Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very active too Lisa. I exercised regularly, tried to eat well, and I have a very active job (flight attendant). The pain took a lot from me as it has many others. I am looking forward to being active active again, although at this point I would be happy to just be able to walk my dog and do my job without pain. :)
 
Today PT did some deep tissue massage to help with the swelling I have been dealing with for 2 weeks. She also taped my hip. It seems to be helping with the swelling, not as bad tonight!!
 
What do you mean she tapped your hip? My pt did some soft tissue work too. Can't believe how much better it makes things feel. I'm still kinda cranky because my leg and hip ache...So tired of it. Boo.
 
calikat I was having swelling on the incision and the only way I can explain how it looks like one of those downey dryer bars or a bar of gold, LOL!!. It would swell every night and it would get about 2- 2 1/2 inches high, and after icing it every night it would go down by morning. This morning it didn't go down. So she massaged it and then applied 2 strips of tape across the incision and then one down the length. It's suppose to help the lymph system absorb the swelling. I''m not having pain, but it does cause limited ROM.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side now!
    photo (1).JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 194
Oh she "taped" it. LOL. I was wondering what it meant to "tap" a hip. :spin: my bad. Yes taping can really help with pain and swelling.
 
Tried putting my blue jeans on for the first time after my surgery..........My hip is still swollen some, Needless to say, my jeans don't fit! I guess I shouldn't torture myself!!! I just hope this "Marilyn Monroe" hip isn't permanent! :hissy:
 
Are you icing your hip regularly? Yes that swelling will eventually disappear and as you get more active you may even loose weight. I lost a stone (14 lbs) and was not even trying post-op. Don't worry - you'll get in those jeans again!
 
Jaycey most of my icing is at night and after PT. I still have a long lump under my incision and my PT taped it to help the swelling go down. It's working slowly. After two days there was a big difference.

Should I still be icing more than I am?

Last year after my LTKR I gain a good amount of weight, and I didn't want to have this happen after this surgery, so I have been watching what I eat very carefully. I know once I get more active again any excess weight will drop off.
 
Ice whenever you can - day and night. It's natural pain relief! I had 6 ice packs in the freezer and just rotated them.
 
I hear you Sunset! I have not even tried to put on anything but stretchy lounge type pants. Everything was so tight around my upper thigh and hip on the operated side...even my loose clothing. The swelling has gone down quite a bit...in fact it things don't even look swollen until you compare my right to my left. The good thing is that each day it is a tiny bit less...and with the decrease in swelling comes a tiny decrease in pain and an increase in ROM. I am hoping my "Marilyn Monroe" hip will soon be a distant memory also.
 
I have 6 packs also, I'll start icing again more. I stopped because I don't have any pain during the day. When I do, I usually reach for the ice packs first because they relieve the pain faster than the Norco.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

I have finally started sleeping through the night, 3 days straight now!!! Whoo Hoo!!! "knocking on wood" don't want to jinx anything, LOL!!

This morning I slept until 10:0 a.m!!! I haven't slept that late in years!!!
 
calikat I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this, I love this forum for that reason! I look at myself in the mirror and I can see there is some swelling compared to my left hip. I've been wearing stretchy pants, and shorts. The weather has changed to wet and very chilly, I guess I need to pull out the sweat pants! Lol!
 
You have no pain during the day!? I am very jealous. ;). My pt and I had a good laugh comparing my two sides in the mirror. :D
 
I think the pain gods are just being nice to me, last year with my LTKR, I had a very hard time with pain and the pain with PT was so bad, I would take 4 norco's just to get through PT. :)

I hope to never have that type of pain again!!

My pt and I had a good laugh comparing my two sides in the mirror. :D

That's too funny!!! Thanks for sharing, now I don't feel so crazy about my "Marilyn Monroe" hip!! :loll:
 
Today I had my 7 week check up with the OS. I got to see my xrays today!!! I wanted to take a picture of them with my phone, but was afraid to ask, but I will when I go back in December.

It feels more real now, it's hard to explain. After I had my knee replaced I could tell there was a new joint in there, with my hip the only day that it felt odd was the first day I walked on it. After that I didn't feel like it was any different I know there is a new joint in there and all the bone on bone pain is gone! I think it might have to do with the very bad recovery I had with my knee, my hip recovery started out slow because of the fracture, I can't complain that much about my hip recovery.

I got the ok to go into the pool, so tonight I'm going swimming for the first time in about 8 weeks!!! I also got released to go back to work on the 1st of November.

The OS still says no to weight training, he wants me to have 3 full months of recovery and to only do the exercises that PT gives me to do.

I'm slowly getting my life back and I'm so excited to be able to enjoy it again!

Thank you everyone on this site for the support and I'm so grateful to be a part of a wonderful community and family!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom