Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that they might have gone in and done a washout and debridement and that Sally is on IV antibiotics. The symptoms she described fit me when my leg burst open. I hope I'm wrong. I am praying for you Sally!
 
Vetgirl How are you? Please let us know how you are doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I know this must be a very scary experience for you. I hope you are doing better.

Love,

Milli
 
I sincerely hope they did whip her into hospital. It needed dealing with urgently.
 
Thank you for the information RestAssured. I am so worried about her.

We all are. That is one of the worst things about infection! It makes you so sick, you get false hope, then you come to grips with what can be done?! Very demoralizing when you find out about the diagnoses. I am still hoping I am wrong about Sally, but her symptoms and pain levels lead me to think this way... :cry:
 
I was just discussing Sally with my husband. He said one of his patients (he is a PT) recently had something similar. A suture did not dissolve and got infected. They went in found the suture, removed it and the infection cleared right up. I just hope this is what has happened with Sally.
 
Hey there Aussie girl, how are you doing Sally? Curious minds are thinking of you Vetgirl
 
OMG....@poppet @Josephine @calikat @RestAssured @Butterfly @sunsetbiking and @Z15 I'm so sorry that I didn't receive any email notifications from you all. Thank you for your concern.

I'll try to fill you all in on what's been happening.....as you know about 2 1/2 weeks ago the stitch abscess thing came up and pus came out. I then got swelling and redness around the site which was initially treated aggressively with Keflex with no change so I was put on dicloxacillin which seemed to resolve the infection.

Surgeon saw me and told me I had to stay on these for 6 weeks and then go off them and hope infection didn't come back because then it would be a wash out and debridement and if it occurred again a revision.

The week on the antibiotics was hell...every time I ate, I threw up, I had really bad cramps when drinking and sometimes just threw up water. You have to take them On an empty stomach....and it was hell. I was dreading another 6 weeks on them. On the Friday last week 13 th Dec (12 days after pus came out and 1 week on horror antibiotics) wound looked normal and I was just starting to be well and felt ok for 2 hours and ate!!!!

Went out to a carols event at kids school but came home early due to vomiting and nausea from antibiotics. Slept from 6 pm to 7 am.....still nauseous etc but lay down about 8 am and started to feel super cold. 4 blankets, a horror headache, chills for 2 hours and then Heat for an hour whilst I slept...hubby came home from setting up for nieces party...took my temp...39 degrees Celsius and rang surgeon who admitted me to hospital.

I have had chest x-ray, hip x-ray, bloods etc.. They have diagnosed me with pneumonia and took me off dicloxacillin (yay) and administered other IV antibiotics. OS got another specialist in for assessment on lungs and I've been here ever since. I've gotten a little better and worse. Ivebeen on IV fluids the whole time and haven't eaten much.

I've been on mega doses of heaps of antibiotics and anti nausea drugs....initial bloods showed inflammatory markers on admission were down from tests at first GP visit with inflamed surgical area but they have gone up again and are slowly rising. I have had temps even while on mega doses of antibiotics. Both Drs have been in daily.

OS organised an MRI yesterday and got transported today. Results showed a pocket of fluid tracking to near scar. Not good. The OS has been In Surgery all day but spoken to a professor who thinks it may be a gram negative infection (from my research more antibiotic resistant????) and they will do 2 days on this super strong antibiotic and try for a result..... as in an improvement in me.

If not, its in for clean out and assessment and then maybe a 2 stage revision. Not good news at any stage is it???? I've been pretty sick and to have pneumonia and an UTI as well hasn't made me a well girl.

Kids are distraught being a week out from Christmas....and holidays are paid for on the 5 th January for 2 weeks....that's been my incentive after THR....the whole family's for the horror year we have had. Not sure what will happen now.

I will probably have to give up my job. My boss said that if I couldn't get back to my shifts by the 20th January then he would have to consider replacing me. It's a small practice and everyone has been carrying my shifts whilst I'd been off. He's not angry at me but he does have a business to run. I get it. I love my job :(

2 x 3 hr shifts back and I was off again.......now I'm so weak and run down and from the sound of things not getting better in a week or two

Anyway.....I'm trying to be positive.

Thanks for all your support and that's why I've been MIA......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
@Vetgirl, you have really been through the ringer. You have my thoughts and prayers and all the healing vibes I can send your way.

Please take care and keep us updated. You know that all your BoneSmart buddies care and are standing behind you.

[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
 
Sally,

What a tough few weeks. You need to know that brighter days are ahead even when it is hard to imagine them. You'll get through this.

Sending healing vibes your way...

:flwrysmile:

Z
 
Sally @Vetgirl,

I'm so sorry you are going through all this and being so sick. I have been so worried about you, I will continue to keeping sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. Please don't let the threat of losing your job rush you back to work. Your health is more important. Please keep us updated we all care about our BoneSmart buddy!

[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond


Lisa
 
Oh Sally. I am so happy to hear from you, but so sorry to hear what you have been going through. Please know that we are all thinking of you. Sending you love and healing thoughts. Please keep us updated when you can.
 
Sally, I'm sorry to hear this but it was what I suspected. I think you should prepare yourself for a revision.
 
@Vetgirl,
I am so sorry this has happened, but like Jo, I strongly suspect a revision will be coming. The only difference between yours and mine was that the whole scar didn't burst open, and that was because mine was being held together by staples! These "Beasty" bugs are almost impossible to kill with a head start, and by the time the boil came upward, it was probably seeping underneath! I am so sorry! The sickness, the fever, the sadness, and the crushing feeling of WHY is perfectly normal! Please stay with us and we will get you through this. I know your family is disappointed, but this type of infection cannot be taken lightly. I hope your OS starts looking at the very least a washout and debridement soon. Take care and know that we do care about you!:console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom