Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw physio on Friday. Now panicking I may have illiopsoas impingement although he did tell me to try not to worry too much at this stage. OS really didn't say anything except 'take it easy' . He wants x-rays in 2 months time but that's it.

Feel like I'd rather go and get xrays right now if this can be identified rather than sit around waiting. Such a dilemma. Had anyone else experienced this issue?
 
Hi Clare @MissMoo Oh Yup, I've had this problem... actually it's been one of my "big whinges" on my thread for months! My OS also told me not to panic, that it "may" resolve itself within 12 months and that they could do a tendon release operation (arthroscopically) at that time - in fact would NOT do it until then as .... it may resolve itself within blah blah. To be fair, when he was giving me this information it did sound very much like the vast majority of cases do resolve in that time. Though I'd acknowledge that when you're THAT uncomfortable 12 months sounds like a life sentence :yikes:

I'm working with a Physio who's given me some good stretches, very specific to the injury (quad stretches help too) it is somewhat of a tendonitis problem so rest helps - so the stretches (they're NOT exercises, they just made it worse!) have to be balanced against rest, which is also important = Physio involvement.

I was offered anti inflammatories, but I had the op to get OFF them so have avoided them thus far. I was also told that if it became "intolerable" I could have ultrasound guided steroid injections into the tendon; not rushing to those either, steroids have a strong link to AVN and since that's what got me here in the first place... :scaredycat: but that shouldn't be a factor in your thinking! I thought it was worth trying the simplest solution first, so stretches are IT :curtsey: and mine IS getting better - it's not right yet, but it is a LOT better than it was a month ago... I do mean A LOT. I have hamstring/gluteus medius issues still, sigh, that are probably linked - tendiopathy again so curses to all that exercise! If I can have the improvement in the next month with them that I've had with the psoas I'll be happy... of course if BOTH lots would just "go away" I'd be A LOT happier still:eyebrows:

So, short message is "now is not the time to panic", slightly longer message is; I know JUST how uncomfortable this tiny little tendon can make you and hope you get resolution, but want to assure you it's not a "serious" problem/issue and isn't even considered a complication of the surgery.

Hope you feel better

Donna :wave:
 
Thanks Donna @craftdee. Well I decided to pull my head out my butt yesterday, this 'taking it easy' I'm taking too literally and I think its doing me more harm than good. As a colleague said to me yesterday, if you were a couch potato before surgery, then taking it easy post-surgery means continuing to be a couch potato. However, you were not a couch potato you were a full-on fit freak and it makes sense that 'taking it easy' right now probably means doing about 30% of what you were doing before. The only guidelines my physio gave me were 'in a nutshell this tendon is not happy, make sure you don't do anything that angers it further' (gotta love Australia :heehee:). So I wrote down a plan:

5 minutes spin-bike (will increase a minute each day)
3 sets of 10 for each of my stretch exercises for posterior chain and hip flexors
5 minute abs
10 pull ups (assisted)

Got home, cranked up some music, spent about 25 minutes all up in the gym and felt absolutely brilliant. I would even go so far as to say that my hip feels less painful this morning and didn't bother me at all through the night (a fact I'm very much aware of as I slept horribly otherwise!)

Provided I'm not too tired tonight I'm also going to don the dobok and head to taekwondo (we need a martial arts emoticon) for a light training session. Time to stop putting myself in the 'can't do' corner and jump onto the 'can do' bus!

P.S. Thanks to whoever took the harmless fun out of this post
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good Clare @MissMoo ... pretty much is a "horses for courses" situation; you've got to find out what works for YOU. I've found that there's really only a few things to AVOID, so it's more a case of finding out what DOESN'T work for you :heehee: The program you've listed doesn't sound like it should irritate the psoas :rotfl: Your upper body stuff is excellent.. makes you feel invigorated without involving the little terror, don't overdo the posterior chain stretches or you'll be in the tendinopathy team with me... and it's a pain in the butt :loll:(I actually took Mobic yesterday, I just got to "that" stage, sad after swearing I'd never use them again once I had the hip replaced... never say never is the lesson here:umm:) I agree though, getting back to your "real" life and away from the recovering-from-a-hip-replacement life is a step that needs doing sooner or later... sooner for some :wink:

A word to the wise on the spin bike; I don't know if you've used it yet, you're advised to have no resistance set for the first couple of sessions - don't believe "them" :no-fin: if you're used to using a spin bike (sounds like you are!) I advise adding at least a little resistance... speaking from experience ! First time up I had no resistance on and got going at a good pace - TOO good, it felt really out of control and my leg was flying around with me desperately trying to keep up, slow down and protect my hip - hilarious in retrospect (actually pretty funny as soon as I got control back :snork:) but best avoided methinks

Have fun in the gym... get some pool work in if you can; I've found it brilliant... non weight bearing so less likely to overuse the tendons

Donna :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @craftdee . I'm only doing the posterior chain work that the physio advised...no loading at the moment! Totally with you on the spin bike stuff. Everything I read said low/no resistance, but that's counter-productive because the stresses of no resistance (having that flywheel drag your legs around like a ragdoll!) are actually more dramatic than cranking up just enough to make the up and down strokes smooth and balanced. Anyhoo, I really enjoyed it - was nice to sweat a little bit. I really should get to the pool..but I do hate the pool:groan:. All that grossness of other people's hair on the floor and band aids floating in the water:eeeuw:. You're very lucky to have your own pool :) is all I can say
 
Got home, cranked up some music, spent about 25 minutes all up in the gym and felt absolutely brilliant. I would even go so far as to say that my hip feels less painful this morning and didn't bother me at all through the night (a fact I'm very much aware of as I slept horribly otherwise!)

I KNOW that had to feel good. Congratulations on getting to that point!

Ditto. Hate swimming through a huge blob of hair.
 
"Eeeew" is right!! I guess I am lucky to have my own pool... we had one for years, pulled it out twelve years ago to put in a spa and fish pond - more work than they were worth, put the new one in in Feb last year.. it was during installation that I fell into it (I've installed hundreds of pools with hubby in the first years of our business, but that was 21 years ago... I was a lot younger and a lot more flexible, read "less arthritic":yikes:), ending up in hospital, XRay query fracture, CT Scan showing "unusual arthropathy" MRI, discovered extent of AVN... what you need is that THR we were going to leave for a few years; and on the sorry saga goes :rotfl:

It was a bit embarrassing to be in the industry and have clients ask what type of pool we had and have the answer as "none"... but that's not why we replaced it; I missed it and the technology is so good now re filtration/chlorination. We have a fully automatic salt water pool... the system tests, runs the pump at the speed and for the time to make the appropriate amount of chlorine and adds the appropriate amount of acid to keep the pH perfect; the pump's super quiet and cost effective to run... all things the last pool didn't do or have and reasons the last pool met it's end:rotfl:

I've got to say after falling in this one (it WAS half full, luckily... 120 cm down to water is better than 180cm down to hard ground!) did make me wonder if it was a good idea - I am glad we persevered, we're spending a day (paying labourers and all!) to (hopefully) finish the hard landscaping around it tomorrow. Then it's just plants and a lot of laying on sunlounges I hope, oh and the swimming of course :cool:
 
My physio just gave me pause for thought yesterday, I should probably have asked him this question but it didn't occur to me until after I'd left. Also I was reading @shugaplum 's recovery thread and it got me wondering. How do I know what my hip's full range of motion actually is. i.e. when it mechanically can go no further. RoM (in abduction) was severely restricted before surgery and I now have the business of getting my hips mobilised again. But, for example, if I'm trying to get into a full split will I be able to feel when it is no longer my muscles etc., restricting me but that I've reached the full RoM of the implant itself?
 
Funny you should mention this Clare @MissMoo I HAD the conversation with my Physio on Friday... I was saying I can't do the pretzel stretch she has recommended for the tendinintis in the glutes as I can't lay the leg out (I can now get my ankle of the operated leg up on to my other knee, but the "number 4 still eludes me :cry:) She told me I may never get full Range of Motion back :boohoo:Like you my ROM was severely compromised pre op, I'n now working towards getting THAT level of ROM back, 'she said "if it hurt as opposed to being uncomfortable" that's as far as it's going to go for the time being, but that it may increase over time so keep trying; the "window" is about 12 months, what you've got at 12 months is about it.

I was quite disappointed when I heard that :bawl: I really did believe the "... and get your range of movement back" part of the pre op spiel, I'm more at peace with it now, I'm trying to be pragmatic; I've got nearly as much range as immediately pre op without it hurting and can see that I'll probably get to that level ROM pain free - and hope to increase it to closer to my former (before OA took it away) range within the 12 months. It's a bit disconcerting to hear that you have to make a judgement call over what is "pain" and what is "uncomfortable" then STOP, I had Posterior so I do have to factor in dislocation for a while yet ("don't ask too much of it until at least six months out, it's the same as a natural hip at two years") I'd hate to find out the prosthetic's limitations by dislocating.... though to be honest I'm still having so much tendon and muscular discomfort I can't see me "overdoing" it any time soon anyway :rotfl:

Keep us posted if you get any answers

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
@MissMoo, this is interesting. I want to be able to sit on the floor with a yoga cross leg poise, and get up off the floor unassiste. Do you think that will be possible? I have just lost sight of what my ROM was several years ago. I know I used to do it but I haven't even tried in maybe 8-9 years. If I've only have 12 months to get to my full potential then I am going to stretch my hips (BLHR) to the brink.
I can still cross my legs at the knee, but not high enough to tie my shoe without pain.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @catdemar.
I can sit with regular crossed legs but I've never had the internal rotation to be able to sit like this

[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!


However, I used to be able to do this
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!

and I hope to be able to do so again in the not too distant future. At the moment my knees still hover a little way off the floor and I'm having to be very patient but I don't see any reason why I won't get back there.

My RoM toward a side split currently is something like this (which isn't great)
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!

and that's where I'm really hoping for some major improvement and wondering how I will know when I've gone as far as I can and I'm no long stretching tendon and muscle, I'm bashing femoral neck implant against acetabular shell!

I don't see any reason that you won't be getting up off the floor unassisted quite quickly though:wink:
 
@MissMoo, wow I am finding all kinds do Heroes on this sight. Being able to do the pose from hour I set would be more in what I'm looking for. Dang to cross legged on the floor with knees up would be nice now. :)
I admire your workout routine. I used to LOVE the gym and hiking. But for several years just slowed it down to a crawl. I'm trying to get back a bit more now to prepare for surgery but looking forward to the intense stretching and mobility to come. Keep me posted on your mile stones.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@craftdee Hi there - read your post about your swimming pool with interest. What a way to do your hip in! If it was not so serious I would say it sounds like Charlie Chaplin!

How soon after hip op were you able to get back to swimming? I miss it so much. I never do breast stroke just crawl. I was told 4 weeks after op, now 8 weeks after op. What is your experience?

Thanks
Karen
 
Trekking poles are a lot less supportive and stable than crutches. You may be able to graduate to them, but most people need the support of a walker or crutches in the early days after THR and then transition to a single crutch or cane.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @copsham Yeah, we refer to our pool as "the scene of the crime" :rotfl: To be fair we did know the condition of my hip was "terminal" we just didn't know about the AVN... and how extensive it was. Considering the joint had started to collapse, I hadn't felt the deterioration so if not for the fall would probably have gone on until the joint completely collapsed; as the OS defined it already as a "technically challenging" op I am grateful to the pool-fall as it would have been MUCH worse if I'd waited :tada:

...and I've forgiven it as it's been such a boon during my THR recovery - and for my general fitness :swim: I started swimming at about three or four weeks; as soon as the wound has COMPLETELY healed (no sign of a scab) you're good to go. I would check with your OS for confirmation, but I would see no reason GENERALLY why you couldn't swim once you have no open wound/infection risk I was offered hydrotherapy at my six week check up - as standard protocol. I find it STILL the best place for discomfort free movement, and my frog kick is KILLER now I don't have the bone on bone pain in the hip :yes!:
 
Hi @craftdee
Thanks for reply re swimming. I swum right up to my hip op, doing the crawl. For some reason it was one of the few movements that my hip could still make. I am dying to get back to that feeling of cutting through the water and feeling "normal". I have been doing hydrotherapy which is great but it just tantalises me, reminding me of the joys of swimming mmmmm .... can almost feel it. One physio said wait til 4 weeks which it is now. Another said 8 weeks saying "you don't want to over do it" So I think I will wait until I see the OS at six weeks as the last thing I want to do is make it worse.

On a different note I find it amazing to think of the way Bonesmarties are spread around the world. Some are talking about the warmth of the desert and others about the deep snow. Then there is the image of you in your outdoor pool. All quite fascinating. Thanks again and love your swimming emoticon!!
 
Hi @copsham... yup, we put the "Australian" in the "Australian Crawl" :rotfl: It's my favourite stroke, like you said that feeling of cutting through the water... just can't beat it (some people on BoneSmart describe their running as giving them that feeling, all I can say is that as a runner I make a good swimmer :loll:)

I didn't love the hydrotherapy that much, too much "therapy" not enough "hydro"?? I like my water to be fresher than the hydropool too (temperature wise, not germ wise, though......:sick:) If it was cold outside I would have found it GREAT, but I just found that doing freestyle (crawl) was enough, there's completely NO stress on my joints... as I've said before it's the first and still really the only place I don't feel discomfort from THAT tendinitis. I couldn't do breastroke properly for a while pre op, very restricted movement on one side means you're either compensating like crazy with your good side, or your going in circles :heehee: Now I can get a good even kick, lacks a bit in strength but I'm prepared to take my time to rebuild my glute strength in the hope it doesn't aggravate the tendons.

I spent some time sealing the sandstone around our pool the other day... it took me about 5 hours to pressure clean then apply the sealer, two coats "recoat when first coat is dry, 1 - 4 hours depending on weather" try 20 minutes!!! It's a HOT summer, cooler today, but it's been high 30's (Celcius) for weeks, and I picked an over 40 day to do the sealing... lucky I just jumped straight in the pool when I finished, not meaning to make you jealous BUT... it was FABULOUS. Hope you're back in the mainstream (see what I did there? :heehee:) soon.

By the By, I lived in Bedforshire (Leighton Buzzard) from 1961 to 1966, when we moved to Wales to be nearer to my Dad's family - gritted our teeth until Grandad died which is when Mum and Dad decided "enough of the drizzle already" and emigrated about as far from them as we could:rotfl: I'm very happy they made that decision, they loved it from Day 1 and even though I was 13 when we came here I am Australian I feel the same fascination as you, that we are to some extent all sharing an experience (THR) in very different conditions; my son went on a skiing holiday in New Zealand and rang us specifically to tell us that, surprise, snow is WET. As an Australian he had no experience of snow, knew that it was cold but had never thought about it being wet :rotfl:

Happy Healing
Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @craftdee,
I wish I were somewhere warm now. Its been chilly, drizzling and misty here for three days now, just had about 20 mins of sun this afternoon which seemed exciting! Picture you in the pool 30 -40 degrees - luxury. I am impressed with the work you did on your pool. The most I have done recently is bake a cake but then I am only 4 weeks post op!

I went to hydrotherapy this morning - unfortunately a different therapist. Usually I am gently stretched and comfortable with it and leave the session feeling very good. This time with new therapist, I was encouraged to do more. As it was in the water I could not tell it was too much for me and now my leg n hip is sore, throbbing and aching. I could do without it!

Someone else in the pool was being encouraged to do exercises that were very painful for him and the therapist said "no pain no gain !" just the opposite of the Bonesmart ideas (which work!). I told him about Bonesmart - so hope he looks it up.

The years that you lived in Leighton Buzzard were the years I lived in Aylesbury, just a few miles away from you. Also the years of the Great Train Robbery very near Leighton Buzzard. Who would have believed that we could be communicating through something called the internet 40+ yrs later about Hip Replacements. Amazing.

I love your sons comments about the snow. We all have such different experiences around the globe.
How is your tendonitis and stretching going, any improvement?
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom