Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a blow for you Sally....hope they do whatever is necessary quickly....thinking of you... Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So good to hear from you Sally @Vetgirl - my you have been through the wringer my Aussie girl!

One step at the time and in the meantime WE WILL STAY POSITIVE for you and only focus on you! and what you are going through!

Have you been placed on the Infectious Register?

Post when you feel up to it, but know we are thinking of you!
 
@Vetgirl I was so glad to see you back on the forum, but deeply saddened at what you are going through. Do they have any idea why this happened? Or is it something that "just happens?" What a terrible ordeal to have to get through!

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and love to you.

Milli
 
Thank you everyone....the next 24 hours is crucial to see if the antibiotics work.....in my gut I feel that a two stage revision is coming

@Josephine how could you tell from that pic that it was that serious????? Amazing!!!!

My CRP has gone up again today but those bloods were taken before they started the new antibiotics so tomorrow's blood work will be a true result...so to speak.

I think before he does a wash out and debridement he wants me off antibiotics for a few days so he can culture the infection to see what it is. I have been on so many antibiotics now that a culture wouldnt be accurate atm. I also think they are trying to get me well and maybe on antibiotics throughout the holiday period and look at surgery a little later in jan.....it all such awful timing as most Drs in the hospital go on hols tomorrow.....my OS does but he will be available to me until Jan 2 when he is Overseas for the month....arghhhhhh. I am his first priority but he can't change that trip.....fair enough. I don't want to change my trip either.

I said to him today ....half of me just wants him to go in and see what's going on and he agreed but said to give the antibiotics a chance....he also has a professor of microbiology advising him.

@Butterfly no reason for this happening just one of the risks of surgery. He hasn't had anyone have an infection for 5 years.....guess I ruined his record!!!!!! My case is very untypical.....of course!!!!.....in that my recovery was text book, my wound is not inflamed or red and it happened so long after surgery. I have a few niggles in my hip but most infections this far out present with really bad pain etc.....not me. I'm just sick. My temp gets bad every 4-5 days not every day....but I'm really stuffed now. So tired and weak. Not eating for a week hasn't helped

I am blown away by your support.....thanks so much

Finally @RestAssured ....where can I read specifically about your infection and revision? There are so many threads for you!!!!!

I'll keep in touch.......
 
Gosh, the infection part might be in the original Story of my Knees! The Revision part starts with the current thread at the beginning of the thread! I will look for the infection part and try to help you sort out the maze that is The Story of My Knees!:wink:

Ok, the part about the infection is in Part 1 of the story of my knees! It starts on the first page and keeps going! I didn't know what was happening, and so it is written down as it happened! :)

Let me finish with this, now I am out living life and loving every minute of it! I no longer sit on the sidelines, I am back in the game!:happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh Sally, I am so sorry you are having to deal with all this! Stay tough and positive. Don't worry about work for now - sometimes these things happen. There will be another job. Please know we are all rooting for you here!
 
Hopefully better news from you tomorrow Sally @Vetgirl - take it easy with that headache, rest, rest honey... I will check in with you tomorrow :)
 
Sally,

When the (hip/revision) activities of the day or week or month start to get to me, I envision the end date with the new hip situation, and I don't limit myself to a year from now, I may picture 5 or 10 years out. Hip issues take time and the grind can be overwhelming. As I'm sure you know, sometimes this means taking some steps backward and getting a fresh start. No one likes to go backwards especially when things have been going well and the it seemed like things were only going to get better. I'm not being a Pollyanna, and don't get me wrong....your attitude is amazing. I'm just suggesting that you keep an eye on the long-term goal while dealing with the day to day challenges. :SUNsmile:

So sorry that you are feeling lousy. Also remember to ask for all the help you can get in both your home life as well as medical situation from the docs. It's ok to think about you and demanding the very best care available.

Z
 
Thank you so much for your support....it's overwhelming .....in a good way!!!!!

Also @Poppet I meant to ask what the infection registry is??????
 
I have a friend who contracted a Staph infection 15 days post THR and she was placed on the Infectious Register for the state she lives in. I understand that all states have a register.

What it means is that they keep an eye on her and she has blood tests periodically to ensure she is clear and if not she goes on antibiotics.
 
I so agree with @Z15 - I would like a dollar for every time I have written recovery is a marathon not a sprint :)

I always had it in my mind that full recovery would take me two years - I have passed that milestone and like Z indicated I have reassessed where I am at and realise that I have had to modify certain movements to avoid pain and swelling. I think it is more realistic for me to think 5-10 years out.... Z has a very good philosophy towards recovery :)
 
I had a long road as well! One thing to remember is that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the light doesn't have a train attached to it!:happydance: I worked on staying as positive as possible, because I found laughter and a positive attitude ( well most of the time) were better than pain killers! It took 3 years from the first knee replacement to saying "I am out living and having the time of my life again, but I have heard hip recoveries are different in terms of time of recovery." Mine was not typical by any means, but I am so glad I had my knees replaced! I wasn't living! I weighed 435 pounds, walked w a four wheeled walker w a seat, and leg braces! Today, no leg braces, exercising and lifestyle eating changes have brought me to under 280 for the first time in 23 years! I love it and when I get to 200, I will have skin removal surgery, and then lose down to 160! :happydance:

I am telling you all of this because I never lost sight of why I had my knees replaced in the beginning. People who say, I wish I had never had this done, sometimes forget the pain and the suffering they experienced before.

MRSA was a "bump in the road" but I refused to let it consume me or my body! @Vetgirl, when they figure out what type of infection it is be ready to fight it with all you have! It will take a toll on you, but the longer they wait, the worse the infection could get! Talk to your OS about doing something before he leaves for a month! Believe me, you won't feel like partying anyway, and next year you will be ready to celebrate, and I will celebrate with you!:merry xmas::martini:
 
Well after 1 week in hospital and 3 weeks of being sick .... There is some light at the end of my tunnel.... If only temporary!!!!! I have had pneumonia and my hip has an infection. But yesterday my lungs were clear and today after 24 hrs on new antibiotics my inflammatory markers are going down they are thinking that if they continue to go down I can go home tomorrow on oral antibiotics and enjoy Christmas and our holiday even if I won't be 100%. The bad news is a probable two stage hip replacement revision in Feb which involves taking my new hip out and inserting a antibiotic hip spacer then when all clear placing a new hip in again which is two surgeries
I am resigned to this as we can't tell how long the infection has been there. If for some reason I crash again then it's straight in for surgery so please pray that these antibiotics hold me up for a good break and a chance to recover and gain some strength. Thanks for all your support!!!!
 
@Vetgirl so sorry to hear about how hard it's been for you
it sounds so scary...it's another scenario that we probably all fear, I certainly do
and you are handling it with grace and courage
as inspiring as it is, I hope it will be over immediately and you'll be back on your feet, literally, very soon
d
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom