Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Vetgirl So glad that there is light at the end of the tunnel...I will keep everything crossed that you get to have a good Christmas and vacation before your revision surgeries......as dickenson said it's something we all fear but I hope I would be able to deal with it as much bravery and resolution as you are......you deserve a break from all this......will keep returning for your updates....Thinking of you ...Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
cuz you've got a million people hanging on your every word...

Z is right Sally. I rush home from work every day to see if you have posted anything. You are my September sister in hip replacement, and I feel a special kinship. I am just so sorry that this has happened to you.

Sending you love! <3
 
Sally @Vetgirl I have been thinking about you everyday since you posted about the infected stitch and I feel the same as @calikat we are September hip sisters and I feel the same, we have a special kinship. I will continue to keep the positive thoughts flowing your way and I hope you get to go home and enjoy Christmas and your holiday with your family. Big hugs to you and wishing for you to get well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Vetgirl you are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep thinking of all the things that make you happy! Know that you are simply on detour to your destination. I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Hope your Christmas is blessed and happy.
 
@Vetgirl adding you to my prayer list for continued healing with the antibiotics and enjoyable holidays! Please take care and know we are all pulling for you. Sincerely

Judy


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Thanks everyone :)

@Josephine thank you for that information although usually I understand it....I'm not sure how it related to my situation? Are you saying that if they leave the implant there for longer the infection or biofilm will be able to be eradicated???? Or am I totally misreading the article?

Thanks everyone.......looking like I can go tomorrow if the infection markers go down again and I can tolerate the antibiotics orally. This is a huge concern for me as the previous oral antibiotics made me very ill and I was throwing up just sips of water!!!! They think this is how I may have gotten the pneumonia...aspiration from vomiting so much!!!!!!! Ewwwwwwwww........:eeeuw::eeeuw::eeeuw:
 
It will be good for you to go home Sally @Vetgirl - I am thinking of you and send much love and Xmas wishes :)
 
I am glad you get to go home and the article is talking about getting the infection colonized to just the implant. My doctor, Dr. Maale is the one who believes this way, and I waited awhile before he did a one stage revision on my knee. Then only the implant would be colonized and covered with a biofilm that contained the infection.
 
Hi Sally, check this out, it was an article from earlier this year...

New research being conducted in Australia.. Sydney this time.. I would imagine they are also working with the team from the Adelaide University who are also working on biofilm infections on transplants.

https://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3788747.htm
 
Ok thanks heaps @Poppet and @RestAssured I now see how @Josephine s article related to me. As I have gotten a little better my brain is working ......well sort of ...hehehehe

Anyway...I think the OS did say something about maybe by February the infection would be ????? Enough to only have a 1 revision surgery......it makes a bit more sense now. He also said I would be meeting with Professor Sydney Bell who specialises in microbiology in our area and is the one who has been advising my 2 DRs....the OS and the one for the pneumonia.....before any revision surgery.

I started taking the antibiotics orally tonight and the Professor has told them that I am to take it 1/2 hour prior to food with soft drink....preferably ginger ale. How weird.....I get ginger beer may settle tummy upsets but why soft drink?


Thanks @calikat and @sunsetbiking ......I consider you my September hip buddies too

I am so overwhelmed by how many people here are supporting me.......thank you a big bunch :thankyou:
 
Hi Sally,
Sorry to hear that you have had to go through this experience but its good news that you can take the antibiotics orally now which should mean that you can get home very soon.I am not sure why Ginger ale unless it helps protect the stomach.Thinking about you.
 
Yes Sally @Vetgirl ginger ale ( because of the fizz) will help with the nausea and settle the tummy.

Several studies have shown that ginger has antibiotic properties itself and has shown to be beneficial for Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus pyreus infections and ginger has been shown to have an antibacterial effect on respiratory and periodontal infections!...

You are in good hands Sally xx
 
Thanks @Poppet do you think it would be ok to have diet type soft drinks? I don't like soft drink because they are too sweet but will do as the dr orders!!!! Diet is better for teeth and waist....

Also...just a question for a few of the more experienced or not!!!!!.....lol.....bonesmarties.....how do you deal with everyone who has their opinion about my surgeon?????

My husband is telling me about a few relatives who are nurses who are ranting a bit to him and are angry because they feel more wasn't done about my infection and because I've been so sick?????

I personally feel that my OS has been great at every turn. He wanted to see me the day I presented to my local GP with the redness around wound, heat and flu like symptoms. The GP said there was no discharge as the pus came out 1.5 days before and told him there was no point. The OS also asked for a swab but again the GP advised that there was nothing to swab....true it had healed over after the initial discharge. The OS spoke to my GP by phone at each of my return visits to him and gave me his mobile number to contact him if I deteriorated.

All the Drs who sighted the wound felt that it was a stitch abscess type infection. MY OS had scheduled regular checkups with me.....I only got to 1 because then I deteriorated and we contacted him on a Saturday and he admitted me to hospital.

I had 3 infections....pneumonia, UTI and finally the hip. My symptoms are extremely non typical of a deep wound infection. My scar does not hurt, even with deep palpitations. My joint is not sore....it's a little achy but certainly not painful....I walk and move well and have good ROM....keeping in mind I am only 3.5 months post op and many of these niggles could just be post surgery. I am the OS's first infection in 5 years. The hospital staff can't speak highly enough of his standards and the same goes for theatre staff I know.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I feel I have been well managed, been taken seriously, and looked after but how do I keep my confidence when I am soon to be thrown to the real world wolves (well meaning medical and non medical friends and family!!!!) when I leave here????? Hubby has been fielding most of the calls and up u til today I've had no visitors except hubby and kids because I requested it in order to be able to rest.

Hubby is already telling people that I don't need to hear their opinions that I need support and positiveness to get me through this. I don't need to lose trust if I am to have further surgery with him to resolve this and get a good outcome.

Alternatively......do I have any reason not to feel reassured by my Drs?????? I have the OS, respiratory Dr and Professor of Microbiology (haven't met him but he's consulting on my case). The OS and other DR have visited everyday sometimes twice a day, rang many times to check results etc and conferred with each other. Also, who covers my out of pocket expenses for all this???? I will not be getting any income in the foreseeable future....and medical bills and loss of income have been significant and now worse by these complications in the future.

I'll tag a few of you bonesmartie veterans so you can pass these concerns onto whoever you feel is relevant to offer an opinion or who has been in a similar situation....if that's ok....well sorry if its not.....I've done it. :blush::blush::blush:
Also advice for having alcoholic beverages over the hols and celebrations considering everything?????

Thanks everyone and @Poppet @Josephine @Jamie @Jaycey @RestAssured @Z15
 
Sally, you have a great surgical team and supporting specialists, don't doubt that hon! Maybe your GP was a little slow off the mark, but that is all history.

I would be a strong advocate for yourself with the relatives. Explain what you have written, that YOU feel you have been managed well and it is not about the past, but about the future and if they are going to support you then that is what they must do as well!

Get hubby to contact Centrelink - they may be able to assist.. were you private or public?

Regarding Antibiotics and alcohol they can cause stomach upset, dizziness and drowsiness and combining them can increase these side effects - best to stay clear I would suggest :)

Hang in there sweetie, we are going to be at your side every step xx
 
p.s. I am not a fan of diet drinks they often have artificial sweeteners in them :)
 
Hi Sally,
I agree with Poppet and you need to explain to your well meaning friends and family they are not helping as you are happy with the care given to you by your OS that you would rather look to the future than rake over the past and you need positive people to help you through.We are here for you Sally.
 
Sally,

You know how your were treated by the folks involved in your surgery. I've read plenty of stories on BS that to me were clear negligence by both hospitals, doctors and staff and YOURS does not seem like one of them. Besides, you need to be focused on the positive aspects of moving forward. Now...if you thot the original care was truly substandard then you might want a new team...but again, they sound like they were attentive and caring.

We're all hoping for a positive outcome...whenever that time comes,

Z
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom