THR Insexec THR Update - Take Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats!!! I had a mild fracture and it was wired in surgery. I was surprised that I had no restrictions from it and it was never an issue. On my last X-ray the bone had grown around it.
My doctor said that it happens a lot and that he is very careful to look whereas others may not be so conservative. Better have it taken care of now than it fracture after and need more surgery! Sorry about the restrictions.. Sounds like yours may be a bit bigger than mine was.. I was very worried after surgery about it . My doctor made my husband promise to not tell me cause he wanted to explain it was nothing and knew I would be worried. It turned out to be a non issue. Hope you get rest!! Glad this is behind you.. All good things ahead:)



LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Thank you, @hip2it. I really do believe that my wife and doctors have been great. This should help my recovery.
Thank you @LoyalD, you bet!!! I have been religiously asking for the meds that I feel I need. 10 mg of oxycodone last night and another this morning. Feeling good.
Thank you @psychteach. Dr. Noble is ultra-conservative in his precautions. He said most others would kind of blow it off and not make a deal of the chipped bone. But he said he will re-evaluate my precaution at my 2 week follow up with him

Took 10 mg of oxycodone last night along with a mild sleeping pill last night. Slept very well for most of the night. Felt rested when I woke up at about 4:30. Had a vampire take some blood, had my nurse help me sit at edge of bed, stand for a minute or two, take a couple steps, sit on edge of bed and brushed my teeth and used wet towel to freshen up. That felt wonderful. Had some coffee. Dr. Noble's asst. paid a visit at 6:00 am and said incision area looks good. Limited swelling and no redness around the incision or seepage showing through the dressing. He said my hemoglobin level is down to 7.5 but we will hold off on a unit of blood transfusion until we check hemoglobin levels tomorrow. Protocol is for blood transfusion when levels are below 7. Taking iron supplements as part of my meds and had a steak dinner with a spinach salad. Had spinach salad with my eggs, bacon and sausage breakfast. I have never eaten all this much meat in my life that I have in the last 2 months. Dr. Noble visited at 7:30 am and also confirmed what his asst. had said.
PT came before breakfast and made me get out of bed with a little help from them, sat on edge of bed for a minute to make sure blood returns in all places. Stood on walker, and walked about 30 feet or so. I was given high marks on my progress by PT. Sat in a chair after PT to wait for breakfast. Sat for about an hour. Nurse came and helped me back in bed and gave me my morning round of meds: oxycodone 10 mg, 12 hour oxycontine, Celebrex, vitamin c, aspirin, iron, protonex for the stomach, folic acid, and Losartan for my blood pressure.
Icing, elevating, resting, watching TV and Netflix movies on my iPad. Next PT is in the afternoon.
Sorry for detailed posting but hoping a that pre-op hippies may benefit from the info.
 
Jumped online to see how you were doing and thrilled to hear you are getting the meds you need. Hard day today as my son heads back to college tomorrow morning to VA. I see an emotional day. I am on Hydro every 5 hours.
 
I had a pretty uneventful day, not that I'm complaining AT ALL!! I have reduced my oxycodone dosage down to 5 mg and have been feeling good. Stiff and some swelling around the incision but none of the pain that I suffered through pre-op. Did afternoon PT and walked about 50 feet versus 30 feet this morning and felt pretty good. Resting, elevating, icing all day when in bed with the chill machine, doing my bed stretch exercises, and basically reading, and watching TV and Netflix movies. Mealtimes are spent on the ortho chair for 1.5- 2 hours for a change of pace from laying on my back when in bed. Hope this trend continues and I sleep well again. Fingers and toes are crossed. More later. Best.
 
Well, I guess I jinxed myself about getting a good nights sleep. It was just horrible. Not sure what the issue was but the nursing staff seemed to be under-staffed. My nighttime meds that are normally administered at about 9:00 pm came at 11:30 pm (after me calling about every half hour after 9:00 pm because I needed my oxycodone). The answer was always we are doing our rounds and are going to be there soon. So my meds came at 11:30pm and then the vitals that are generally taken around 11 pm were taken at about 1:00 am. At about 2:30 pm one of the sequential compression stockings developed a hole which set off a beeping alarm. So had to call the nurse asst. who was actually very helpful and came right away to turn off the machine and also find a replacement sock. So back to sleeping again after a bit. Before I knew it, the vampire was in to take my blood at 5 am. I gave up trying to go back to sleep and ended up washing up, brushing my teeth and having about 3 cups of black coffee in 10 minutes. All helped and I had my first bowel movement (I know.....TMI, but the relief is incredible after being constipated with all those nasty drugs). Had a wonderful spinach, tomato, green pepper and onion omelet, English muffins, and hash browns. Yummy!!! PT came early and they are impressed with my progress. The constant elevating, icing, resting, doing the simple bed stretches, and regular meds are all contributing to my progress. So far PT, OT and my OS have cleared me to go home and barring any disasters with tomorrow mornings blood work I expect to go home by around lunch time. My hemoglobin is down again which was to be expected and that is why my OS and GP wanted me to stay in the hospital tonight. So I will be back to eating all the usual steaks and leafy vegetables and iron supplements. For years, my wife and I have avoided red meats and now I'm OD'ing on them. She still refuses to partake. I don't blame her. The OS removed the vac drain and changed the dressing this morning. My incision is glued and it was dry under the dressing. The drainage hole is still oozing a bit but that is to be expected. I now just have to use a small dressing to cover it rather than carry the vac around. Simple little things make me happy and set me on a positive recovery road. I'm so looking forward to being in my own bed tomorrow and eating some home-made food. OS is sending a nurse and a PT on Saturday to my house to get started on my home treatment. More later!
 
Hey Insexec, keeping up with your progress. Time to come home my man, quit flirting with the nurses and come on home, it is time...
 
Yeah!!!!!!! I am home. My wonderful wife picked me up from the hospital and had lunch prepared for me which was heavenly compared to the hospital hash that I endured for 3 nights. I am now in my own bed (with my designer compression stockings), resting and icing, and so mentally glad to be here. It was a little stiff getting in and out of the car but at least the driving distance was only about 15 minutes. This morning the OS replaced my dressing again and found it to be dry and nicely sealed. Discharge instruction are to keep the dressing dry, change it daily for 5 days and then leave open to air if no drainage thereafter.
 
Yes sir, I know that feeling very well. Nothing like home in bed icing and elevating and doing what you are told :)
 
Good morning to you too, @HippyHelen. Things are going as well as I can expect. I'm pretty much resting, icing, and doing all my precautions. Weight bearing at 30% with a walker until Aug 8 when I see my OS, walking no more than 50 feet at a time and no more than 10 times a day. I am hoping that my weight bearing restriction will be eased to 50% after my OS visit, if the Xrays warrant it. He had said that I would need to be on the walker for 6 weeks. It is very frustrating this time around since I am pretty much relegated to being in bed most of the time. My wife has to help move my left foot in and out of bed due to my restrictions and hoping that once the stiffness and swelling goes down I will feel better. I noticed that this time my IT band is very tight also. Did not experience much of that the last time around. I am doing home PT 3 times a week.
Hope you are progressing well.
 
There you are insexec, and glad to read your post. Slow going, but the outcome will be what you want. Our thoughts are with you my man and we appreciate hearing your progress. Time flies by, I am already at over 4 weeks since my second surgery and you will be saying the same thing before you know it :)
 
Thank you, @waterman1! Staying positive and knowing that this too shall pass eventually. Piece of good news. I had ordered a platform for my recliner but neither my wife nor I wanted to tackle lifting my heavy recliner. My PT was here this morning and without hesitation lifted my recliner and slipped the platform under. What a great present to have my favorite recliner back in operation and use. The platform added about 3.5 inches height and makes it easier to get in and out. I now have an alternative to laying in bed. However, my OS also wants to limit my sitting to no more than 2 hours at a time. Can't win :bawl:But I will take pleasure in all gifts!!!
 
Insexec, I don't know if what I did made any difference or not, but I never sat in a recliner with either hip recovery. I stayed in the bed for elevation and icing and TV and movies. I sat on a barstool on my porch alot, or in front of my computer a little, and stayed in bed alot. So, the OS is probably giving good advice about staying out of the recliner my man. Just do what he says the best you can so it all heals up correctly.
 
@waterman1, agreed. The good thing is that my power recliner can flatten all the way and is almost like laying in bed but with a different perspective and view. I will use the recliner only as a change of pace and will spend most of my time in bed, elevating, icing and watching Netflix. Healing is the key here.
 
I believe you got the idea of doing what the doc says, and you have a 'cadillac' recliner raised up where it needs to be. Elevation means, leg is above the heart and the second time around is that more taxing on patience, yes I know. All of us bilaterals are pulling for you so hang in there with the heart and spirit that keeps you strong and positive. I haven't read much whining from you, so remember to whine all you want, I know I did and it is OK we want to know how you are doing. Right now, my anterior scar seems a little irritated now that I am walking. Always a challenge, but no hill for us climbers, right! :)
 
I have the names of all the bad movies I wish I never rented if you want them, LOL.
 
That's correct, @waterman1. We are so willing to take on the challenges that are thrown our way. A positive attitude and self confidence is the key to whipping this. Thanks for your support and the encouragement from this wonderful community. Sorry to hear about your scar being irritated but you probably overdid it. Time for you to lay down and watch a movie too.
 
I had my 3 week post-op with my OS this morning. X-rays show that the bone chip is still intact and seems to be adhering nicely. So I have graduated to 50% weight bearing (still on a walker) from the previous 30% . He still wants me to restrict my walking and continue with the abduction precautions for another 3 weeks. He believes once my bone chip has fully adhered there will be plenty of time to work all the sleeping muscles and nerves. He just does not want to take any chances with the bone chip at this point. I am going batty with all this laying around and restrictions but i understand the damage that I can cause if I get too cocky and start overdoing things. I have to give huge kudos to my wonderful wife. She has really spoiled me in these last 3 weeks and is not hesitant to continue for the next 3 weeks. I am still sore near the incision area and he thinks that is normal at this point given the sutures that were put in that area once he had to place the wire to secure the bone chip. That will ease up in a week or so. I am currently on aspirin for blood clot prevention, celebrex, 2-4 extra-strength Tylenol a day, and an iron supplement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom