Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MissMoo have you been given clearance to drive? I'm not allowed to drive for 6 weeks and need surgeon clearance before I cn get behind the wheel (I miss driving). I won't be covered for insurance if I drive without clearance.

I hope your headaches go away..I'm also getting a tad bit bored as well. The restrictions are hard even though there isn't alot to worry about. I keep dropping things more than I usually do...lol..

Are you doing lot of exercises? I'm still doing what I was given in hospital and just keep adding to it. I'm not sure how far to push myself, it's kinda hard...

Hope you're having a lovely day...
 
Hi @Gilly. I don't need any clearance, with anterior surgery I can drive as soon as I feel ready.

Fingers crossed it's been the Targin causing the headaches because I'm fine today.

Exercise-wise, yes I've just been doing what the hospital PT prescribed; knee raises, side abduction and hip extensions..that and lots of wandering around Yes I just keep pushing it a little more each day. On day 2 I could barely lift my foot off the floor. Today I can get my knee above my hip!

Sounds like you're doing just fine too. I think we should try and enjoy the opportunity to indulge in as many naps as we like in a day. This time will be gone before we know it
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @MissMoo I have just got up from a nap...lol..but you're right about the time going quickly. It sounds like I'm doing similar exercises to you...Makes me feel a bit better..

Wow, it prob the way to go then having anterior surgery...Hmmmm wish I kinda had that too.I get so paranoid with the restrictions.....I wonder why they don't do all replacements that way..I'm prob having the other one done next year so will defo talk to my surgeon about it..

I'm having another good day today and hope you having a goodie as well...
 
Hell MissMoo thought I'd jump in here and tell you that I had headaches the first few days home and a very dry month. The pain from the surgery had decreased to a 1-2 so taking the pain meds as often didn't make sense so I reduced them from one every four hours to one every eight hours. After the first day I noticed my headaches where decreasing and my head not as foggy. I have the pain meds handy if needed but now just take extra strength Tylenol. ROM and strength are coming back so will be excited to see the a Doc next week to get the staples out and see what the PT says. Keep pushing but be patient and having naps following the sun is great. I haven't been outside yet so jealous but then again we have snow and -10 C weather...but still outside is freedom!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Once again I have to say thank goodness for Bonesmart! I just had to go and read the Leg Length Differential post in detail. I did notice reference to this pre-surgery but didn't dwell on it too much. Haha, well times have certainly changed! I just came back from a short walk with the dog. I went out on two crutches as I've noticed that walking for more than a few metres on one makes my back ache. A 'proper' walk makes you more conscious of your gait and I could feel myself bobbing up and down and, when I looked at my shadow in the evening sun, I could SEE myself bobbing up and down. Its so very disconcerting and I spent the entire walk worrying that this would surely mean there was something wrong and my wonderful experience was going to end badly with more surgery etc :boohoo:I feel much much better after reading about the LLD (although, of course, I won't be counting any :chuckmarch:). It would be good to hear from any Smarties who really had issues with this, how you felt and how long it took to resolve :)
 
I still feel a little difference but it is due to the fact my glut is still somewhat stiff. My Physio said that has the hip used to have nerves in the bone that communicated with the brain. Now I have an implant, so it wil now be muscle memory. It is very deceptive as it feels as though one is a little longer but as my glut muscles get stronger and I get more flexible in that area, the feeling is almost gone!
Cheryl
 
Hi @MissMoo I'm also trying hard to try and walk properly. Are you able to tell me where you found reading about LLD? Is it on the BoneSmart website?

Cheers
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!
@Gilly, here is the link to the article on LLD: Leg length differential - LLD
 
It would be good to hear from any Smarties who really had issues with this, how you felt and how long it took to resolve
I had LLD after my first THR. At the recommendation of everyone here I waited 3.5 months before seeing someone about it. Frankly, most every new hippie feels like there is a difference and in most cases the feeling just fades away.

Focus on heel, toe walking - placing your feet with purpose. It can take some time but I'll bet this goes away on it's own.
 
Thanks @Jaycey. I'll definitely give that a go. Right now I feel a little cartoonish when I walk.

I guess you're experiencing this too @Gilly - its very bizarre isn't it!?
 
I'm experiencing it as well @MissMoo but my surgeon did tell me there is a slight difference but he said I shouldn't notice any issues..The trouble is though after reading the LLD info on the BoneSmart website (very useful) it mentions pelvic tilting & that's what I think I was doing prior to the hip replacement. I felt like I couldn't stand straight and was standing like a duck...Will keep at it....

Thanks @bottomshollow for the LLD link...Will also give it a go @Jaycey cheers....


:)
 
Clare, at some stage you may want to consider using Nordic Walking Poles. I found that they really improved my gait quite quickly. I had a session with a Physio who is also an advanced Nordic Walking instructor and it was very interesting to get her observations regards my gait, I was limping but didn't realize - and yes, I had a slight LLD, which disappeared without me realizing.

I wrote an article about Nordic Walking - it is in the Social Room, here is the link -

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nordic-walking-poppet-walks-the-talk.16606/
 
@Gilly @MissMoo take heart ladies, I am still working on this as well. I only found out 2 weeks ago that my surgeon corrected my LLD during my RTHR. So I am now learning to walk without a lift in my right shoe. Yes, it's a bit "cartoon like" at times - especially when I am tired. For now I just slow down and focus on planting both feet firmly. It's very hard to break the habit of trying to stay off one side!
 
It's really hard to change old habits, but I'm working on it...

Thank goodness for BoneSmart and all it's lovely members.......:yahoo:
 
@Jaycey I just thought I'd drop in to say that the heel-toe (laugh my socks off as my phone just autocorrect that to hell-hole) walking has made a huge difference. My walking doesn't really feel wonky at all when I really concentrate on that. Top tips! Thank you:yes!:
 
So..I probably did too much yesterday morning, had retired to the sofa by 10.30am and was uncomfortable all day. Didn't sleep well last night; up at 6.30am and currently back on the sofa with ice and shooting pains right down my leg :(

I suppose it's to be expected but I just feel very impatient with it all today. I was planning to make some Christmas stuff but now not sure I'll even be able to get out for material. Oh well - I guess I've probably been riding the high for too long - back to earth with a clang
 
Impatience - all part of recovery I am afraid! This process is all about finding your limits, stepping back a bit and then trying again another day. What seems impossible one day is easy the next. Slow and steady! Little goals not major milestones.
 
I know how you feel! Went for a walk the other day and had IT pains around my knee. Stayed off it and used ice right away and a couple of Tylenols...that helped with the pain and discomfort but not the mind. I find dealing with the pain, exercises and recovery manageable however it is the mind games that get you! Especially when you were very active before, sitting still is not a skill I do well...unless I'm at a beach on a sunny day!

Jay eye good advice to be patient and have small goals which really are major accomplishments! I have found lately that keeping a journal/notes seem to help as they show progress. I'm mindful there will be bumps along the way however when you step back and look at the big picture you have come a long way! Take it easy but keep moving forward. We'll conquer this surgery and return to a wonderful life...even before Christmas!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
keeping a journal/notes seem to help as they show progress
This is why we recommend a recovery thread. When you are in the middle of this process progress can seem very slow. But if you read back on your recovery thread you can see just how far you have come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom