THR Insexec THR Update - Take Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like good progress @insexec . And well done to your wife for all her support. So important when you need to adhere to strict restrictions.
 
6 week update.
I had my 6 week followup with my OS this morning. It was great to be out of the house. Small pleasures!!! X-Rays are looking good and he has raised my weight bearing to 75% from the 50% that I have been on for the last 3 weeks. Still need to use a walker but has allowed me to walk much more than my previous restriction. I was on a 50 feet walking restriction for no more than 10 X day. He says I can do as much as I can tolerate now.

Back on home PT for 4 weeks for passive ROM, flexion up to 90%, and IT band stretching for the left hip. And for the right hip, strengthening and ROM as tolerated, modalities and stretching. Absolutely no active abduction.

He believes the cracked bone chip seems to be adhering and will probably release me to full weight bearing and using a cane after I see him in 3 weeks. I cannot wait!!!!
 
Well this is progress - maybe not as much as you would like. But being cautious now means a successful recovery. Hang in there. Not long now!
 
Thank you @Jaycey. It certainly is not enough and very frustrating but the alternative could be disastrous. I fully recognize that and fully committed to taking it easy and recovering from this setback. Had my first round of renewed PT at around noon today with a lot of stretching and some ROM exercises. Feeling a good muscle burn.
 
@ insexec, you're doing great!! Patience will be rewarded, just continue to follow Doc's orders and you'll be better than your old self!!
Proud of you!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just curious, did your OS actually explain how you can 75% WB? I am not sure how I would do this successfully.
 
Not really an exact science but more of a feel. Walking normally but putting more weight on right leg and the left handle of the walker. Not sure I would be able to say I was consistently bearing 50% or 75% weight on my left leg.
 
I had my 9 week follow up with my OS today. Great news! X-rays show that the bone chip is adhering well and my OS believes that unless I have a fall, that chip is not going anywhere. He has me on 100% weight bearing now, but to be prudent and conservative, wants me to be on the walker for another week and then move to a cane for another week. I'm free of ambulatory devices after that if I can tolerate it.
I start outpatient PT next week for range of motion stretches, scar mobilization, active abduction without resistance, gait training, recumbent bike, and aquatic exercises for the next 4 weeks.
The last 9 weeks have been a challenge to say the least and I'm so glad I had the will power to have been patient and careful in my weight bearing. That gave the bone chip a chance to adhere. I see the OS again in 4 weeks. Thank you BS community for all your support.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@insexec You are free at last!
I know you must be elated..... good luck on your continued terrific progress, and happy for you
that you persevered during no weight bearing to get to the other side. Bravo!
 
Wow - well done @insexec ! You are a role model for patience my friend. Easy does it transitioning with those walking aides. Please do keep us updated!
 
Thank you, @MajorHeidi and @Jaycey. It is great to be able to walk sort of normally and be able to drive myself. I will still need to be careful for the next 2 weeks though.
It sure was a tough 9 week journey but I knew the alternative would have a lot worse. A setback would have made my life totally miserable and left me with a permanent limp, according to my OS.
 
Had my first real outing yesterday in over 9 weeks. My wife and I did some errands around the area. I drove and after our errands were done we went to the newly opened Trader Joe's grocery store. I used the shopping cart as my walker. The store had opened the day before and it was mobbed! Picked up some nice lobster tails and sea scallops for grilling today.
Great to be part of the outside world after so long.
 
Great news.....you're making good progress and it's exciting to hear that you are getting out and about now.
 
@insexec, that's great news about getting back to being a member of society! Haha...know what you mean...it almost felt like I was living in this comfortable little bubble for the first few weeks and when it was time to venture into the "outside world", it was scary! Alas!! We can't hide forever!! Get out and show off that new hip! Love lobster tails and scallops, too, especially on the grill! Throw a few on there for me!
 
Thanks, @Jamie and @beachgal
@beachgal , come on over!
The weather did not cooperate for grilling yesterday so it will stay in the freezer for now. Bummer!! I cannot wait for this week to be over so I can dump my walker finally and be more mobile for more of the outside world. Much easier with a cane than the walker. Hopefully, in 11 days (no...I am not counting the days. LOL) I will be free from a cane also. Yah!!
I will definitely be very careful and not overdo the walking, at least initially.
 
Since my 9 week post update, about 4 weeks ago, there has been some very substantial progress. I was on a walker for the first week at 100% weight bearing and then on a cane for the next week. I was cleared from having to use any walking aids for the last 2 weeks but my OS had asked me to use safety precautions while walking. I have been going to outpatient PT for the last 4 weeks and I have to give kudos to them. They had me on light strengthening exercises, stretches and modalities. But what has been great is that they have spent a lot of time during each session to physically stretch me to eliminate my stiffness and improve ROM. Additionally, they also perform scar massaging which is breaking down the tissue buildup around my incision. My ROM has significantly improved in the last 4 weeks.
I had a 13 week follow up with my OS this morning and he basically said I can now "do whatever I want but within reason". Yah!!!!!!!! The x-ray showed that the chip has adhered well and he thinks I will be fine unless I end up falling on my hip.
In that case I would have bigger issues anyways:beg:
All the rest and patience has finally paid off. I am so glad to have my regular life back. Back to golf, boating, biking, swimming, etc.
 
All the rest and patience has finally paid off. I am so glad to have my regular life back. Back to golf, boating, biking, swimming, etc.
Well done! There is life after THR!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom