Guest viewing is limited

TKR Iovera, yes or no?

This is where you post about your recovery and any questions you have about it. You can go to other threads and talk with them about their recovery. Think of your thread to be a journal of your recovery. That makes it easier to know where to post. You want to be able to go back and read what you wrote over the last months so posting everything here is the best way.
 
I have scar tissue along my spine from surgery and it spasms against nerves. So I am believing the surgeon. This is now very scary to be doing the opposite of what they told me. I’ll have to do a lot more research. What I did research said scar tissue adheres to the bone and you permanently lose your rom.
When we get conflicting information about this recovery then we have to do what we feel is best for our own recovery:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
I’m almost 3 months and my extension is not 0…but I’m not worried about it. It will happen at some point as I am pretty active. I did 15 mins on a bike today, and my knee swelled and stiffened and felt a bit loosy goosy! I’ll rest a day or two and get back to it. BUT, my knee feels stronger every week but still have some pain if over used. Amazing how well you know your knee as the recovery continues. Oh, and I also have a tight hard band above my kneecap. Not sure what it is but will ask my OS at my 3 month appt this coming week
 
I manage hard and my fingers hurt.

Please stop doing this. It is not necessary, and all you’re doing is further irritating soft tissue that is trying to heal.

I will rephrase what I said: stop massaging so hard that your fingers hurt.
 
Maybe the doc means adhesions. But he said scar tissue repeatedly. I know the difference. This is so confusing
Dawn, It's difficult to see you stressing over this. It does sound like you may feel more reassured by doing some research on your own. You can read here on BoneSmart by typing key words into the SEARCH at the top right of the page, do an online search and speak with your surgeon or a member of his care team again with questions that arise from your research, if you find it necessary. Hopefully you can settle this in your mind.

BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, who came with over 50 yrs experience in Orthopedics once mentioned the possibility of some of these bumps being caused by the massaging. She stressed that there is no need to massage scars since our body is normally very capable of resolving them on it's own. There is a possibility that the friction (vigorous massage) can cause an overgrowth of the fibrous tissue resulting in nodules. You'll likely benefit from leaving the area alone, but you first need to believe and accept that.

I hope you are enjoying your progress at almost three months post op. You can look forward to further healing and brighter days ahead. Have a lovely Easter weekend!
 
There seems to be two thoughts on massaging your knee incision. I also ran into this from 2-different oncologist. One said don't bother and the other said to massage my mastectomy scar. I started to massage it gently a couple times a day and it felt less lumpy and looked better. The idea is to increase circulation to help in the healing process. My OS said to start massaging my incisional line around 9-weeks or so. He never said to massage it hard or with a lot of pressure. He showed me how to do with your 2-thumbs going across the incision. PT would be able to do deep tissue massage if your doctor is concerned and possible ultrasound treatment.
 
Last edited:
I’m almost 3 months and my extension is not 0…but I’m not worried about it. It will happen at some point as I am pretty active. I did 15 mins on a bike today, and my knee swelled and stiffened and felt a bit loosy goosy! I’ll rest a day or two and get back to it. BUT, my knee feels stronger every week but still have some pain if over used. Amazing how well you know your knee as the recovery continues. Oh, and I also have a tight hard band above my kneecap. Not sure what it is but will ask my OS at my 3 month appt this coming week
I have a tight area also. Watching some PT videos on scar tissue, I saw some great massag techniques. Yesterday I did some for a while and that band listened up significantly. .
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Dawn.
Are things going better for you these days? I do hope so. :fingersx:
A great week to you!
@dawnG
 
3 1/2 months out. Stopped all pt cause family visited. Then decided to just try to live and get out in the garden. I’m able to do more, flex and extend better. But so tired of constantly flexing and extending, cause it still feels so tight. Every time I sit, I do sliders or flex and extend…. Using a stationary bike and up and down the stairs.
depressing to still not be able to just “be” me…… still the new knee is my life….I read what everyone writes, it takes time, we are different…. I need to get past this “stuck” spot…what’s the best exercise? Walking? I so want to get on my real bicycle and just go….
 
About 4” above my new knee, up the thigh, I have horrible clicking with every bending, especially using the stairs. My 3 month post op visit, the last I will have,,, the PA said it is scar tissue under the tendon and there isn’t anything I can do about it….. almost at 4 months and trying to do life.. gardening, standing bike.. the stairs, I’m not sitting around.. working hard. What can I do??? I only find info on fibrosis…
 
Hi Dawn,
Some members complain about clicking, clunking and popping sounds. It is natural to be concerned and wonder if something is wrong. It seems more often than not that noises aren’t indication of a problem. It takes time for the soft tissue surrounding the implant to heal and settle in with the implant and begin working smoothly. If it is accompanied with swelling or pain, you may consider another consult with your surgeon. Hopefully it's no more than an annoyance that you're able to live with.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Have a great Thursday!
@dawnG
 
I’m never sure how to post. I search and search to find the place to continue my thread. It’s just not easily found.
I read everyone’s comments and yours in the clicking being normal. So I thought it was. But he said what I haven’t read anywhere. Scar tissue under the thigh tendon. That’s got me
worried.
 
He said I because the clicking is higher up above the knee, it’s scar tissue under the thigh tendon..and there’s nothing I can do about it.
 
I think it'll go away. Most of us have had that clicking and it disappears after a few years. Mine did.
 
But so tired of constantly flexing and extending, cause it still feels so tight. Every time I sit, I do sliders or flex and extend…. Using a stationary bike and up and down the stairs.
There is no need to constantly flex and extend and do sliders. Yes, your knee needs movement, but it also need time to just “be” so it can relax and heal. Stop working it so much and just go about your day. It will get plenty of healing movements just doing your every day activities. In this recovery, often “less is more.”
 
He said I because the clicking is higher up above the knee, it’s scar tissue under the thigh tendon..and there’s nothing I can do about it.
So, no advice from him then, Dawn?
 
Nothing. He said there’s nothing I can do about it. I don’t understand how scar tissue can form under the tendon above the knee. It’s about 5” above the knee. I can feel it clicking if I touch it when I bend the knee. Working very hard to rehab correctly. Helps to understand so you can help yourself. How much time before I call to see the surgeon? Don’t want to jump the gun if it’s the normal clicking that goes away eventually
 
I think it'll go away. Most of us have had that clicking and it disappears after a few years. Mine did.
Years? This is about 5” above the knee into the thigh area. Is that where most have the normal clicking?
 
How much time before I call to see the surgeon? Don’t want to jump the gun if it’s the normal clicking that goes away eventually
Dawn, you can do this at any time. If you're unable to speak with your surgeon, I am sure someone on his care team will be able to advise and possibly offer the reassurance you're seeking. It may give you peace of mind to speak with them.
Helps to understand so you can help yourself.
Ask whatever is on your mind then in an effort to gain a better understanding.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom