Imminent THR and having thoughts of cancelling

Hi @Lady Bear! I am 42 and scheduled for a LTHR a week from Wednesday. I was hoping I could put this off for a few more years. I have a 4-year-old and 9-month-old and the thought of recovering from a major surgery with two little ones in the house is terrifying. For a long time I didn’t want to admit that I needed this surgery. But my life has gotten so small thanks to the constant pain. I can’t do the active things I used to love. I can’t even sit on the floor and play with the baby. So I’m doing this for them and for me. And it’s going to be hard. And I’m anxious about it too. It’s totally natural to be anxious and apprehensive. But I fully believe it’ll be worth it in the end. I hope you go through with it. You shouldn’t have to live with this pain.
 
@Lady Bear The longer you wait the more complex the recovery. If you are fit and flexible now you will be just that post op. Sure there is a recovery phase. But once your new hip is recovered you will get back to all the activities you love.

All the best tomorrow! See you on the recovery side soon!
 
I've put up with the pain for over 12 years and I think I have gotten used to it.
This makes me sad. I had both hips replaced simultaneously and I'm back to my life in the best way possible.
Years of misdiagnosis caused me to live with the pain..and I'm very strong and soldiered on.
There's really nothing I Couldn't do, if I had to...but pain and sleepless nights were definitely wearing on my body and spirit. Pain is not healthy for us.
I hope you get some peace about this...and yes, it takes an effort to not play the what if game.
Wishing you a good day!
 
I agree with all the others. This is a HUGE decision and a major operation but it does give you back your life. I didn’t put mine off as long as some but when it started to hurt with nearly every step I took, I decided I needed to get it done. I not only got all my range of motion back (with no PT I might add) but I also got more energy back. I hadn’t realized how tiring it was to be in pain like that. I, too, discovered this forum before my surgery and it was a huge help. There was always someone right here to answer any question I might have and/or offer support when needed. Recovery went much faster than I had anticipated which was nice, too. Before surgery I would occasionally have a day with a little less pain and then the second thoughts come rushing in. I’d wonder if I’d made the right decision but the next day the pain would be back in full force so then I’d return to thinking I was doing the right thing.

I will also point out that I reached a point (about the same time I scheduled my surgery) when my pain started to get worse rather quickly. I wish you well and I, too, hope you go through with the surgery. You are way too young to live with that kind of pain after only 15 minutes. Better to get your life back and enjoy it pain free. We are all here to cheer you on. Please keep us posted and I wish you all the best!!
 
I waited far too many years (15) to have my THR. My surgeon told my husband my hip was a disaster. I am currently relearning gait and gaining strength and confidence. Don't wait for your world to grow smaller and smaller. There is a loneliness there that defies explanation as you watch everyone enjoy things you only get to hear about.

I wish you well in your decision
 
Hello,

I feel for you as I am having the same feelings.I am in your situation but much older. I will be going to my first pre-op apt. tomorrow for TBHR (both) and surgery will be in 2-4 weeks after. I, too, lived with 1 hip that was shot for 12 years now I need both but I am 66 (in 2 days) and you are 41. It is hard to hear grin and bear it and all will be well and when you can't even get past the 'idea' of surgery. Oh and the depression from the loss, the pain the what ifs. Oh and the anxiety. I fear I will walk out of the OR. Well if you go I will go--let,s make a pact and get back to each other when done.
 
Let's try SCFE
That's not in the abbreviations and acronyms either .

So let's try being helpful to people not familiar with hip abbreviations. Not everyone has had your experience, and many people have very little medical knowledge. So when you use an abbreviation for the first time, it's helpful if you put the full words in brackets after the abbreviation.

SCFE = Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. I'm a nurse, but I had to search for it on Google.
 
Wow... Thank you everyone for answering my woes! You all have really helped ... My anxiety levels are down after reading all your kind words of truth, understanding and support
I wish everyone well who have had surgery or are also waiting
I was on a weird high this morning then came back down to earth later this afternoon as I started to pack my things ready for the morning. I felt the panic ride up again...I came back to this invaluable forum and it really settle my nerves! I can't not get it done after reading everyone's thoughts, I do have pain at night and my right knee is playing up lately because of my 10 year limp. So yeah......doing it ! Will definitely keep posting on how I'm doing post op.
Thanks again everyone....doubt I'll get any but going to try and sleep
 
@ Celle ... Thank you
My operation day is tomorrow 24th April at 7am. Will keep you posted on how it goes.
So lucky to have stumbled across this forum. You've all been very helpful
 
@Lady Bear Atta Girl! You'll be feeling so much better in no time. I think the docs have hip replacements down to a very good science.. it's pretty amazing when you realize the pain and restrictions are gone! Good luck and hey, you got this!
 
@Lady Bear don't forget to make a thread in the post op area. We will want to follow your recovery and cheer you on. See ya on the recovery side!

ETA: Best wishes for tomorrow
 
Last edited:
It Really Will be Okay.:ok:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not. But to take action when one is not afraid is easy.
Leap of faith, for sure.
But you have lots of folks to cheer you on.:friends:

I'm glad you have decided to get your life back..:)
 
Last edited:
Wishing you peace of mind and comfort as you await tomorrow.
I think you'll do great. We'll look forward to hearing from you when you're feeling up to it.
Sending a warm hug your way...
@Lady Bear
 
Bye bye hip pain.
See you on the healing side:tada:
 
That's not in the abbreviations and acronyms either .

So let's try being helpful to people not familiar with hip abbreviations. Not everyone has had your experience, and many people have very little medical knowledge. So when you use an abbreviation for the first time, it's helpful if you put the full words in brackets after the abbreviation.

SCFE = Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. I'm a nurse, but I had to search for it on Google.
If you look at your list it's under the S's next to SUFE.
 
So glad to see your fellow BoneSmarties have rallied 'round you for support. That's what it means to be part of the BoneSmart family. We're here for you. Just remember as you go through your check in at the hospital that we are there with you in spirit. You're going to be just fine and on your way to a new pain-free life very, very soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom