Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MissMoo - gosh, you are so hardcore, and I mean that in a good way :) !
I get tired just reading all you do and I havn't had my surgery yet. But I think you are pushing
it too hard, it's been less that 4 months....
 
Hey @MissMoo ....appt didnt go great. I knocked my left implant crooked...I'm not sure if it was sparring or if it was the stretching..or a combination. They said that the soft tissue will adapt and there is no need to go in and 'right' it... but I just have to be careful. I also tore a muscle at the surgery site on my left. Soooo... I am on restriction. No contact..no sparring...no bag work...only 'light' stretching...no running, no jumping... 3 months. I guess I need to take up Bingo now. Quite upset over this setback. :-(
 
Oh @rob3dr that's rotten news, I'm really sorry to hear that..gutted for you! Still, maybe this is your opportunity to build an Arnie-style upper body :). Seriously, I really appreciate you're upset and frustrated.:headbang::gaah:

I've been having acupuncture which, so far, is amazing. The guy treating me is a Chinese medicine specialist-type guy and he's also a martial artist, so he has a good understanding of where I'm at. Stayed away from sparring for a couple of weeks so putting myself through a week of 'normal' training will give me an idea of how well its really working. Might temper it all just a bit, taking your setback as a cautionary tale.

Stay positive, find something else you can work on in the meantime, and you'll be back before you know it.
 
Thanks for the encouragement @MissMoo . It's really been tough... I'm still going to class, but not able to do what I want and work out like I want... put on 6lbs since surgery..haha... so I need to do something. I'm hoping for a clean report in a few months and can get back at it. Progress was good and I was getting kicks near head level... but when that happened, it was like I took a month step back in what I could do.
Good news though... I can get back on the motorcycles now... took both bikes out for a ride. First time I'd been able to do that since last year!!!
 
@rob3dr .... Rob, it would be much better to put updates such as this in your own recovery thread. That way we can more easily keep track of your journey and you don't risk getting MissMoo's thread off the topic of her own recovery. :)
 
So I'm 5 months out of surgery now and still struggling with ups and downs. My acupuncture sessions had been fabulous in getting rid of this odd radiating pain down my leg but this week its back with a vengeance. Did some running last Friday but not a lot and on springy grass as advised by my OS. Spent part of Sunday reorganising stuff under the house then, while doing squats (body weight only) on Monday I started to feel an odd pain at the top of my thigh, towards the groin area. It seemed to ease off and I didn't think much more of it. Did taekwondo class as usual on Tuesday evening and its just got progressively worse until today. Currently, my butt feels tight, I have a throbbing pain in my thigh and a radiating nerve-type pain all the way down my calf and into my foot. When I raise my leg from a seated position I get a deeper pain at the top of my thigh. Walking I can do, although it feels weird and the tingling into my foot is very apparent. I think the symptoms do continue to point to muscular issues, probably what you'll all tell me is 'doing too much' but with recent events I now have a 'loose implant' paranoia. Considering a trip to the hospital for an x-ray just to put my mind at rest.

My 3-month x-rays looked great according to my OS and I'm waiting for him to give me a call this afternoon so that I can mention my current symptoms to him. I don't mind if I'm just pushing too hard and I've just got some muscular issues; I'm ALWAYS pushing too hard so I can cope with that :snork:, I just don't want anything to be broken.:groan:although my tentative self-diagnosis is currently trochanteric bursitis
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I will be interested in your surgeon's opinion @MissMoo - do hope all is ok :)
 
Hi Clare @MissMoo Nice to "hear" from you... sorry that you're still having some problems. Seriously doubt it's a hardware issue, sounds distinctly muscular to me - and you know I AM the expert :rotfl: I know you're thinking "trochanteric bursitis" but it sounds an awful lot like "my" Piriformis Syndrome. I joke on here regularly about my "tight buns" but to be honest, they're no joke :boohoo: more a pain in the bum than anything else :snork:

It seemed to "congeal" from hamstring/glutes issues to Piriformis Syndrome... and I can't help but feel that's so the physio can be justified in not being able to resolve it, as it's "such a difficult thing to treat"! The one thing that really made her ears pick up (and the first time she really seemed certain in that diagnosis) is when I told her about the tingling down my leg and the tingling/numb foot- it coupled with the other symptoms seemed to decide her, boo hoo. It combines, when it's being particularly heinous, with some IT band issues, feels like my whole hindquarter sometimes... and sometimes it's not so bad, so like you I'd call it "ups and downs".... I had four days straight that were gooood, then I went and spoiled it all by something stupid like "I'm better", fa la la

I just read one of your earlier posts, I see you are having issues with abduction/outward rotation... I still have probs with making that "Number 4" too :wink:... the leg just will NOT lay outwards - so the "resparking in the boudoir" I was hoping for is more of a slow burn at this point - can but hope for improvement I s'pose.

Anyways, hope life is treating you generally well - it's no good telling you to 'take it easy', and if I'm anything to go by its a) too late, damage done b) taking it easy only works while you are actually taking it easy... minute you try to get back to your "normal" level of whateva the ol' tingly footed tight as a drum leg and bum syndrome reminds you it was just waiting for you to see sense and not actually looking for a new home in someone else's nether regions:cool:

See ya
Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Hey @craftdee - great to hear from you :wave:Well I got myself worked up into such a stress over the weekend that I couldn't sleep Sunday night, so I took myself down to Emergency yesterday to have it x-rayed. Needless to say it was all ok in terms of bones and hardware:ok: (Lordy talk about overreacting!!). So I got a call from my OS this morning to check how I was doing...I felt a little silly actually. But, at least I got to talk some stuff through with him. He suggested that this could be related to my lower back which, generically, would make sense in terms of the neuralgic-type pain except that I have no localised issues with my lower back. He suggested going for an MRI on my back and then letting him have a look at it - but I don't know if I'm going to do that just yet:umm:. Presumably with Piriformis Syndrome, you feel very, very sore through the piriformis itself. While I do have some tightness there its not especially bad and the main place I feel constant squeezing and pressure is right around the top of my leg, as if I have a resistance band tied around it! This is why I was leaning away from blaming the piriformis for my issues. I've got more acupuncture lined up for tomorrow so, now that I've stopped panicking, I'll continue with that and see how it goes. So, ups and downs it is; yesterday's hospital trip at least clarified for me that it's less the pain and more the 'not knowing' that unsettles me. When they told me all was fine and asked did I want some stronger painkillers, I just said 'no thank you, its nothing I can't deal with' and left (moderately) happily.

One other thing my OS chatted with me about was range of motion and that it's fine just to keep gently pushing it further provided its not to the point of pain - which was reassuring (just need to remember that rule in the throes of passion :rotfl:) . So maybe we'll knock out that No.4 yet!!

You're right, taking it easy might be 'a' solution but its not a happy solution and it doesn't seem to have any longevity in my lifestyle. Even if I lay off the 'planned exercise' I'll still manage to come to grief doing something routine and necessary...like rotating the tyres on my baby (see pic) which I did on Sunday - and those things are HEAVY!! And there's still a couple of tonnes of dirt that needs moving out of our backyard:whistle: Oh and I have a taekwondo grading on Friday...it's just as well I'm not after sympathy huh :heehee:

Take care Donna - stay cool :cool:

Clare
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!
    Topless Bee.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 215
Hi again Clare @MissMoo just thought I'd pop back in and say I'm genuinely glad that your trip to Emergency has at least settled your mind a little, shame it didn't rain down practical solutions too, but peace of mind is a valuable thing.... and I like your "baby", way cool :driver:

Hubby and I both have 4WDs ... not true really, I got my new car last September, it's a pretend 4WD... an AWD (my son, who's Landcruiser through and through just about spits every time he says the name "Sorento", lol) hubby's is the real deal though... and we've reached the point where we "have a chap" that does stuff like rotating the wheels - did it last Tuesday as it happens :)

I never thought we'd reach this point; we have both done VERY heavy work, hubby for most of his life - which is why his back is cactus probably :snork: and felt we'd always be "able" to do it. When we started this business we installed fibreglass pools, I was hubby's labourer and we had no machinery (the holes were dug for us but we had to "trim" them, install the pool, dig the plumbing in and backfill the pool by hand - well with shovels :rotfl:) We did two summers like that, employed a separate team the second summer and then bought a mini bobcat to help us - our "guys" got stuck with shovels :loll:

Basically did that until we couldn't do it any more, invested in an mini excavator in 2000 and started doing the excavations instead... still hard work but WAY easier on the body than installing... you probably won't believe this but in our heyday we installed 3 pools a DAY during summer (actually averaged 12 a week, so not 3 every day) The last year we installed, we did over 520 pools... though that was between us and our B Team (in joke!... us being the A Team) If only it had paid well we'd be millionaires :rotfl:

Anyway, I digress:heehee: I don't want to get back to THAT level of ability, don't even feel the need to change light truck tyres... unlike some I could mention... BUT would like to do more of my day to day without discomfort - just call me greedy :snork: I've worked out that you can and in fact have to "push" a bit for the ROM, after nearly seven months I'm more confident that the things not going to fall out, - again, it would seem, not like some I could mention MissMoo!! - so I do "push" and it is improving.

I can't help thinking that the slightly different location of our discomfort could relate to the different approaches we had for surgery... you had Anterior and your thigh hurts, I had Posterior and (now the psoas has settled, not perfect but heaps better) the pain is more towards the back :shrug: I actually am not convinced it's piriformis syndrome... I do have lower back issues (DDD - like so many of my, ummm, age!) so it could be coming from that - though I've had the lower back pain for years and it didn't used to go right down my leg so who knows. I've caved to my husband's suggestion and am organizing an appointment with a chiropractor this week... they do acupuncture (well dry needling, nearly the same) and trigger point massage as well as the "manipulations" I have denigrated for so long... so we'll see. Like I said in someone else's thread; I'm torn between wanting it to work (for obvious reasons) and NOT wanting it to work as the "I told you so" will be ringing in my ears for-eva!! Hubby's not averse to rubbing it in... then again, neither am I - and I have more wins so I'll have to suck it up:rofsign:

Good luck with moving the dirt in your backyard, we moved literllay tonnes of the stuff last year when we put in our pool (replaced the spa/pond that had replaced the last pool in 2002!!) and with your Taekwondo grading too, I'm sure you don't want sympathy really... I know I don't, much prefer the solution :cool:

Be good (or not, lucky duck!) Donna :wave:
 
Funny how I only think to check in here when there's anything to report. I should be hanging around more often to offer some words of wisdom, but I'm not sure I have too many.

So, not a peep out of me since April it would seem....I guess things have been going pretty well. Yes, they have! The garden is completely transformed and flourishing with a huge new veggie patch waiting to be planted. I've graduated to Cho Dan Bo (provisional black belt) in Taekwondo and have set new PBs in the gym with my back squat and deadlift. My mobility is wonderful and I'm very close to a front split but a side split still seems a million miles away....which brings me to my weird thing. I'm currently doing a warmup routine which involves a deep squat, toes in hands and chest wide; at which point my hip makes a bizarre squelching feeling (I feel like I can hear it but I don't think I really can). It doesn't hurt at all but it does lead me to wonder what's going on in there. Is that the implant going beyond its range of motion and the head being sucked out of the acetabulum??
 
Splits, deep squats, and a dead lift PR? Congratulations on the outstanding recovery! As such stories give inspiration and hope to those that aren't as far along, I'm so glad that you shared.

I don't know the answer to your question, but as I do a lot of squats, I've also wondered what would happen if the new hip flexed so far that the femoral neck impacted the cup.
 
If it was, you'd be knowing it! But I think that, at over 9 months, you can do pretty much anything you feel capable of doing. Enjoy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom