Guest viewing is limited

THR In recovery land

my first thought is always, have I done something to ruin the surgery!
 
I don't think so, but you may be prolonging the recovery process a bit if you're continually aggravating healing soft tissue. If what you're doing doesn't feel like its working for you, try something else for a time, like stepping away from PT. It doesn't have to be permanently, but may be worth try.
@Poodle3
 
my first thought is always, have I done something to ruin the surgery!
That's the first though we all have, and usually we're all wrong and it's just aggravated soft tissue. This is a long haul recovery for most of us and the first month or more is just letting things heal. We can walk and move but if we push it the soft tissue doesn't heal it just hurts.
 
I'm sure your car drive and appointment did indeed help your spirits. Good for you
I'm sorry you've been in more pain and discouraged.
Would you consider stopping all PT exercises for at least 2 weeks to see how that works for you?
Then you could revisit the PT and assess how well you are moving and feeling before deciding what to do going forward.

I wish you the best.. one day soon you will be over this recent hurdle.
 
I think that’s a very good idea.
This happened after post op appt. Maybe coincidental. The PA suggested a piriformis stretch. That may be the culprit.
Thank you for the encouragement that I’ll get over this.
 
So PT says, you’ll get better if you do your exercises and stay active. I guess it’s my job to balance with what activity does to me. The balance, right.
How does PT know ?? I was feeling better and now my leg is hurting again so I am icing and resting I do not believe moving it more is going to help..I think rest ice and TIME.. one day at a time Poodle3
 
I’m at almost 3 weeks and yes I know it’s early in recovery. The PA mentioned piriformis stretch for butt pain. So sorry I did it. My weight bearing on op leg is not as good since. I do use a cane but have noticed weight bearing is more difficult since that stretch.
Anyone have experience with this and how long it takes to settle down? I’ve been so cautious and now feel sort of dumb blindly listening to her.
Thanks
 
Hi Poodle.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It will just take time and since everyone is different, there isn't any way to predict a timeframe. I can't imagine it wouldn't take over a week or two longer.
Hopefully you did a gentle attempt and didn't force the stretch?
Continue to ice the area and take it easy with activities and allow things to calm down.
Don't blame yourself.
You listened to your medical professional, my advice is to contact the office and make sure they know that this advice hurt you.
 
I did the stretch in the office then again later in the day. Gentle or forced, (how much does that matter for damage) don’t really remember. I know it hurt.
the only restriction I received was the golfers lunge.
I did let them know.
For what it’s worth, my home PT was very surprised at the advice. She didn’t think one incident would loosen my hip prosthetic but rightly advised don’t do it again.
I got over the headaches, constipation, and nausea so I hope this will Pass as well.
 
It will pass.. but could be stubborn. I did something weird with both THR recoveries where I unintentionally hurt the soft tissue surrounding the new hip. Soft tissues can really complain. That's the only reason I asked if the stretch was forced. It may add a few days to your recovery than if it wasn't forced.

With my first THR, I slipped on some water on the bathroom floor.. boy, did that hurt. and hurt for a good 2 weeks or more. Second THR I was trying to raise my hips over rumpled blankets in bed, so did a form of a bridge, I suppose.. again, it set me back and had to use my cane for at least a couple more weeks. But all healed and recovered..
 
thank you for sharing your experiences. I don’t remember my first one being so challenging but then my body is 10 years older.
I feel fortunate to have enough support to manage my household and allow my recovery to continue as long as it takes.
you are a blessing
 
Absolutely @Poodle3 many of us experienced those uh-oh moments and worried.
Glad to be able to relate a bit from my experiences to help ease your mind.
 
@Poodle3 I accidentally went to look at my dog and forgot and bent to the floor once there i was like Oh God what am I doing?? Slowly used my fingers to push up. I was fine but trying to walk the stairs normally really had me sore the next day.
I have tried that twice and both times got me to limping again, so I do one stair and no more with operated leg for now, everyday I can feel improvement but that didn't happen until this week.
You are still so early, I thought week 3-4 were the worst with the back and forth hip better no its not scenario :shrug:
 
Sure takes longer than I thought. I saw my surgeons PA earlier this week because of the stretch I did which set me back with weight bearing. X-rays just fine. It’s muscular which will take time. I mentioned that the first one was so easy. Perhaps I don’t remember well. Like childbirth, conveniently forgetting the pain.
 
Pretty surprising they had you doing any stretches at 3 weeks. Only stretches I did early on were upper body while sitting in a chair. Forcing a stretch on healthy muscles isn't good but on damaged healing muscles is really bad. It's so easy to have setbacks to the soft tissue in the first months of recovery. We all worry about damaging the implant which seems very rare. My second seemed more painful and slower than my first but I think it was the memory thing.
 
Forcing a stretch on healthy muscles isn't good but on damaged healing muscles is really bad. It's so easy to have setbacks to the soft tissue in the first months of recovery.
Totally agree with Eman on this!!! And I am not surprised your PT was "very surprised" at the PA's advice...
If I were you I would not be doing that stretch at this stage, especially if, as you said earlier, it made the pain worse.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom