THR I'm on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Clare, as Jaycey indicated, patience is tough to acquire when at first we have the euphoria of no bone on bone pain. I found that my recovery went pretty much like growth spurts as a child - recovering well, then I hit a plateau - then it repeated this pattern.. [Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!! - I got this t shirt printed to remind me :)
 
There's been no update in a while. How is week two (or is it three) of recovery?
 
Hey there @jss. Sorry I updated Facebook but not you guys!

It's going really really well. I felt that lightbulb moment yesterday that walking doesn't hurt any more - it was quite emotional, and made me contemplate all the other things that won't hurt anymore either. I just need to wait a little longer now to test that out[emoji3]

I've been quilting like crazy to keep myself out of mischief - didn't head to bed until 1.30am this morning I was so into it.

Excited that my dressing comes off today so I'll post up a pic in the gallery [emoji3]
 
Glad things going well @MissMoo I'm having a down day today, sooooooo bored. I really don't know how people don't work, but I actually think it's the not able to drive that's getting to me the most...Hmmmmm I gotta hang in there a bit longer....
Hope your day is better than mine...:cool:
 
I'm smiling ear to ear. Congratulations on that monumental pain free walk!
 
End of week 3. Ditched the crutches and all the other bits and pieces. Just have my pillow on the sofa remaining for impromptu naps. Sick leave finished yesterday and the holiday starts today so I called into work for Christmas lunch. Feeling absolutely fantastic apart from residual muscle pain...oh and that a couple of hours yakking to everyone at work is a very tiring business :loll:

Walking is feeling better and better - just having to work hard to fully straighten my right leg at the hip as the quad and hip flexor feel quite contracted after many months of walking with a fairly significant anterior pelvic tilt.
My bootcampers all rushed to let me know how diligent they've been in my absence and they even invited me to come along and yell at them on Monday!

Hope you're all doing well too and feeling up to celebrating Christmas. And if not....well what the heck...just relax:)
 
Great report! You're stil fairly early in the recovery process, so things definitely will continue to improve for you.
 
Great update Aussie @MissMoo - isn't it wonderful to be rid of the bone on bone pain :)
 
I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from a BHR and have been going over recovery threads. Something in yours really jumps out at me.

... Anaesthetist said I woke up a couple of times during surgery but I don't remember a thing. ...

Summoning the powers of google I've discovered that "accidental awareness during general anesthesia" occurs once in every 1000 surgeries in the US. Many that experience that have to be treated for PTSD. I'm glad you couldn't remember anything.

Congratulations on the continuing successful recovery!
 
accidental awareness during general anesthesia
I woke up during my LTHR. Asked for more meds as the op was too noisy. Didn't need treatment for PTSD but can't say it was the most relaxing experience. I made sure I was fully "out" during my recent RTHR though and was SO glad I woke up in recovery with no memory of the procedure.

If you are reading this and are concerned about a spinal and how you may react, be sure and discuss this with your anaesthetist at your pre-op and on the day. They fully understand and will watch you carefully throughout the procedure.
 
Summoning the powers of google I've discovered that "accidental awareness during general anesthesia" occurs once in every 1000 surgeries in the US.

Hi @jss I didn't actually have a general anaesthetic, only light sedation and the anaesthetist said its quite common to briefly waken during surgery. I believe they generally use diazepam which causes short term amnesia, so you don't know a thing about it - very cool :)

I've been thoroughly enjoying walking without my crutches and feeling very level and strong. The last couple of days though I've had quite a lot of soreness in my leg which is fairly unpleasant. Each time I stand up to walk I'm a bit hobbly before I get going. I think I just wish I could have a sneak preview of how it will feel once I'm all healed just to give me some peace of mind, then I can go back to the business of getting there!
 
Hi @MissMoo Glad you're going so well, the "new" achiness you have seems to be pretty common. At my last OS visit it was described as stiffness at start up, it had it's own terminology so it must be pretty common :snork: I've blamed the escalation of the discomfort level on when I started to walk "properly" as instructed/insisted by my Physio... it wasn't this bad before, IS pretty sore now. Well I've been to my OS this morning, have finally had my restrictions lifted :tada: and he has said that we can really "get into" the physio now to improve range and freedom of movement, yay. I asked him why it's so much sorer now than it was at six weeks and he explained that the scar tissue that's formed (which is not just at the wound site don't forget, but "full depth" down to your hip bone!) becomes thicker/harder at about the four or five week mark, this new tougher tissue is less relenting when you ask it to do something, but it "should" get better with use... I hate it when medicos use the term "should", but now I can give the stretching a proper go I'm hopeful. He said I have some tendonitis, which I thought was from overuse so I'm going to have to work out the balance... it may be worth you looking in to that too; what the right combo of rest/exercise is:good-bad:

I'm with you.. I wish I could have a sneak preview of the "as good as it gets" me so I would know what effort is worthwhile effort! Like, I'm sure I'm sure it will get better than this, but secretly I hope it gets a LOT better than this, still at least the bone on bone pain's gone and I'm sure this tendon/muscular stuff is easier fixed than the bone on bone was!

See ya:santa hug:
Donna
 
Hey Donna @craftdee. That's such great news that you've had your restrictions lifted - you probably have a mini bucket list right now :heehee:

It's good to hear that explanation about the pain and it makes a lot of sense. The more I'm up and about the better it seems to get but when I stop and start again its miserable:blackcloud: Saturday was a huge day; at the mall Christmas shopping till around 3pm then home to prepare for Christmas party which didn't finish till around midnight. I had a fantastic time but, yeah, yesterday told me all about it!

First day back at work today. I've worked from home but still put in a full day (with the exception of a 20 minute power nap!) . It's been quite a shock to the system and I've been hankering after my sewing machine....all done with work now and I've no energy for sewing! Can't really comprehend it's Christmas in a couple of days;I've never felt less prepared.

Hope you have a super one

Clare
 
Fed up with it all today. I've taken a leap backwards in terms of flexibility and pain. Struggling to lift my foot up to put my shoe on again. Shooting pains down my leg and into my groin; a deep ache somewhere that clearly can't be my actual hip joint any more; shuffling around trying in vain to get comfortable and getting angry at the things I'm unable to do. I feel like a prisoner in my own body just now (which I know sounds very melodramatic) but I need to get back to exercising before I turn into a blimp!

I have a telephone appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday for my 6 week check up so I'm hoping he can help me feel more positive about my recovery because, right now, it sucks
 
Its still.not long and muscles and.tendons don't sort themselves so quickly. I know its frustrating but it does go

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Fed up with it all today. I've taken a leap backwards in terms of flexibility and pain. Struggling to lift my foot up to put my shoe on again. Shooting pains down my leg and into my groin; a deep ache somewhere that clearly can't be my actual hip joint any more; shuffling around trying in vain to get comfortable and getting angry at the things I'm unable to do. I feel like a prisoner in my own body just now (which I know sounds very melodramatic) but I need to get back to exercising before I turn into a blimp!

I have a telephone appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday for my 6 week check up so I'm hoping he can help me feel more positive about my recovery because, right now, it sucks
Dont be discouraged! I had and continue to have ups and downs... but mainly my 'downs' are when I do stupid things like wandering down the hill at the house (very steep) and slip in the mud... or try to stretch too much... or such. Just continue to take it easy and I'd venture a guess that you'll have way more ups than downs!
 
This recovery is a bit of a roller coaster @MissMoo Hang on there...your body has still a lot of healing to do & it's letting you know that....
It does get better......I hardly remember I had mine done now...but it's very slow & steady and up and down for some time. Are you still using a walking aid..crutch/cane.? If not perhaps using one for a while, especially if you are back to work might help.
Take care..Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I feel like a prisoner in my own body just now (which I know sounds very melodramatic) but I need to get back to exercising before I turn into a blimp!
Your body is now coping with not only recovery from major surgery but also returning to work. Give it a break and step back and see just how far you have come.

I call what you're going through the one month slump. Somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks out everyone feels like progress has slowed. It hasn't - read through your recovery thread. Things will continue to progress. Take your meds if you need them. Rest, ice and elevate when you can. Pretty soon the rest time will decrease.

BTW can you please put your surgery date in your signature? Here's a thread that tell you how: How to create a signature
 
Clare, In preparation for my BHR this week, I've read seemingly innumerable post-op threads. Yours seems to be a very common, almost universal, recovery complaint. Everyone seems to eventually get over it. I know I haven't told you anything you didn't already know. Hoping for a quick recovery from this step backwards. Good luck!
 
Sorry to hear you've taken, or feel you've taken a backward step... I know exactly how you feel; I wrote just about the same thing on my blog - remember, my cheese and "whine" party :snork:
shuffling around trying in vain to get comfortable and getting angry at the things I'm unable to do
right now, it sucks
pretty much covers it :groan:

For me it IS getting better, but to be honest much more slowly than I was expecting and certainly more slowly than I would like. Frustrating as all get out :tantrum: Like I've said before, I think it's about striking the balance... resting helps when you've become sore, but sitting about makes you stiff = sore, sigh, finding how much of each and when to do each is key; I'm sure each individual has their own unique "pattern" too, so it's just a case of persevering to find YOUR balance:good-bad:

I've got another appointment with the physio at the hospital on Friday... I'll let you know if she comes up with any magic bullets (This will be the first session with her since my restrictions were lifted, so I am hopeful that she will give me some exercises/stretches that will actually be of some use, while on restrictions you just CAN'T bend or stretch so physio's not much value!) Hope you go well with your OS appointment (albeit by 'phone) on Wednesday, and maybe if he offers you any magic bullets you can share them with me :heehee:

So, in short, all I can offer at this point is understanding at the frustration, empathy... and a hug:console2:

Happy New Year, btw :cheers:
Donna
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom