TKR Iovera, yes or no?

@dawnG try bookmarking this thread so that you can find it in one click!
 
@dawnG …. Is the problem that you cannot find your recovery thread or that you cannot figure out how to add to it once you’ve found it?
 
Another way to do it is, click on your name and icon at the top right of the menu bar - mine looks like (W) WFD.

Then click on 'Your content'. That will give a list of every thread you've posted on. Scroll down until you see your thread and click that. That should do it.
 
What are people doing for flexion at 6 months? I lay down and bend both knees, the new knee is about half a foot higher. If I grab the back of the thigh I can pull it in father. I am
Swimming everyday and working it once a day with this flexion and doing stairs. Just seems stuck like cement.
 
By 6 months I had long stopped exercises for flexion, and I just let my daily activities take care of it. My flexion continued to improve well into my second year, as my whole leg continued to heal and relax. Stop trying so hard to increase it and let time and healing do it’s thing.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
What are people doing for flexion at 6 months? I lay down and bend both knees, the new knee is about half a foot higher. If I grab the back of the thigh I can pull it in father. I am
Swimming everyday and working it once a day with this flexion and doing stairs. Just seems stuck like cement.
I'm just at six months on my LTKA and just use the leg in daily life plus light strength exercises. It still stiffens if I sit too long.
 
Last edited:
Do you have access to a stationary exercise bike, @dawnG ? I found that was most helpful for my flexion. I kept it set for no resistance but gradually lowered the seat position as my knee was comfortable with the rotation.

Keep in mind that you are still only halfway through this year-long recovery so you still have healing to do. Also, many of us (me included) have found that our ROM continues to improve well into our second year.

It does get better -- give it time. :flwrysmile:
 
I’m zeroing in on almost 6 months since my TLKR on Jan 12. Not doing anything special other than normal activities along with a little pickleball. My knee is still pretty stiff but bends ok.The muscle above the knee really hurts especially when getting up from a chair. I guess that’s the tight band feeling many complain of. I’m having lumbar back surgery Aug 14th. Hoping it will help speed up knee recovery as its been an issue since April. Funny thinking I’m still only half way if you presume a fill 12 mos for recovery.
 
Do you have access to a stationary exercise bike, @dawnG ? I found that was most helpful for my flexion. I kept it set for no resistance but gradually lowered the seat position as my knee was comfortable with the rotation.

Keep in mind that you are still only halfway through this year-long recovery so you still have healing to do. Also, many of us (me included) have found that our ROM continues to improve well into our second year.

It does get better -- give it time. :flwrysmile:
It seems as if I should be doing more in the way of stretches and I should be farther along. At the one year mark, I’m supposed to get the other knee done. But I can’t even get up off the ground using the new knee yet. Everything I do I am aware of using the new knee as normal as possible. I feel I’m stuck
 
I’m zeroing in on almost 6 months since my TLKR on Jan 12. Not doing anything special other than normal activities along with a little pickleball. My knee is still pretty stiff but bends ok.The muscle above the knee really hurts especially when getting up from a chair. I guess that’s the tight band feeling many complain of. I’m having lumbar back surgery Aug 14th. Hoping it will help speed up knee recovery as its been an issue since April. Funny thinking I’m still only half way if you presume a fill 12 mos for recovery.
That right band I feel it. Especially going from one position to another after being in that position for a while. Good luck on your back surgery. I’ve had 5 lumbar fusions and that surgery was a breeze compared to the knee.
 
Do you have access to a stationary exercise bike, @dawnG ? I found that was most helpful for my flexion. I kept it set for no resistance but gradually lowered the seat position as my knee was comfortable with the rotation.

Keep in mind that you are still only halfway through this year-long recovery so you still have healing to do. Also, many of us (me included) have found that our ROM continues to improve well into our second year.

It does get better -- give it time. :flwrysmile:
It seems as if I should be doing more in the way of stretches and I should be farther along. At the one year mark, I’m supposed to get the other knee done. But I can’t even get up off the ground using the new knee yet. Everything I do I am aware of using the new knee as normal as possible. I feel I’m stuck
I also strongly recommend a stationary bike over stretching.
My experience in martial arts, a 22 year old ACL graft, and now with two knee replacements this year is that gentle regular range of motion - which the bike is superb for! - gives lasting benefits over time.
Meanwhile stretching has two issues: it is easily overdone, creating microtears in the muscles, and it yields only temporary short term improvement in "the numbers" (my PT was fond of stretching in order to record a better flexion or extension number, until I stopped him and demonstrated that my gentle relaxation ROM achieved just as good results).
 
I can’t even get up off the ground using the new knee yet.
Don't be overly concerned about this; it's not uncommon. At 6 months, I also found getting up from the floor using my new knee nearly impossible. I had to be near a piece of furniture so I could use my arms. Just keep trying -- it will come with time.

It's so hard to let the knee be in charge, isn't it? :console2:
 
Do you have access to a stationary exercise bike, @dawnG ? I found that was most helpful for my flexion. I kept it set for no resistance but gradually lowered the seat position as my knee was comfortable with the rotation.

Keep in mind that you are still only halfway through this year-long recovery so you still have healing to do. Also, many of us (me included) have found that our ROM continues to improve well into our second year.

It does get better -- give it time. :flwrysmile:
It seems as if I should be doing more in the way of stretches and I should be farther along. At the one year mark, I’m supposed to get the other knee done. But I can’t even get up off the ground using the new knee yet. Everything I do I am aware of using the new knee as normal as possible. I feel I’m stuck
I also strongly recommend a stationary bike over stretching.
My experience in martial arts, a 22 year old ACL graft, and now with two knee replacements this year is that gentle regular range of motion - which the bike is superb for! - gives lasting benefits over time.
Meanwhile stretching has two issues: it is easily overdone, creating microtears in the muscles, and it yields only temporary short term improvement in "the numbers" (my PT was fond of stretching in order to record a better flexion or extension number, until I stopped him and demonstrated that my gentle relaxation ROM achieved just as good results).
You are so right about PT needing a better number. The micro tears I think may be happening. Stretch and hold. The pain of such tightness from holding into another position is awful. I do have a stationary and a regular bike. Right now I’m swimming.
 
I can’t even get up off the ground using the new knee yet.
Don't be overly concerned about this; it's not uncommon. At 6 months, I also found getting up from the floor using my new knee nearly impossible. I had to be near a piece of furniture so I could use my arms. Just keep trying -- it will come with time.

It's so hard to let the knee be in charge, isn't it? :console2:
I can’t get up from the ground on the new knee yet. No way can I have the other one done if I can’t. I garden all the time. Running out of time. 7 months soon
 
I am in the process doing deadheading and pruning of xeric perennials for 10-15 minutes every morning, including low lambs ears, with my 6+ month knee and my 8 week knee - but it's been decades since I kneeled or sat on the ground to garden. I do knee-sparing semi squats by relaxing my hip joint at the groin instead of actively bending my knees. And if that were too difficult I'd be sitting on a milk crate.
 
@dawnG, I haven’t been able to use my left knee to get up off the ground for over 20 years. Also haven’t been able to kneel or squat in that time. I have a farm with large gardens. I alternate between bending down from the waist, mini squats like @mendogal described, and (my favorite!) sitting in various positions on a thick yoga type mat. I found a great video that shows the way I get up and down from the ground. It has worked for me after both hip and knee surgeries too.


Give it a try if you want! (:
 
@dawnG, I haven’t been able to use my left knee to get up off the ground for over 20 years. Also haven’t been able to kneel or squat in that time. I have a farm with large gardens. I alternate between bending down from the waist, mini squats like @mendogal described, and (my favorite!) sitting in various positions on a thick yoga type mat. I found a great video that shows the way I get up and down from the ground. It has worked for me after both hip and knee surgeries too.


Give it a try if you want! :)
That's exactly how I do it. And it works with both new knees, favoring the newest one.
 
I am in the process doing deadheading and pruning of xeric perennials for 10-15 minutes every morning, including low lambs ears, with my 6+ month knee and my 8 week knee - but it's been decades since I kneeled or sat on the ground to garden. I do knee-sparing semi squats by relaxing my hip joint at the groin instead of actively bending my knees. And if that were too difficult I'd be sitting on a milk crate.
I am using hard knee pads. Work the garden every day. Even just weeding to be out there.
I started using my 3 person outside swing and using it to push my knee farther. After 3 days of doing it twice a day I went for a real bike ride and it was great!! Only a bit tight, not like before. I knew I was flexing more when I can bring that foot up to wash it in the shower with less difficulty. I swear it’s the swing stretching. That’s what I do when I take a break from gardening. You should have hard knee pads.
 
Back
Top Bottom