THR I'm on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @copsham don't let those therapists bully you into doing anything that hurts and I thought the philosophy of "no pain no gain " fell out of favour years ago.I see you live in Buckinghamshire.We lived there for 10 years until we moved back to my native north east.We lived in High Wycombe, Stokenchurch and finally Haddenham near Aylesbury.My sister in law still lives in Long Crendon.I hope your recovery is going well.
 
Hi Kim,
We have just moved out from London, stayed in Aylesbury temporarily and have now moved in to our permanent abode in Whiteleaf near Princes Risborough. So not far from where you were. It takes some getting used to living out of London and that combined with my hip getting worse and worse, followed by surgery, wow its been quite a year BUT your recent grandchild and chest infection - life is not easy.
 
@copsham I am sure you will love living there once you get used to the peace and quiet of the countryside.Princes Risborough is sure to have a thriving community but of course it will take some adjustments if you are used to city life and London is very full on.We also visited Thame a lot and still do when we visit the family as it has a good market and plenty of good shops and restaurants.You have packed a lot into the past year but won't it be lovely spending this summer living in the Chilterns with a new hip as it is great walking country.
 
Thank you Kim you are so right!
 
Hi @MissMoo
Sorry to have been hijacking your thread - just got carried away with the previous posts. Hope all is well with your exercise plan sounds brilliant. Mine is a lot slower but just can't wait for the six weeks to be up and back to swimming! That is something that will make me feel normal.
Karen
 
Hello! I figured I would share my perspective on the range of motion question. I have a large diameter head on my implant to allow extra range, but I do have some limitations. I just seem to know that it's the hip, it feels different than a muscle tightness. I have a great range, I actually went for some conditioning pt to gain back a little strength and the pt was really pumped to get to play with my hip again! Haha. But I do have an end point to my movement. I just try to take it a little at a time and listen to the hip. I will also say that although I had great range from the start, five years post op It is still improving as scar tissue continues to break down. I can do things now that I couldn't do a few years ago!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for your message @shugaplum - that's really helpful. I haven't had a face to face follow-up with my surgeon and he doesn't seem in any rush to have one either (I'm about 3 hours away from him so he's probably trying to be kind), but it means I've not yet had the opportunity to grill him on what the likely RoM restriction will be with the hardware he put in. I'm getting along fairly well, oddly I've found that my hip is much tighter on my non-op side too at the moment, but at least I'm symmetrical huh!

An example of something that find particularly difficult at the moment is the lizard pose in yoga
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!
but it does seem as if its only muscles, rather than the limitation of the joint, so its good to hear that you are able to 'feel' a difference. Hopefully I will too when I get there - I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to help!! I definitely think that pose is do-able... I found I had weird tightness in various places as I healed just from my gait normalizing, etc. It will get there!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Clare, as of your last update you'd had a setback or two. But from some of these pretzel like yoga poses you're posting to be either able or almost able to get into, I'm assuming that you're back on track?
 
Hi @jss . Yes, so a bit of a general update. Back at taekwondo 3 times a week now and doing some fantastic conditioning work with my master, including being upside down a lot! Back to running bootcamp (and back to doing some running, although only on grass - but boy does it feel good:yes:). Also doing a lot more yoga (some Yin and some Power) to get everything more mobile. My ?tendinitis is really settling down and its fairly difficult to irritate it in the normal course of events. Muscles still noticeably tight and the whole area still aches while I'm sitting at my desk or driving but it's nice to have only aches and pains that are manageable with paracetamol :yay: I call this progress.

I had a really interesting discussion with guy who had a hip replacement a couple of years ago and returned to yoga following that. He talks about always playing the 'edge', finding the boundary where resistance/discomfort meet pain and never overstepping it. But, in so doing, that 'edge' will gradually recede. I've been trying to follow this practise as it makes total sense. So, for now, I have a workable balance.

I've got to head off for x-rays today, for my 3 month check. I suspect I'd know if anything was gravely amiss, but it will be nice to hear its all still where it should be and I haven't broken it all in any way :heehee:

How are you travelling? I don't think you have a recovery thread do you, so it would be good to have your update too
 
You're right Clare. Thanks. I just updated my thread in the pre-op area.
 
Dear Diary

So, from odd stabbing pains last week, possible nerve regeneration pain(?) I went on to shifting about half a tonne of hardcore out of our backyard last weekend and felt nothing more than very happily aching glutes the next day. Those sharp, take-your-breath-away, pains left as quickly as they arrived.

Felt well enough to start back to sparring class this week and, boy, was it good. Two classes back to back and only my aerobic stamina complaining at the end of it (oh and my grumbly ,grindy knees, but I don't listen to them, they're attention seekers:heehee:)

I really need to figure out what I'm doing wrong now that my RoM seems stuck in the one place. I'm trying to do a range of stretching, learning lots more about PNF and also making the effort to incorporate dynamic stretching into all my taekwondo warm-ups. I think I could use a 'stretch coach' at the moment, probably more to motivate me to get at it a couple of times a day which is what I need if I'm going to make decent progress and not be stuck with this rubbish abduction range..on both sides!! Just sent x-rays off to my surgeon (belated 12 week follow up) with a request for details of my expected range of motion.

So, where am I at:
Tendinitis - mild but present
RoM - Generally good but no improvement (that I can feel) in the last 6 weeks
Walking/running - pain-free
Other - occasional niggly pain radiating down my leg which I'm putting down to a muscle tightness somewhere...oh and 3 extra kg I don't need to be lugging around:hissy:
 
@MissMoo Been out for a bit, but good to see you are getting back to class and doing things you want!!! Be careful with class.... here is a copy/paste from a post I just did on another persons post regarding the same.....

I can speak to this one well! One and a half years ago, I could do full splits... front or side... 24 years of martial arts. By the time I had surgery, I could barely put my shoes on.
not yet 4 months out of surgery, here is where I am at...
Forward flexibility is no problem. I can pop out a front kick over my head level. I'm 6ft on the dot. Left leg is a little harder, but I can do it. Sideways flexibility... I can pop a kick out with either leg at waist level with hard contact... I can go to chin level, but any amount of contact hurts.... it doesnt hurt my hips, it hurts my legs... it feels like all my muscles in my legs are a tangled mess of pasta and they all scream when I try to go higher and make any amount of contact. I suppose all is still healing. I did a little too much last Monday and I've done 'something' to my left side. I have a 'divot' in my hip where there used to be muscle and it burns.. I fear I may have torn something.. it's at the bottom part of my surgery scar. I have an appt for next Friday to get it checked. My fault... I was braced against a wall with my leg out to the side and had someone lift it up to stretch.. I got at my head level with both legs and on the third set of stretching, something happened.
 
Dear Diary

While I've had a brilliant weekend getting my Jeep ready for our Easter trip my hip is about as crappy as ever. I fell at Taekwondo on Tuesday evening, slid in for a side-kick in a sparring training session and failed to land it, smacked straight to the floor on my operated hip. Seemed absolutely fine after, so I'm loathe to attribute any of the pain I've got now to that. However (god why do I feel so ridiculous typing this when I've read others' slightly embarrassed posts and thought to myself "shoot there's no need to be embarrassed about that"), engaged in some bedroom activity on Saturday and I'm just so bloody inflexible on BOTH sides, hips just don't want to abduct, and then afterwards my op leg just hurt and hurt and hurt....and it hasn't really stopped.

Pain beneath the scar area, it really does feel as if its the hip, although I don't see how it can be, a deep pounding ache all the way down my thigh, knee feels wobbly, struggling to stand on one leg, tingling down my calf and into my foot, pinching in my butt too, but that's only really a secondary consideration. I've taken paracetamol and ibuprofen this morning, but they've not really done much to help. Rubbish rubbish rubbish:gaah::tantrum2::headbang::tantrum::hissy::hairpulling:....rubbish
 
@MissMoo you don't think you've fractured your femur where the implant is do you? From landing on it during the kick... Is it more muscle pain? You've gotten on with your life, but sometimes "stuff" happens. If you think you need medical attention, give in and get it! Hope it all turns out ok though.:fingersx:
 
Hi @texasvet - I really didn't think it had anything to do with the fall (although my entire life flashed before my eyes as I hit the deck), because this flared up days later. I only mentioned it to remind myself that it was vaguely in the mix. I've never have a fractured or broken bone, its not possible that it could take days before it hurt is it?..I just don't know:shrug:

I am inclined to think its muscular something or other causing nerve impingement somewhere or other. I was describing it to a colleague earlier and its rather like having had someone very heavy sitting on your lap for too long; the thigh/hip/bum hurts like heck and the foot is on the point of 'going to sleep'.

Considered calling and leaving a message for my surgeon - see if he thinks its worth doing anything more. Not really inclined to go to my GP at this stage...they just charge for the privilege of telling you they don't know what's wrong and that you should go see someone else:skep:

Oh poo
 
@MissMoo I have an appt for next Friday to get it checked. My fault... I was braced against a wall with my leg out to the side and had someone lift it up to stretch.. I got at my head level with both legs and on the third set of stretching, something happened.

Hey @rob3dr - how did your appointment go? That "something happened" feeling - I know it well!
 
@MissMoo does icing and elevating your op leg ease the pain you are having? Sounds like that hip is not liking your increased activity. Rest, ice and elevate and see if things settle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom