Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been really busy with my move and so sorry I haven't been here to cheer you on. Know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Glad you now have your new hip, wishing you all the comfort and sending great big hugs your way!! :friends:
 
@Vetgirl So glad that you are safely through your surgery.I hope your recovery goes really well.You are in my thoughts and my prayers x
 
Bill and I are txt'ing Sally, she hasn't lost her sense of humor or her caring for others.. She really is a trouper!

Good morning Sally, hope you had a reasonable night. Thinking of you all the time :) and our wonderful patient bill, @fulafoto - such a good friend to all of us.. Hugs and love to both of you xxxx
 
Sally-a-gram update for today - Saturday 7pm;
"Another tiring night and tiring day - they seem to have to connect antibiotics all evening and night and then wake up with aches and pain. Didn't get far on my walk due to dizziness/low BP ... this is how it usually goes for me but extra tired too. Husband got me in the shower this afternoon and had my Dad visit too but that was it - too tired. Will check my bloods again tomorrow but they went up slightly so they held off transfusion."

She also thanked everyone again for there lovely messages and support.

Lets hope she feels a whole lot better tomorrow!
 
Hi everyone

Thanks to Bill for updating everyone. I've been very lucky to be blessed by 2 such thoughtful Aussies in @fulafoto and @Poppet who have been texting me to see how I am.

I've really appreciated everyone's messages of support and have gotten on to read them. As you may have noticed the first night I replied in my drugged stupor, even though I was falling asleep and couldn't really type because I had a splint on one hand where they had a line (sort of like a drip line into an artery on my wrist ) which measured bloop pressure (BP) blood gases and also take blood easily. On the other hand was my IV fluids and where they were pumping the ABX into me. I was truly delirious/hyper that night...lack of sleep? Relief it was over? Emotion? I'm not sure.

When I checked in on the Wednesday I was placed in a private room in ICU. All went well from there. I was eventually hooked up to some IV abx (Gentamycin) which had to run for 2 hours before surgery as per Drs instructions. I checked in at 11am and went up to surgery at about 3 pm. A little bit of a wait...chat to anaesthetist and surgeon, assistants etc and we were off.

Woke up in recovery in more pain than original THR but less than when the THR came out. The surgeon visited me in recovery and was please with how it all went. Tissues looked good, there was fluid from the cement rubbing on the bone but he expected that too. He took swabs from several different areas to send off and see if anything grows but doesn't anticipate that it will especially after being on abx for so long.

New THR went in well, bone is is good shape and so he is happy for me to full weight bear as I'm up to it. Xray shows THR is a good place as well. I have 2 screws this time!!!! Leg length is good. The first night I was given 2 blood transfusions as I lost a bit of blood in surgery. I didn't get much sleep because of the this and also they are running more Gentamycin and ampicillin all the time.Dr said I didn't have to get up that day but when physio cam I got up, out the door and a bit further and back. Much less painfull than cement spacer and I'm pretty good now at not putting much weight on it when on a walker. Worst thing was the dizziness.

Later that day I was moved out of ICU up to surgical ward, where I have stayed during most of my stays here. Pretty uneventful day, obs, pain killers, abx and resting. Long night though. I had a sleeping tablet but still got woken up quite abit for obs and the changing and flushing of all the abx going through the drip. I was so tired the next day!!!!! Slept on and off all day...drifted in and out. Dad came for an early visit and hubby and the kids later. We cancelled all other visits as I felt so rubbish. Bloods had dropped a little again and BP was low again. Had a bad night again with very little sleep due to constant interruptions. Then you get woken up early to get more bloods taken etc...you know the drill.

So today I was still exhausted. To make matter worse no one offered me a wash or a shower and I'd had no ice all morning. I could hear them offering everyone else washes etc and so I just fell asleep with The poops and feeling sorry for myself. I just thought this time I'd feel better....anyway I don't. Physio came and I told her I felt rubbish and was in a bad mood so she said she'd come back. She came back as I was throwing up lunch and I walked a few steps until they turned me around due to dizziness.

Hubby and the girls came while I was having a sleep and after a while they got me in the shower which was wonderful and I've been resting ever since. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day and I think all the IV abx stop then too. Fingers as always are crossed that this will be it for me!!!!

I must say that my leg is dead but not nearly as dead as usual. Pain is around incision but that will be going through the scar tissue and the thigh achy as usual. Maybe the legs not as dead as most of the bone work had already been done.

Dr actually went searching for my spacer but it had been thrown out.

Hope you are all going well with all your own journeys....and once again thanks for continuing to help me through these times.

Talk soon

Xxx
 
Hiya grasshopper @Vetgirl - that shower would have felt like absolute bliss.. Did the girls shampoo your hair as well? They are such sweeties!

I am not surprised that you are so exhausted hon, this has been such a long and painful journey. So many emotions to deal with. Tomorrow is going to be a better day... Bill and I have lots of texts for tomorrow..

Nite Sally xxx
 
Wow Sally @Vetgirl, you've been through such a lot! I think some of the exhaustion we feel post-op is all the stress and strain of the previous months finally catching up with us, so I am not at all surprised to hear how tired you feel. Just go with it: rest, rest, rest and take care of yourself! :)
 
Hey Sally - great to read your post!!!!! Fingers crossed here too and oh what a bummer they through out the spacer!:snork::snork:
Hoping you're feeling a whole lot better tomorrow and as @Poppet said - we have lots of texts for you :yes!::yes!:

Take care and rest up xxx
 
Glad to read you're recovery report. Mine has been a roller coaster too and I'm slowly coming round pumped full of antibiotics. Best wishes that we recover together and this is the final surgery for both of us.
 
Great to hear from you Sally! It sounds like things are moving along.
 
I am so happy to read of your progress! Ever since I found BS, I have been reading of your ordeal. . .I cannot imagine the extent of the suffering you have endured, but, I am thankful you have reached this point! I pray that as you continue your recovery, Christ will bring you into green pastures and restore every cell in your body !

❤️
marti


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Sally, sounds like things are brightening for you now.
Glad you got a nice shower. That felt great, I am sure....
Rest up, and I hope you feel much better soon! ((HUGS))
 
well @Vetgirl . I see you're posting up a storm here so I guess that means you're feeling better, I hope. glad your initial reports are basically positive. I noticed how often you said that this is how it 'usually' goes for you. just wishing that you have a very new form of 'usually' very soon.!
 
Gosh Sally, I'm sure all the activity is necessary to ensure your wellness and healing but you need rest too. Just reading your report made me tired. I hope they can find a way to let you have 3 or 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I'm glad you feel well enough to post, the trend is looking positive :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
 
@Vetgirl Sally - I was so happy to see you had some strength to post a message. I am so glad that we've been able to help in some small way to boost your spirits and let you know you have dozens of friends here who (if not completely understand) sympathize with what you are enduring right now. It's the absolute worst to be waked up every few hours. For me, when it wasn't the nurses coming to do bloods and give meds, it was one of my roommates IV machine having a fit and beeping its fool head off! It was so hard to fall asleep in the first place because of being on my back, so to get waked up was terrible. I could not WAIT to get out of that hospital . . . partly because I really needed a shower. After the first day nobody even offered me a wet cloth to wash my face - and my hair was so gross, it was so hot in there! I'm so glad you were able to get a shower - that can really help to relax your body and boost your spirits. Praying you've gotten a better sleep this night - it would currently be 5 am your time. Blessings & Prayers, as always :)
 
Just checking in again Sally. Hopefully someone finally came to offer you a shower. I felt like such a grunge in the hospital. It was heaven to finally wash my hair. I think the hospital stays are difficult because you feel so dependent. Keep us updated when you can. We want to hear every little thing. <3
 
Just checking in with you Sally and hope you are doing better. Be patient and get some sleep when you can!! Best wishes and have a great recovery. Hugs and well wishes!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom