Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Kim and Poppet, Sally - it is your peace of mind that is needed - if you have the confidence in your medical team that counts for a lot in your recovery I feel.

Poppet - we were discussing why the preference for ginger ale - thanks for clearing that up - I will tell my beloved about it's antibiotic properties
 
It's all too easy for folks with 'some' knowledge to be loud in their opinions. Fact is, this kind of infection is not an emergency and often experienced revision surgeons will deliberately leave it for weeks or even months until the infection is established and they can see exactly what they are dealing with. Sally, did you read that article I suggested? In there is explained why this is not the kind of infection that can result in septicaemia and/or threaten life and limb. There's also a thread in the knee forum from a young member who has had a peri-prosthetic infection for 12 years but she's a bit of a special case! Facing 2nd knee revision due to infection.

The fact that your GP was not knowledgeable about it is understandable too and did not put you in danger. He followed the usual protocol which is fine. I think your husband is doing/saying exactly the right things and if all your friends and relatives can do is offer hysterical ill-informed opinions about something of which they clearly have no experiential knowledge, then you can do without them for now!


PS:
regarding the diet drinks: they are most often sweetened by a substance called broken link removed: https://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html which is evil! I used to drink them by the gallon until I read all the side effects. Some people on here make me chuckle when they get all bent out of shape about allergies to metal and bone cement and such. Yet I bet you anything they chuck down these diet drinks by the gallon and never give it a though! (just for the sake of being seen to be fair, here's a UK government release refuting that claim! LINK but in the past they said much the same about asbestos, thalidomide, MMR triple vaccine, mobile phone radio masts and more recently, fracking! But I never believe a thing that emenates from government sources as they all have 'other priorities'! Only history will reveal the real truth.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following your journey. This has indeed been a tough row to hoe and very debilitating emotionally as well as physically. But... you're doing what you have to do and seem to have a fighting spirit. Given time, patience (oh, so much easier said than done!), good medical care, and family support, you'll come out of this just fine. You've come so far already... Hang in there & know you've got a lot of friends here, all pulling for you. All the best from the other side of the world.

Ellen
 
@Vetgirl, I had the same problem with well meaning friends and anyone else who thought they should put their two cents in! Try this proven, but highly effectively method!:wink: Take your right hand and clamp it it overtop your right ear, and your left hand and clamp it over your left ear! That way you will hear no evil about your doctors!:rotfl:! Seriously though, say, we made the best decision for my circumstances. Period. No further discussion is needed with these people who aren't listening. They will either get on board or won't, but don't waste your time trying to explain something they haven't gone through!
 
I think your husband is doing/saying exactly the right things and if all your friends and relatives can do is offer hysterical ill-informed opinions about something of which they clearly have no experiential knowledge, then you can do without them for now!

I completely agree. When things don't go as planned, it is easy to point fingers, but that really does not help you right now. We are all here for you Sally.

<3 Kat
 
I second the previous posts & will take it a step further: I say, go with @RestAssured 's script and THEN, do not engage further; once you do, you are setting yourself up to feel defensive, overwhelmed, fatigued, & possibly doubtful of your own decisions. Keeping in mind that although those who are sticking their respective noses in this probably have your best interests at heart, they are not being helpful at this point. It's very important that your TONE conveys the strength of your convictions and that you sound definite, absolute, and final! You're on top of it & we're with you. Enjoy the Holidays.

Ellen
 
I'm so sorry to just now be catching up with your thread!!! I've been off to a conference and a vacation and totally missed all that you've been going through! I'm so glad that you have had your BoneSmart family rally 'round you as you got things sorted out. You have my prayers that things continue to go okay with the fight against the infection. And, while a revision may sound intimidating, in fact it can be just the thing you need to get you back on a positive track again.

I am happy to see the attention you've received. I think your medical team has done just fine. These types of infections are difficult sometimes and you need experienced doctors who have handled cases like this before. It sounds like you have that. It was good that no one rushed into doing something until they were totally sure what they were dealing with.

As for those "well meaning" folks who tend to bash your medical team, the advice you've received is right on target. Steer clear of these people as much as possible. When you must be around them and they start to voice an opinion, tell them you appreciate their concern, but you are looking ahead to the future and not back to past events.

Please try not to worry about your job right now. I know that's easier said than done sometimes. But things always have a way of working out and your first priority is to get better.

We're here for you, hon!!!! Lean on us when you need to.
 
Sally, you're on everyone's mind here. If all our good thoughts count for anything, you are going to get through this and be just fine. Waiting and seeing for medical reasons has to be one of the hardest things for anyone to do. Just know that right this very moment, people all over the world are pulling for you, and will continue to do so all along the way.

Sharon
 
Sally, I agree with all the above. You are comfortable with your docs, and it sounds like you're getting great care. You are in the best position to make a judgment about your docs, not all those outsiders who really have NO idea about what has gone on. Only you know how you feel you've been treated. Seems like nowdays everybody is always ready to point the finger of blame whenever something bad happens, but sometimes things just happen. My OS told me at the beginning that although infections are rare, sometimes despite the best efforts of everyone involved, they DO happen and can be tough to fight.

I'd tell all those nosey folks to keep their opinions to themselves and go with your own feelings. You don't need to hear all that stuff. You need positive reinforcement and support now and you have a right to expect it of your friends.

You are continually in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get to go home for the holidays. We're all here for you.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi everyone

I came home yesterday....but it all hit me and I had my very own pity party!!!!!

I was super tired and then after speaking to the DR I just felt awful. When I got home my dad was waiting in the driveway to pick up something I bought myself for him to give me for Christmas and I got even more ticked (excuse my language). My mum passed nearly 3 years ago and although he is great he's just very selfish!!!!

I'm on the couch zonked from the trip home and picking kids up from friends and he's sitting there going where are the shoes????? Anyway, then DH had to take DD1 out and I felt lonely, awful and alone. So I had my pity party.....cried a little....why me etc....and then slept for a few hours. Then I woke up better!!!! I just am so tired all the time!!!!

So the update is that my inflammatory markers came down again...and so I got to go home :happydance:
I'm to stay on the antibiotics indefinitely and have weekly blood tests to monitor the infection and also my blood count and liver function. As I've tolerated the AB (antibiotics...sick of writing it) orally they think I will continue to do so. They also help with the pneumonia.

Now to the hazy parts.....there is a very small chance that the antibiotics may resolve the infection but the OS is fairly certain a 1 or 2 stage revision is on the cards.....as to when that happens.....I may be able to wait even 6 months.

I'm uncertain how I feel about waiting....part of me just wants it over...but the other half sees some practical points for waiting, in that I can go back to work and schedule the revision (my health all being well) for mid year or when it suits me better. If I crash again then surgery happens straight away.....

My husband starts a new job in February for a US based company which will involve a bit of travelling throughout the first part of the year to the US for training etc....so to wait for those reasons could be good....and I could go back to work and get some money happening again. Hubby got a decent pay rise with the new job so I don't have to work but the medical bills have anilated us this year so it would be good to build some savings again

My reasons for not wanting to wait are that I have bug living in side of me!!!!:yikes: LOL. I hate taking AB and am aware that its not great long term. I am also used to not having much of a life so if I go and get into the full swing of life then it might make it harder to go through all this again. Also I just want it all over so I can move on with life.

The other reason I was a bit negative yesterday is that I have to be careful in the sun because these AB increase sun sensitivity and he would prefer it if I don't drink alcohol because the AB are metabolised by the liver as is alcohol. Ok, now don't get me wrong I'm not an alcoholic but at this time of year I will miss a champagne or cold beer after the beach.

Australia has hot summers and we are going on a beach holiday!!!! For 2 weeks....not being in the sun too much is really hard and not having a cold beer is even harder or at least on par. But I'm ok now....I'm home, I'm going to get better (there were a few days in hospital that I wondered if they would ever find what was wrong)

I'm going to get stronger and I can at least swim and do more that if I was going away with a spacer in my leg. It's a beautiful day here and I'm going to lie by the pool (under the umbrella) and rest. Better than hospital!!!!:yay:
Wayne's going to clean the boat and take me out one day this week. I'm home with my beautiful family and Oscar the dog!!!!! Love him. :puppysmooze:

And I have all of you and my life. A lady I knew from the vet and school passed away last week and I'm so very sad.....so I keep trying to remember that this isn't the end of the world, that hopefully they will fix it without another infection. I am drawing great strength from Sonja's story @RestAssured as I can read it better now my headache is nearly gone

The surgeon said he was so sorry that this had happened to me and he would make sure I had everything I needed to get through this and also this season when all the Drs are away including himself for all of January . I have his mobile and can call any time if I get worse. He is going to ring my GP on Monday to personally explain what I need in terms of AB and tests etc.....I have enough AB for the next 6 weeks too.

Well there's my update ....thank you for all your support and well wishes. :thankyou:

Talk soon
 
Australia has hot summers and we are going on a beach holiday!!!! For 2 weeks....not being in the sun too much is really hard and not having a cold beer is even harder or at least on par.
Oh Sally I know what you mean - a beach holiday here in Oz, keeping out of the sun AND no beer :shocked::shocked:

But seriously it is great that you are now out of hospital and back with the family. The unknown future of your infection is very hard to live with I know however count your blessings in that you will be with your family for Christmas and not in a hospital bed. Hope it all continues to go well for you and have a wonderful time over the Christmas break :)
 
I'm uncertain how I feel about waiting....part of me just wants it over...but the other half sees some practical points for waiting. My reasons for not wanting to wait are that I have bug living in side of me!!
Sally, clearly you did not read post #2 of the article I suggested. Infection: peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection

I also said this in a previous post

Fact is, this kind of infection is not an emergency and often experienced revision surgeons will deliberately leave it for weeks or even months until the infection is established and they can see exactly what they are dealing with. Sally, did you read that article I suggested? In there is explained why this is not the kind of infection that can result in septicaemia and/or threaten life and limb. There's also a thread in the knee forum from a young member who has had a peri-prosthetic infection for 12 years but she's a bit of a special case! Facing 2nd knee revision due to infection.
 
Thanks @Josephine I of course did read your article.

Yes I know all the practical stuff of waiting its just that I've been so unwell (am still) that I don't want it to flare again.

I know it probably won't.....it's just my thoughts xxxx
 
I haven't posted on your thread before, but wanted to let you know I've been following your progress and wish you the very best. You're the same age as one of my daughters and I cannot imagine how distressing it would be to go through this. Hang in there and know there are a lot of folks rooting for you -- and hoping you enjoy your holiday!
 
Hang in there Sally! This time of year is hard on some but with all you are dealing with I personally think you are a trooper! Spend a bit of time in the sun. Relax and rest. Your body is fighting this and of course it make you tired. We're all rooting for you!
 
Sally, I lived with "the bug" as you call it:heehee: I call it a "Beasty bug", inside of me for over a year before Dr. Maale operated! He told me that my best chances were when it was confined strictly to the metal and not running around in my body. That makes sense, because the biofilm can be thought of as a spiderweb that traps all of your bugs and won't let them bother the rest of your body. You might still have a few headaches and days of not feeling well, but I PROMISE, it IS worth the wait!!:happydance:
 
Hi Sally....great to read your post and know that you are home with your family for Xmas....especially Oscar!! It must be difficult for you as everything is a bit uncertain.....but think it's right your OS is erring on the side of caution and taking the conservative route before rushing in for more surgery. He sounds though that he knows exactly what he is doing. Do hope you enjoy your holidays ( stay under an umbrella...shame about the beer.....I've found elderflower cordial and lemonade is great when it's hot....yeah, I know, it's not alcohol..but it is refreshing.... Sunshine sounds soooo good...brrrrr it's cold and verywet here in the UK....thinking of you and wishing you all the very best. Take good care... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sally
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
 
Thank you @calikat,

I truly wish that @Vetgirl, did not have this to deal with! When I was going through this, biofilm was in its infancy, so I didn't know near as much as much as I do now. I am glad I am here to help others with hip or knee infections understand that they are not alone, and that this is not the end! I am living proof that things can get very bad, and still come out with a terrific outcome! :happydance:

Sally, I will be here for you whenever you need me! Questions? Fire away! No question too big of too small and if I don't know, I will find someone who does! We are all part of the big network of the BoneSmart family.:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom