Guest viewing is limited

THR Impingement

You will see a search box at the top of the page and you can put your search in there. I am just a few days from my one year anniversary since I had my hip replaced. I, too, had a great recovery and no problems. About 6or 7 weeks ago I noticed something very similar to what you describe. I can walk all day with no problem and usually don’t even notice it on stairs but I can’t lift my leg into the car any more without helping it up. I tagged Josephine (forum nurse advisor/administrator) and she said it sounded like quad pain caused from overdoing the walking, etc. to tell you the truth though, I don’t walk any mire now than I did 4 or 5 months ago. It hasn’t gotten any worse but I don’t think it has gotten much better either. I have an appt for my one yr check the first week in May so I’ll see what PA says then. I’m just not quite sure what to do to make it feel better. All that said though, I am in far better shape now than I was prior to surgery so if I have to live with this, no problem. I should note that if I lift my leg straight up as in a “marching motion,” mine does’t hurt. I’ll keep an eye on your thread to see what you find out. Hopefully the Advil helps you and you will find your answer as to the cause/cure.
 
Hi @lucinda007
I'm so sorry to hear you're having an issue.
Hopefully it will be short lived. With over two weeks to wait until your appointment,
consider tagging Josephine to weigh in. She may be able to advise as you wait.
I hope you soon find relief. Wishing you a good day!
 
@lucinda007 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
I think I would like a new thread as I’m sure not positive now. My groin is killing me and I would like to get some input from others. Not sure what to put because I had no pain until recently. Perhaps “New Groin Pain after Anterior THR”.
 
Me again. I got my hip fixed now my brain doesn’t work..I would like to describe my pain to @Josephine and show her where it hurts. It is very strange. I am not sure it is groin. Also, I still can’t find the search at the top of any page. If Josephine can send me the graph, I can show where it hurts upon lifting my leg. Thanks
 
After thinking about your post, I don’t think mine is the same as yours as I really don’t have any sharp pains. Mine feels more like it feels when you do a new exercise or an activity you haven’t done for a long time and I only feel it when getting in and out of car. I hope you will be able to get some answers soon as pain is no fun. Sending healing thoughts your way!
 
Here it is.

[Bonesmart.org] Impingement
 
@lucinda007
Just thought you might be using the Bonesmart app on a smartphone? I do have trouble with the app on my iPad so I just log in by using the Bonesmart.org website and not the app. You can search at the top of the page on the website.
I cannot see how to search either using the app.
 
@Josephine. My pain on lifting my leg is at V-R2F. Here are the symptoms:

Anterior THR 11/28/17

1. If I flex leg mor than 6”, I get sharp pain

2. In the swimming pool, I can even march with no pain.

3. In bed laying on left side, I can flex leg with a little pain but when I roll over to right side and try to flex same right leg it really hurts.

4. When I try and flex leg as far as I can, it really hurts sharp but also I feel like it’s too weak to lift any farther.

I gained 15 lbs after my THR so I know that might be an issue. I did pt and finished about 1 month ago. My leg didn’t hurt at all. Actually, I had more problems with my back. I have to lift my leg to get into the car. I’m 5’5” and 155 lbs.


@GrannyC, I’ve wondered if it could be a quad. I want to hear what the PA says about your pain. Maybe she/he has some suggestions that I could try.

@BeBe, I’m going to give that a try. Thanks!
 
@lucinda007 I read your thread about your groin pain and I'm sorry that you are experiencing that. I had a posterior approach and had groin pain afterwards. It got so bad that I could not walk any distance without pain. Like you, I also had to take my hands to lift my leg when getting into the car. If I just sat on the sofa and did nothing, the pain would subside (which all of this has caused me to gain weight)

I had x-rays, which showed that everything was OK. I had a CT scan, which the report said that everything was ok. It wasn't until I went to a revision surgeon who viewed the CT images, that I found out that the screws (one in particular) was protruding into my psoas muscle. It took me a LONG time to finally get this figured out. But after many x-rays, CT scan, MARS MRI, injections, hip aspiration, etc. I had a revision done to remove the screws. So far, it feels like a different hip! I am able to walk without pain for the first time since before my original surgery.

I hope you get answers as to the source of this pain at your appointment. Sending well wishes your way... :angel:
 
Thank you Marvy. Although I find your journey a little scary, I’m glad you finally are pain free. A few minutes ago (7am) I was sitting and having coffee. I sneezed and an incredibly sharp pain shot through me groin. I yelped and grabbed the arm of the chair. My poor husband doesn’t know what to do and neither do I. We are in Florida and it’s beautiful weather. I rode my bike yesterday and took a 1 mile bike ride. Then went shopping. I go back and forth....rest/not rest. I really appreciated your response. I trust my OS. He is going to take an X-ray on May 7 and examine me. If you have the time or interest, please follow me to see if anything else “rings a bell”. Thanks
 
I rode my bike yesterday and took a 1 mile bike ride. Then went shopping. I go back and forth....rest/not rest

I sure hope you get some answers but really think I would curb any activity like that even if you don't think it could be the cause until you are able to see him.
If there were too be a problem as Marvy describes, or even something less ominous..that activity may not be helping.
Want all to be well with you @lucinda007:) :-) (:
 
He is going to take an X-ray on May 7 and examine me.

I would recommend that even if your x-ray looks good and you continue to have the pain, ask about a CT or MRI. My surgeon and three hip revision surgeons told me that my x-rays were "textbook perfect".

I agree with Mojo333 in that I would curtail activities until after your appointment. I know that is hard to do when you are active and enjoy getting out and about...
 
@Mojo333, you are probably right. I’m going to just walk a little. Maybe float in the pool. A real pain to be in Florida and just sit. But, you said if it is something bad it might make it worse to walk and bike (those were my “taking it easy activities not pickleball or golf). Ugh. Oh well, it’s a beautiful day and I have a wonderful, patient husband to listen. Can’t wait for my appt. to figure out what’s wrong. Today I drove to the grocery and had to lift my leg to brake!!! I’m done driving. Yikes.
 
@lucinda007 just a little tip - there is no need to use the quote function every time you post - especially if you are tagging a member. Just scoot down to the empty box at the bottom of and page and start typing your post.
 
Thanks Jaycee. I called my OS and the receptionist suggested I get an X-ray here in FL and to take more Advil. 4 pills and the 6 hours later 4 more. Yikes. Not sure I want to do that. And yes, Marvy, I’m going to school on your story. I already asked the Dr office if they don’t see anything wrong with the replacement if they’d got for other types of films.
 
I've read your post but still need more information but I need you to answer the questions twice. First answer them ALL for the period of about 6 weeks after surgery and then answer them ALL again for now. Two separate sets of answers - okay?

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
I hope you get it resolved quickly Lucinda. My one remaining issue (surgery just a few days after yours) is hip flexion - I still can't bring it up as far as before and get pain at the top front of my thigh if I bring the knee up too quickly, walk too much or use any sort of resistance. It seems to be a hard area to calm down with as much as we use it. It's better now than a couple of weeks ago when I had a very sharp pain moving in bed (fighting my blankets) after being very rudely awakened by my 2 cats fighting.

I do take comfort, though, in remembering I had some of the with the first hip. I can't say for sure when it went away, but it did.

Hope you get a good answer soon!
 
Hopefully Jo can shed some light after you give her some guidance so she can compare the answers to the two sets of questions.
Glad you've decided to try to cool out for now...
Maybe something is just aggravated.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom