Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi sunsetbiking, congrats on your recovery progress especially with your complications.
Wishing you well.
I also was wondering how to be part of the THR grouping.
 
Well that's great news that the fracture isn't too bad.....sorry it's there at all!!!!

You sound like you are doing great and your spirit is sound buoyant too
 
Before the RTHR I had decided that sleep was overrated, because of the pain and waking up every 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours all night long.

Sleep was one of the big things, besides being joint pain free that I missed. I still haven't slept all night long without waking up, last night was the first night I actually slept more than 2 hours at a time and I didn't have to get up and walk to get rid of the pain.

This may sound like something so simple to everyone, but to me this is a big milestone, In the last several years I can count on my two hands how many times I have slept all night without waking up in pain. I'm looking forward to the day when I count on my two hands the number of times I wake up in the middle of the night.

My recovery is coming along well, I'm still on the toe touch restriction and it's making the days very boring. I'm so used to being very active and to have my activity level drop to a complete stop is hard to handle. I have this dying desire to get up and do more! I am behaving myself and I continue to follow the OS orders to just let the hip heal up and do nothing but rest, ice, and elevate and some mild PT.

I go back to the OS on Sept. 30th and he said he would lift the restriction, I can't wait to see what it feels like to walk on my new HIP!
 
None of us takes sleep lightly....we all know what a big thing it is, and a milestone for sure. And the best is yet to come.

I live in the greater Lansing area. Grew up in Detroit though. Sort of near you. :)

Sharon
 
I Ventured out today with my daughter today she took me to get a pedicure, it was nice being a part of the world today! Lol!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Today was my 4 week post-op visit, I can't believe it's been 4 weeks since I had surgery, but today was my first day to actually walk on my new hip!!! :yahoo:

It's so hard to describe the feeling, but i'm sure everyone on this site knows what I was feeling. I'm so glad to be finally be able to start walking on my new hip and learning how to walk without the limp and also to walk straight.

The OS had me walk for him today, and because of the scoliosis in my lower back, I have to learn not to lean over to the left. I think that is going to take a lot of work and practice to get rid of that bad habit. The last month before my surgery the pain was so bad, it was less painful if I leaned more onto to my left side.

I was so excited to be able to walk, I wanted to be able to do everything I did before the surgery....Water aerobics, weight training at the gym, bike riding. My OS had to reel me back to reality and remind me that I need to first work on walking.

My scar is looking great, but my body is having a reaction to the stitches, my OS uses Absorbable Sutures and my body seems to be having a reaction to them, I had the same issue when I had my LTNR. That is why the OS said no to swimming for right now, he doesn't want me to take any chances with infection.

The area around the incision is a little red and there has been some swelling. Yesterday I was standing more and by the end of the day my hip was very swollen. After icing the incision all night long the swelling did go down. The OS now wants me to wear compression shorts to help control the swelling, Yay! ~sarcastic yay~

I also had 6 x-rays done of the pelvis, my hip, and of the femur, there is no sign of the fracture!!!

The x-rays also showed hip dysplasia with moderate osteoarthritis in the left hip. I'm just hoping I have many years before I have any issues with the left hip, as of right now I am not having any pain or problems with my left hip. "Knocking on wood"

I want to be able to enjoy being pain free before my left hip and my right knee decide they want to join the bionic club!
 
Hi sunsetbiking. How fantastic that you finally got to walk on your new hip. Super milestone!!!!!! I so get you planning everything you will do without just getting to the basics.....walking!!!!!! :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

We seem to be very similar as I have hip dysplasia and my left hip is i the same condition as yours....fingers crossed that I have no trouble for a while too

Keep up the good work
 
Thank you Vetgirl, It's so nice to know there are other people out there with the same issues, I don't feel so alone.

Yes let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have any trouble for a while!!!

Lisa
 
Today was my first outpatient physical therapy appointment. It went very well, I got to switch over to the cane. My PT also suggested if I feel fatigued I should use the walker. Being able to use the cane or just to have the option to use the cane makes me feel so much more independent.

My range of motion is almost back to the normal range! It feels so great to be on the road to recovery and soon I will be back to doing all the activities that I enjoy and wasn't able to do the last few months before surgery!

I didn't dance before surgery, but after today I feel like it will be a possibility in the future!!! LOL! :happydance::egypdance::dancy:
 
Today was the second outpatient visit for PT. Therapy is going great and my range of motion is unbelievable! I think I could almost do the splits! LOL!!! Just kidding! Two weeks prior to my surgery I could barely move my leg out to the side.

I stopped at my job to give a co-worker a birthday gift, and everyone commented how wonderful I looked and they could tell just by looking in my eyes that I was now pain free! It's funny, when I look at myself in the mirror I still see the same face as I did before! Lol!

I am missing work, (or maybe just the people) but I'm still not ready to go back to work. I told my PT that I want to be able to walk without a limp and to walk without leaning. If I went back to work now I don't think I would be able to concentrate on my recovery. So I'm not going to rush going back to work.

O and the best thing, sleep is becoming easier! For the past 3 nights I only got up 1 time each night and Sunday morning I slept until 9:30a.m!!
 
Really not much too much to update, I had PT today and I learned how to turn over and to lay on my stomach without breaking my restrictions!!! Yay!!! I'm not a stomach sleeper, but I do need to stretch my left knee and I use a strap to on my ankle while on my stomach and pull the strap over my shoulder to stretch my quad muscles. Now I can do it again!!

I find it amazing how the little things make us so happy!

I did try to sleep last night without taking any pain meds, I won't do that again tonight. I was up 3 times and didn't sleep very well at all, and was wide awake at 6:00 a.m. I mention this to my PT and she suggested taking maybe a 1/2 a pill, If I don't have pain when I lay down, I think I will just take a half a pill just to keep the pain away.

I'm hoping next week to ditch the cane.
 
Lisa, I love how you're reveling in the progress, but not jumping too far too fast. Your next four to six weeks will fly by, and during those weeks you'll achieve these other things....walking freely without a limp, going back to work, sleeping though the night without pain meds. Even dancing. :)

Sharon
 
[quote/] The OS now wants me to wear compression shorts to help control the swelling, Yay! ~sarcastic yay~![/quote]

sunsetbiking this comment made me burst out laughing! Thanks for sharing!
 
I live in the greater Lansing area. Grew up in Detroit though. Sort of near you. :)

Sharon

I'm originally from Michigan too...near Flint. I went to high school in Davison. It's a small world. I live in Southern Cal now.
 
I like your surgeon's thinking... Learn to Walk first before you you run... Pleased to read you are enjoying your new hip :)
 
calikat I'm glad my post made you laugh :)

I grew up in the Detroit area and then moved to Jackson for about 15 years, now back to the Detroit area again. I think there are times when this world is really small!!
 
walking freely without a limp, going back to work, sleeping though the night without pain meds. Even dancing.

I am really looking forward to everything, I do have to admit there are times I do have to give myself a reality check and slow myself down. I'm so used to being so active and I am getting anxious and I want to return to weight training with my trainer and going back to water aerobics! I have a brand new bathing suit that I haven't been able to use yet!!!

Lisa
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom