TKR Iovera, yes or no?

Your poor knee! I know exactly what you mean. I've struggled so much with inflammation and swelling too. That calf muscle pain is so annoying and an unusual feeling. I am glad you are getting relief!
 
I'm glad to read that the Celebrex is helping with the pain, @dawnG! I know that will make the path forward easier for you.

That said, please be careful with PT. At barely 2 months post-op, you are still early days in this year-long recovery. Your body isn't fully healed from the trauma of surgery yet and you should not be pushed by your therapist to do anything that causes pain. That will only cause additional inflammation and slow your recovery.

I'm sure you read these before, but as a reminder, here are two cautionary articles about pushing through pain:
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
This is recovery that responds best to the "tortoise approach" -- slow and steady! :flwrysmile:
 
Your poor knee! I know exactly what you mean. I've struggled so much with inflammation and swelling too. That calf muscle pain is so annoying and an unusual feeling. I am glad you are getting relief!
The calf felt like a rock. The celebrex again though, helped so quickly. So it’s all inflamed. I started using some heat on the calf to warm it and sooth it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your recovery is up and down. 3 steps forward 2 steps back. I found patience to be the hardest attitude to adopt during recovery. Many have mentioned this is not a quick recovery. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Your knee will tell you what it’s capable of and will swell up it you overdo it.

I hated waiting too but it’s the best direction to take in order to let your injuries heal. Rest, ice, compression, elevation the same as you would any other serious injury.

Keep your chin up. It gets better. Believe in yourself and you will get there!
 
The calf felt like a rock. The celebrex again though, helped so quickly. So it’s all inflamed. I started using some heat on the calf to warm it and sooth it.
Be careful with heat. It might feel good, but if your calf is truly inflamed, then heat will only feed that inflammation. Ice will restrict its growth.

My calf was painful after my TKR, too. I assumed it was the way the doctor moved it during surgery. It eventually went away with time. I never put heat on it, except for a hot shower, which felt great! I then used the ice.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to feel better, Dawn.
Have a great weekend!
@dawnG
 
Thank you. Working on getting 120/0’. Only 116/3’. Was planning on chit chatting with people but not sure where to go to do that. I saw a statement that said one thread per person.
So how do I talk to people from my account and not ask a new question, because that is a new thread, correct? Sorry but the instructions are a bit confusing in that
 
@dawnG, you can post any questions or comments right here on your thread. Someone is always around and will see it and talk with you. If you want to speak to a particular member just put a @ right in front of their name as I did to you in my answer.
 
At 2 months now. Going up and down the stairs, foot over foot. Done is tough, but getting better…….Not yet 120’/0’. Not matter how hard I try, can’t get the extension to zero and pt says work on it.. I am… im using the heavy ice cold park which is heavy and can stand that straight weight for 10 minutes with foot up on a pillow… oh that patella area aches so much. Making progress, but worried if I don’t get it there, it may not get there… so says the PA at the doc office. how are you 2 month era doing?
 
I wouldn't push it.
You are doing well on the stairs- I still struggle with that at 5 months.
 
Not matter how hard I try, can’t get the extension to zero and pt says work on it.. I am… im using the heavy ice cold park which is heavy and can stand that straight weight for 10 minutes with foot up on a pillow
This is more harm than help. Your knee is still swollen. Even if you don't see it outside, there is still inside that knee capsule. Just a little bit of fluid will hinder your ROM, both bend and extension. Forcing your knee like this is causing it to stay inflamed. An inflamed knee swells.

My extension was slower coming in, also. What helped me most was to walk with a longer stride and a heel-to-toe gait. This helps to stretch out those big, long muscles and tendons in the back of the knee. It didn't happen overnight, but my extension is now fine, so it definitely helps!
worried if I don’t get it there, it may not get there… so says the PA at the doc office.
Nope, not true. Your ROM can improve for a year and even more. Window of Opportunity Myth
 
dawnG, my extension didn't get flat until 4-5 months with first tkr. I'm 10 weeks post op today with second tkr. Extension is not flat, but I know it will get there. Just going about your everyday activities count as PT and will help straighten your knee. Don't stress over it. It will happen.
 
Everyone’s help is so helpful.. I know I’ll get there. Doing the stairs has helped more than the PT.., scar tissue is my worry now… I have a large area at the top that feels 3”x2”, a chunk.. on the left top of the scar…a pea size on the right… and at the bottom, a knuckle size that is hard… I use ad ointment and the scar is barely noticeable… I use pressure and massage hard twice a day…it’s not leaving or getting smaller….how’s everyone's scar tissue? I’m at just under 3 months..
 
At 11 weeks I have scar tissue that is stuck..I massage twice a day with AD ointment and the scar is barely noticeable. I manage hard and my fingers hurt. One tiny nickel size at the bottom. But the top has a large area, it’s firm, 1” wide by 2” long. The opposite side feels smaller but deeper. The doc worried me at the 2 month check up. If I don’t massage it out, the scar tissue adheres to the bone and I’ll have huge problems.
the knee still feels like cement, but doing most things normally now… anyone have advise?
 
The scar tissue (which is more correctly called adhesions) is very rare, and one of the easiest ways to develop it is to work your knee too hard. Over-worked knees get inflamed and hot, and hot tissues become drier than normal and more likely to stick together and form adhesions.

This article explains the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

You need normal scar tissue. That's what holds your incision together, and it's part of the normal healing process. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.
 
The doc worried me at the 2 month check up. If I don’t massage it out, the scar tissue adheres to the bone and I’ll have huge problems.
I don’t know why your doctor would tell you this. I guess it could happen in an extremely rare case. As @sistersinhim said, we need scar tissue, without it we would not heal. Over time, normal scar tissue settles down and heals fine.

I use pressure and massage hard twice a day

I manage hard and my fingers hurt.
Please stop doing this. It is not necessary, and all you’re doing is further irritating soft tissue that is trying to heal.

I also had those hard areas. I did not massage, and they healed fine, over many months. Your body knows how to heal all by itself.

Try to relax, let nature take its course. It will, but healing takes time, as long as a year or more for complete healing. :console2:
 
The doc and the PA were very arame t about the scar tissue formation. They said work it 10 minutes twice a day. This is so confusing to hear the opposite.
 
I have scar tissue along my spine from surgery and it spasms against nerves. So I am believing the surgeon. This is now very scary to be doing the opposite of what they told me. I’ll have to do a lot more research. What I did research said scar tissue adheres to the bone and you permanently lose your rom.
 
@dawnG, you can post any questions or comments right here on your thread. Someone is always around and will see it and talk with you. If you want to speak to a particular member just put a @ right in front of their name as I did to you in my answer.
I just need to hear from anyone. Not one specific person. Who ever is out there. So I need to stay on my page? Got it.
 
Maybe the doc means adhesions. But he said scar tissue repeatedly. I know the difference. This is so confusing.
 
Back
Top Bottom