

* Just yesterday (2 weeks post-surgery) was the first day that i could focus enough to read a magazine. Thank goodness for reality TV where you don't have to think too much.

* Everything that I thought I might want to eat has not sounded good at all. Or, something will taste good for a day, then make me nauseous the next day. At least coffee is tasting good again!!

* Any physical exertion (even doing easy PT exercises) gives me serious cottonmouth. Like I can barely talk.

* There have been many days where I will just fall asleep right in the middle of whatever I was doing. I feel like I've lost about 8 days somewhere along the line.

* When you don't have to go to work, all the days seem to run together. I need a big calendar and then mark off a day each morning so I know what day it is.

* Rehab is ike a job! And sometimes even the smallest gain is cause for celebration.
 
It is odd to not be able to concentrate enough to read, isn't it? Sounds like you are right where you are supposed to be. Good job!
 
Hi Ironclm,

I have been thinking about you, glad you resurfaced with a post. The first two weeks were the toughest for me. glad your dad is with you. And you are spot on that rehab/recovery is like a job. In the early weeks all I could do is recover. I didn't read. I didn't watch TV. I slept, woke up to take pills, did a few exercises, ate what was put in front of me, lived in my cryocuff, and wrapped my incision in press-and-seal to take showers. Now I am done with PT, don't even want to look at press-and-seal and back on my bike ever so slowly. It does and will get better.

Nice to see your post.
 
The new meds are better, but not as strong. At least I can now eat a little more food (but still pretty picky on what sounds good). Yesterday I left PT and walked 3 long city blocks (one uphill, one downhill, one flat), then got home and ended up the rest of the evening on the couch. Knee was a bit sore/warm and I had a degree of fever.

Back to PT today (which is just how the schedule worked out) and he did a lot of soft tissue work and electrical sim and ice. I had a frustration meltdown. I'll do some walking tonight as I am going to the hockey game.

I need to do an update. Just haven't been in the mood to do anything except lay on the couch and watch TV and sleep until this week.
 
I hear you! Yesterday I went to PT and the grocery store. I didn't eat enough for breakfast and was so wiped out, I ate lunch, took a nap and watched Netflix.

My PT found an adhesion in my IT band and the deep tissue work is more painful than the exercises.

Sending you hugs and healing thoughts my friend. I still clearly remember the ups and downs of my 1st surgery. I was lucky to be working with Georgie Fear who helped me deal with meltdowns and how to deal with uncertainty. Have you read the Sedona Method?
 
My PT found an adhesion in my IT band and the deep tissue work is more painful than the exercises.
How much PT are you doing? It's too soon to be doing two outside activities in one day. Either PT or the grocery store is enough.

I really think it's too early for deep tissue work. I wonder if anything in this article would be helpful?
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
 
@Celle I do PT once per day, 3x week with my PT and 4x week at home. The deep tissue massage is very helpful and the one troublesome spot does release as they work on it. If she goes too deep, she backs off and all is good. Still to sensitive for the foam roller and Stick. I need to try using my LaCrosse ball.
 
6 week update

Well first of all, if I'd known how it would really be, I would have never have done this. I feel like I've wasted 6 weeks of my life and I'd rather have the pain of bone/bone than not being able to ride, to walk right, bend my leg enough, feeling like **** most of the time and losing a lot of extra overtime money and missed travel (work travel, so work pays, but I coordinate personal travel). And reading about other people who have +100 degree flexion the first couple of weeks really depresses me. The ONLY good thing is that I've lost 20 pounds (in 3 weeks) and have kept it off (and will hopefully lose a lot more if I can ever train again.)

Yes, I am in a pissy mood. My life is sleep in, get up and lay on the couch, go to PT 3x/week, come home and lay on the couch, go to bed. And, this week has been the week of the trip to Hawaii that I had to cancel (to coincide with the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon, which I have competed in), so seeing all my friends' photos is killing me.

Currently my extension is anywhere between 5-10 degrees. We know this will be slow since I lived 6 years never fully extending my leg after my arthroscope in 2009. That is what my former surgeon and PT wanted and I didn't know any better. So my current surgeon is fine with that number right now since hamstrings and calf muscles are super tight. Working daily on stretching them.

Current flexion is only about 90 degrees. A lot of pain in the IT band and over the fibular head and calf (one pin-point area), with a little "tightness" over the front of the knee. I can drive if I scoot the seat all the way back to get in the truck then move the seat up. The surgeon said 90-ish is ok for now and he thinks I'll get more in the next couple of weeks since it feels "springy" and not like hardened adhesions. Keep it going and he added 4 more weeks of PT.

Back to work full time on November 1st and ease into it by working a few hours at home for the next three weeks (my request since I work for a large law firm and can work on my laptop from home on the couch). I am really missing all of my overtime money and even though there is one person doing part of my job, the other part has been left and it will be a mess to get all caught up. And the HR woman ticked me off by asking why I need to do part time from home. The General Counsel for whom I work is totally fine with it. She's just thrilled to get me back.

I did get to three hockey games in the past two weeks. Last night was the first night that I've made it for the entire game, sitting in my usual seat, so that's a plus. I haven't been walking as much as I should, since I don't like to walk around my neighborhood (long story) and I really have a very difficult time getting off the couch or out of bed. But tomorrow, I am going to go to the pool and try swimming. The surgeon doesn't want to see me until December 31st and said go for it regarding swimming and walking.
 
6-weeks post-op
[Bonesmart.org] ironclm's recovery



TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your scar looks good
Hope you can continue to get more Flexion soon
It's always a slow go at the beginning but think where you will be in 6 months from now
Can you cycle at home on the bike yet?

Did you have quad sparing surgery?
 
Thank you.

What is quad sparing surgery?

I haven't tried the trainer at home. I don't really like the set-up and am pretty much burnt out on indoor riding after doing it for training for so long. I will have to try it.
 
Hey kiddo, I applaud that you were honest and posted how you are feeling. My 1st TKR was very difficult and stressful. Looking back and having more information now, I actually would have done it sooner. The fact that I let it go so long made the recovery that much harder. I have several friends trying to "hold out" and I tell them my experience.

I didn't have much support or knowledge the 1st time around so I'm glad that you told me about this forum. This recovery is like night and day from the last one and I certainly understand better now about not comparing my recovery with anyone else's. What I have learned is how to sit with my feelings and how to channel my energy into my rehab. I have good days and bad days and the process is definitely not linear.

Keep plugging away and figure out what works for you!
 
I also felt as though I had missed out on a lot of living, especially with my complications occurring on Thanksgiving and around the time of family shower/wedding. But less than a year later I was able to take part in activities I hadn't been able to attend for years due to my knee pain. It will get better. I was able to ride my bike 5 miles 16 weeks after surgery (and I had an infection) and still ride every day. Seven months post TKR I began swimming again ( only because of the infection & I hate indoor pools). By the end of the summer I was swimming 20 laps.
You are right in the middle of wondering when or if it will ever get better, when or if you'll ever have a normal life again. I was so desperate to get out of the house I begged my OS and employer to let me go back to work half days at week 12 (that is a typical time, but I had a second surgery for infection which set me back a bit) . I needed to feel I was doing something g worthwhile again. It will get better. The energy will come back and the your knee will bend. This summer (18 months post) I realized I could squat in the pool!
Everyone's time frame is different because our bones, tissue and bodies are different.
It will get better and scar looks great!
 
Your incision looks great! I'm sorry you're in Regretsville right now. It's a common post-op phase, or so I hear; I had zero regrets with my first knee, and it's still early for my right. Hang in there, it gets better!
 
Thanks all! And yes Nancy - I remember how difficult your first surgery was. Hopefully now that Ironman Hawaii is over, I will feel better.
 
@ironclm I feel you! I went to a bike race yesterday and it was difficult for me, not being a part of the racing. And everyone asks "when will you be back on the bike"? I ended up eating my emotions and sitting by myself all day.

I have my HT MTB set up on my trainer with flat pedals and I use it daily as my warm up. I detest indoor training but the 15 minutes on the bike is a necessity for warming up and loosening the knee!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom