Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to see you are up and posting, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. I too also hatted that feeling of not being able to shower in the hospital. Can't wait to hear more updates and look forward to hearing about your recovery.
 
Like all of the others, I just had to stop by to tell you hello! I am so thankful you were able to get that shower. . .it is TRULY amazing that soap and water can feel sooooo good!!! Ahhhhh. . .

I'm praying for your total healing, my brave friend!❤️


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Hi, Sally. I would love to find something profoundly insightful to say, but words fail me other than to join with your legion of fans here on BS & just say I hope your progress continues, that all the necessary medical & emotional pieces fall into place, that you gain some strength, get more rest & begin to really feel that things are slowly looking up. Once those ABX stop & your BP & hemaglobin go up, I bet you'll feel loads better! Especially with more showers! ❤❤❤
 
Though you feel rubbish @Vetgirl - you sound good. I hope you get a decent rest, and are getting the care you need.
 
@Vetgirl Sally, you are toughing it out in hospital now, but things will look up and you'll go home and sleep for 4 blissful hours at a time between pain meds and feedings!! I am so glad it'a alll over but the healing now. You deserve the very very best!! :) chris
 
@Vetgirl Sally, so glad to see you posting. I can only imagine how exhausted you are, I know my 2 days in hospital were tiring but your body has been thru so much more than the average hippie on here. Here's hoping that this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship with your new hip, and that you both get on swimmingly!! :wink: Also hoping that you will soon be home to rest and get better!! We are all rooting for you here hun!! :flwrysmile:
 
@Vetgirl Sally, I join the chorus extending my best wishes for a good and swift recovery for you - certainly, you've earned it! I hope you feel much better physically and emotionally very soon.
 
Hi Sally, great to hear your post surgery report. I hope the low BP & nausea/vomiting improve quickly for you, pretty hideous isn't it? Oooooo how lovely, a shower, I still remember that glorious first shower. Wishing you an uneventful recovery.
 
Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

I actually was much better today...I felt ok. I slept well and then got the catheter out!!!! Hubby dropped in before breakfast and bought me a coffee and we had a nice catch up and chat without the kids. They were sleeping in. I love the kids visiting but it was lovely to just chat to him. I dozed after breakfast and then Dr came by.

The cultures haven't grown anything which is great. They intend to keep me on oral abx probably till the end of the year. He actually said something like they won't ever really consider me cured....scary but I'm not going to dwell on that. If theres just one little bug left it can start again but that's the same with most things isn't it? Haemoglobin has gone up again too so that's probably another reason I feel better too. I have the IV out this afternoon too.

My sister and her kids visited for a little bit and I did a little walk. I felt a bit sick and dizzy afterwards and then the kids and Wayne visited and I was stuffed so Wayne helped me have another shower and they tucked me up in bed for another sleep. It's Sunday here and so it's a lot quieter during the day too. It's amazing how many visitors come to a hospital and practically yell right outside your door when you just want to rest!!!

So being off the IV abx should make a big difference to my sleep which will be great. It's strange that I can have had 3 THR type surgeries and the pain/ discomfort has been similar but different. My leg this time feels quite tight and swollen. Even my calf feels swollen. It's easy to walk on it as I'm not supposed to put full weight on it and of course I'm used to doing that with the spacer so that bits easy. I've attached a pic just before my shower when I got my TED Stockings off. We are lucky here that we can shower as soon as able because the Dr's use a waterproof dressing over the wound for the purpose.

Well that's about it tonight. I was busy looking for @busylizzie s thread this morning (finally found it at the bottom of her signature) and posted on a few threads but then it's like someone takes out my battery and I flop. Early days yet.....

I hope your going well Diane @dianehelen and everyone else on your own journeys.

Talk soon




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1402220449.448680.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 255
That is excellent news Sally!! So very happy for you my friend! That leg does look a lot bigger for sure but it will go down I am sure. Must be so good to get the IV out too!
xxx
 
@Vetgirl Sally, what a journey. I'm so glad to hear you are starting to come around and feel better. It's amazing how crappy low hemoglobin can make you feel. Mine is usually on the low side and I remember during chemo it dropped to 6 and I could not walk 10 steps without feeling exhausted. After a 2 unit transfusion I felt almost instantly better. Then after my 3rd surgery with this hip, same thing happened, and once again fresh blood helped. Do you know how much longer you will be in hospital? You are so sweet to ask about me, with all you are going thru. I'm coming along I guess, still pain from this wound, and constantly fighting with this vac. Still Doing my 3x a day iv ABX, a few more weeks of that. And my op leg is also still tight and a bit swollen, and I'm 3 months out from my THR. But, saw my OS last week, he says all looks ok, so I'm hoping he is right. You keep up the good work and rest and heal up do you can resume your life! Loads of hugs & love to you my friend :-D
 
Hi,@Vetgirl! So happy to hear from you after your surgery and your amazingly detailed and (as always, well written) report. So grateful as I know everyone is that you take the time to post and even show pictures and chronicle your journey. You are a generous soul, Sally. It sounds like you are doing pretty darn well. (easy for ME to say) I hope your pain is managed and you are able to get some rest and sleep. Both are important, and not easy in a hospital. As for being left without a shower or a wash-up, I think that is somewhat common here in the States (it was with me) and amazing how the "little" things like that can make a huge difference. So it seems really strange that hospitals overlook that. I'm sorry you had to put up with it!
You are always in my thoughts even when I can't post here. I will check in on you again and I send best wishes and healing thoughts for you. Thank you again for all you do for your Bonesmart friends.
 
Just managed to hook up on a Wifi to see that you are feeling slightly better Sally.....so pleased for you. Hope the dizziness wears off soon.....thinking of you! Nice looking pair of pins (legs!). Thinking of you Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Sally, so glad to hear you doing so well! You are a star patient! I hope you continue to feel better and better and get as many showers as you want! Hope the sickness and nausea goes away very soon...
Thanks to @Poppet and Bill @fulafoto for crucial updates early on. :)
I've just caught up with all your posts as I've been ill with demon migraine. Your progress has cheered me up. :):)
Hope today continues on an upward trend, hugs, Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi....another day passes by slowly here in hospital.

To be honest, I'm sick of being here, sick of the food (sick of all food actually), bored but tired and over it all.

I slept well, but just had a niggling feeling I had a urinary tract infection (UTI). I don't usually get any symptoms with these or get them very often but it seems I'm run down and as I got one last time I had a niggle that I may have one again. I actually mentioned to the nurse yesterday about whether I should get a urine test but he thought that the range of abx I'd been on should have covered it.

I asked the nurse today if they could do a urine test and explained why and she did a dipstick which showed a few elements that indicate a UTI. They have sent another sample off to see what bug it is, but the OS came in after this and has put me on some more abx (I don't think I'm taking enough!!!!! Do you???:loll:). He's not happy that I have one 'it's not good' were his words and he obviously wants it treated ASAP. He checked the wound and is very very happy with how it looks. The nurse redressed it. He says I might be able to go on Thursday. I'm pretty disappointed....I thought I'd be out of here sooner, although to be honest it's not a ball of fun at home alone either. He wants to do some more bloods and said there is of course no guarantee I won't be back here if something happens. The reality of it all is back in my face again. And I suppose I just thought it would be over.

I think I've got the blues....perfectly normal I know. I'm Sick of tea, TV, food, lying on my back, taking abx and pain meds, I've been having headaches and as I said I'm bored but too tired to do anything really. OS said it's expected that I'll be tired after all the surgeries and infection. The physio today is my least favourite and a few things she said just plain out annoyed me. It made me feel better when hubby got here and complained about things too. He's sick of people messaging him with stupid questions and if he doesn't get back to them straight away, they want to know if he got the message or what!!!! Hey people, we don't live our lives on social media...,have you heard of the phone????? Or giving people a chance to get back to you......

We had a good laugh at people's expectations of both of us. It's tiring. Some family members thought it might be fun to do a surprise interstate visit with us which thankfully hubby got a say in.....NO. That would have just meant extra work and expense for him....not help for him. They don't help. And it's not fun when you work, your wife is in hospital and you are running 2 kids back and forth.

Oh well that's my whinge for the day.....hope you are all well.....
 
Hope tomorrow is a better day Sally.

I can attest not only to the discomfort with UTI's but also the risk to my kidneys and ultimate risk of systemic infection.......

:)
 
Yes @Poppet they would be extra dangerous for you. I'm very fortunate that I don't experience the usual symptoms/ discomfort from them.....yay for me...on one front anyway :snork:
 
Yes absolutely, honey, you have enough on your plate without the horrid symptoms. @Vetgirl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom