Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm back again

Your neighbor is truly a blessing to give so much of herself to help you. Many people don't have that. I didn't.

Please let us know when you hear back from Mental Health.
 
Hello Dolphin,
Many people do experience post op blues after surgery, which can make recovery feel even more overwhelming. It is common to feel down, frustrated and even anxious during this time, and for those who already have a history of depression or mood disorders, the emotional impact following the trauma of this major surgery can feel even more intense. While our purpose here is to mainly help support each other through the physical aspects of recovery, we also offer emotional support because we understand through personal experience and can reassure most that their feelings are only temporary. Since what you're experiencing runs deeper, it's encouraging to hear you've reached out to a mental health professional to help with the emotional side of things. You are not alone in this and there are people that can help you, I'm confident in that.

It is wonderful that you have a supportive friend in your neighbor and she cares enough to set aside time to
walk / talk with you. That's a blessing! Keep up the good work!
@Dolphin5
 
Your posts today have made my day, @Dolphin5!!! Now I know you’re going to be okay. With the support from your wonderful neighbor, you’ve taken the big steps to get out of this depression and get back to the real “you.” You tell that neighbor she gets a BoneSmart Gold Star Award. She’s definitely a “keeper” for a friend. Sometimes the best thing a friend can do for you is just to listen and really hear what you’re saying. It sounds like she may have done that for you.

Do let us know how things go with all this. We’re on your side. Hopefully the mental health folks will be able to get you on a stronger path and you can begin to mend things with your sons so you can truly enjoy your upcoming party. You have many bright things to look forward to.
 
THANK YOU. I've also just rung Mental Health. A clinician will ring me within 4 hours. I hate being like this mentally. Wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.
It’s a horrible place to be, and I’m sorry this is happening to you. Kudos for calling Mental Health! That is another HUGE step in the right direction. It’s all baby steps, then we look back and see how far we have come.
 
@Dolphin. I’m so happy reading your posts today. I mentioned to you about my daughter who was severely depressed, some years ago and I totally recognise this isn’t simply post op blues or a case of pulling yourself together it’s much more complex, so contacting the Mental Health Services isa definite step in the right direction.
When you weren’t able to be a child playing and feeling confident in the knowledge you were safe and being looked after physically and emotionally it definitely affects your growth on an emotional level. So it’s not surprising you might revert back to that child state.
How fortuitous that you have a neighbour who recognises your worth and wants you to do well by yourself. Wonderful too that you’re going for these walks regularly. It will make a difference both physically and mentally and gives you something to look forward to.

Very proud of what you’ve achieved ❤️
 
Hi again everyone and thank you for your posts. My friend/neighbour, Lorraine only moved opposite me 2 years ago, one year after I had moved. She said a few weeks ago that we would always be friends. Sometimes I'm surprised when someone says something like that, but during our chat Wed morning we actually had quite a lot in common with our ex husbands, life experiences etc. We have only chatted for a few minutes before this so I now feel really close to her and trust her as a friend. Her hubby is very nice too. So when she came over yesterday she had two bunches of daffodils with her, for me, from her husband. Well, I told her to take them back. Why? Because with my online shop coming today I'd included daffodils for them!! So I said take them back and I'll keep yours!!

When I spoke to mental health yesterday at 2pm the very nice lady said I'd get a call within 4 hours. (She also asked if she could notify my surgery about the call, which I agreed to, so they will know now).

So what time did I get my call? 11.35pm. I didn't mind that I didn't get the call within the 4 hours, they must have more urgent cases, but when the phone went my immediate concern was that there was a family emergency. I couldn't believe mental health phoning so late. I asked the woman 'do you know what the time is', I had to repeat it and she calmly said 'yes, it's 11.35', completely missing the point. I told her she had woken me up. She said I was in the queue and should she phone me another time. I just put the phone down. I was quite upset. So far no call from them.

I've done my 10 mins walk today and despite Lorraine being away for the weekend will keep this going twice a day. She said I was walking better today though the knee is very, very stiff and sore. I'm icing now regularly. Did 10 of the stand up, sit down earlier and hope to do another one this afternoon. I'll try and remember to do the quads but that's it for now. Maybe over the weekend I can think of doing the elevation again. Still feel quite down but at least I'm getting on track again.

Have any of you comments to make about having the fluid drained from the knee?

I always read threads twice. Occasionally I go back and reread some. Some comments stick in my mind. One being to get up at least every hour and walk around for 3 minutes. I think one comment was to do this every half an hour. It's harder in the evening when I'm comfy and have my dog settled on my lap but I'm trying.

I think that's it. I'll let you know if mental health ring me again. They should do really. Don't they know how important it is for people to get a good night's sleep???

Thank you for reading this. Sorry my threads are always so long....
 
@Dolphin5 agree rather late to call, but we are talking about Mental Health and they work round the clock. They are there to help and many people need their help no matter what the time. I am sure she will understand why you put the phone down, let's hope you get that all important call back.
 
Dolphin,
Like Andypandy, I agree that it was late when Mental Health returned your calling and respect that you have boundaries in regard to time, but your wellbeing matters more than the time on the clock. Also, not knowing what you shared in your initial conversation with them (which is personal and not our business here) they're obviously busy and didn't want you to lose your place in line for help. I suggest you phone them again since it sounds like you ended the call without any plan in place to speak with someone at a later
date / time.

Thankfully you established a pattern for walking outdoors and you're doing it twice a day. That is fantastic! I'll bet if you keep it up over the next two days, your walking companion may notice a little difference in your speed and stride upon her return. It's also encouraging that you're back to some exercises. I suggest you ice / elevate several times a day also in an effort to get the swelling down.

As far as draining fluid from the knee - At this point in your recovery, only your surgeon can determine whether to drain fluid from your knee. He knows the details of your surgery and healing progress so it's best to let him make that call.

If you're not already, consider reading posts on other BoneSmart members threads. You will find that others also struggle, not all, but some do. You may find some members you enjoy interacting with as everyone is supporting each other here and your thoughts may really make a difference for someone. I encourage you to make full use of the forum. Lots of resources here and even a social area that can be fun if you're bored. Check it all out and have a great day! :SUNsmile:

@Dolphin5
 
It’s usually not a good idea to drain fluid from the knee after a joint replacement due to the risk for infection. I’ve known of some cases where it was done, but I wouldn’t count on that being recommended. Layla’s correct that it’s a decision for your surgeon.

There is a product available in the UK through a prescription from a doctor (surgeon or GP) that you might ask about if you see one of your doctors. It’s a tape-on wearable device called the Geko that has proven to reduce swelling very rapidly. Here is a link to the website so you can learn about it and print off some of the information for your doctor.


The device was originally developed to prevent blood clots but is being tested now for approval for post-op swelling. But it still can be prescribed for the swelling if you can locate a doctor who would agree to help you with it.

You’re making great progress. I do agree with Layla, that a return call to the mental health number is a good idea. At least then they will know you still want and need help. Right now things are pretty much up in the air.
 
@Dolphin5 . It sounds like you’re starting to make plans and bringing activities like walking etc into your daily routine, that’s great and wonderful you’ve found the friendship you have.

Don’t know how things are elsewhere but in the UK, accessing Mental Health Services is very much patient lead. I for example couldn’t phone mental health services about someone I was concerned about,which is understandable, the only problem is that when people are so depressed that they need help, they’re often the least able or motivated to try and access help.

So @Dolphin5 while I understand the late night interruption was unwelcome, possibly you weren’t ready to talk at that point, it is possible that as you ended the call without any forward plan, they may well be required to wait for you to instigate the next step. So if you don’t hear I’d definitely call again.
All in all it feels there’s a marked improvement even from a few days ago and I’m sure we’re all praying things continue in this way for you ❤️
 
Thank you everyone. A lot to absorb from your posts. I think I was able to call the mental health line because I was feeling slightly better. Perhaps I should not have put the phone down but she was saying the line was bad and I just wasn't in the mood at that time of the night. I was not an urgent case so it did peeve me that she woke me up. I'll keep in mind ringing them back. At least my GP Surgery will be aware of my call for help.

Thank you for the advice about having the knee drained. Since my not such good appt with the surgeon a few weeks ago, and the lengthy time to get there I'll put that to the back of my mind for now. He never suggested it when I saw him.

The Geko device sounds interesting and I'll look into it. I've definitely turned a corner and feeling more positive about getting to my party next week. I had a look at my dress earlier and it's lovely. I'm going to try and start elevating again tomorrow, even if it's only once a day to begin with.

Thanks everyone and have a good weekend.
 
I remember over 50 years ago I was feeling really down, badly so. I called our help line and the operator put me on hold. That made me mad, and I snapped out of my depression! Maybe she knew what she was doing, or God's intervention, whatever it was, it worked, I was mad and not depressed anymore!

We have heard lots of good things about the Geko. I hope it'll work out for you.

That party sounds like fun. Enjoy wearing that lovely dress. We girls love to get prettied-up!
 
Hi all

I'm wondering why Geko hasn't been mentioned before if it's a quick solution to getting rid of fluid in the knee and would help a quicker recovery?

I have occasionally looked at others threads on the forum but usually come off them fairly quickly as the ones I've looked at seem to be making amazing progress compared to me. @beralc I'm so pleased to read your 3 month progress report. Despite so many health issues you remained, mostly, positive. You deserve the success you've had and long may it continue.

I find though, by comparison, that I'm lagging sooooo far behind. With all Beraic's blips and difficulties, including couch rest for 6 days, she still managed 82o at 7 weeks. When I got measured by the PT 9 days ago, I was 10 weeks one day post op but was still only 45o. It just tears me up again as I did absolutely everything I was supposed to do. Although once on the forum I stopped doing the exercises I WAS elevating twice a day for 45-60 mins, doing 10-12 ice packs and walking up to 40 mins a day (20+10+10). Plus quads and some stretches.

I would be so grateful to find someone on the forum who was at the stage I'm at, but continued to a full recovery.

We are having such amazing weather in the UK for once and I can't help thinking about what I'd normally be doing. Today a long walk by the sea and a coffee in one of the many seaside cafes......

On a positive note I'm now into doing two 12 mins walk outside each day. (Prior to my blip these took me 10 mins).

I'm ice packing about 10 times a day. Doing 2 X 10 chair sit/stands. And for the first time in 8 days have done two elevations today. I can't face heel slides yet but maybe in a few days.

BUT I was doing more than this prior to the PT and only reached 45o. Sorry to end on a negative note......
 
Good Afternoon Dolphin,
We normally recommend icing for no less than 45 minutes each time you ice. So rather than icing for shorter intervals ten times per day, why don't you target maybe four times a day at 45 minutes each time and see if it makes a difference. You could kill two birds with one stone and get in two of your elevation sessions while you're icing.

I understand it's tempting to compare your recovery with that of others, but please try not to because we recover at different rates, for various reasons.

Great job on increasing those walks. I'll bet your walking partner will be happy / surprised when she sees your progress.

Happy Saturday...I hope it's a good one so far. :SUNsmile:

I will tag @Jamie to answer your Geko question.
 
I don’t routinely mention the Geko for post-op swelling for several reasons. The device, while approved and in use in the UK for prevention of blood clots, is not officially approved for post-op swelling. Clinical trials are still being held and it takes a lot of time for that process to be completed. It’s expensive for the 10-day treatment (about $500 US) and I don’t know how wide a use it has in the UK. With the NHS funding shortfalls, it may be out of favor. I thought you could at least mention it to your doctors and see if there was any interest in helping you get that treatment. It was a long shot. Here in the US, although the device is approved and covered by Medicare (and probably covered by most insurance companies), it’s still not widely used. Surgeons are still learning about it.

BoneSmart is a partner with First Kind, the company who makes the Geko. Although we don’t receive any funding from them, they have helped sponsor a couple of our educational webinars in the past. We are working towards a way for our members to purchase the Geko, but that’s not finalized yet.
 
Hi Layla and Jamie.

Thanks for your comments.

I always ice when elevating. And usually the ice pack is on for some 45 minutes as I'm invariably sitting down and actually forget it's on though it's obviously not so cold at that stage. I often put another one on after taking the 'old' one off. Especially in the evenings.

With the elevating, 2 X 45 minutes, would it be better to do 3 x 30 mins rather than 2 X 45 minutes?

Jamie thank you for explaining about Geko. Does one come home with the device, or have to go to a hospital daily?

I'm going to cancel my PT for the 17th as I've done none of his exercises and there will be no improvement, or very, very little, so there's no point but I'll mention Geko when cancelling.

When I saw the consultant and asked for an x-ray he said there was no point. He was happy with the x-ray taken before my discharge. But do you think I should have one?

I'm planning on calling my GP on Tuesday.

Thank you again for your continued support.
 
A friend of mine has recommended Nattokinase, Curcumin and Bromelain. She says they are all good with keeping blood clots at bay, pain and inflammation. Have you heard of these? Also a Red Light Therapy board.

A lymphatic drainage massage has been mentioned on here. Do you recommend this or might it make my leg worse for some reason?

Thank you.
 
Hi Dolphin, Happy Sunday!
Personally, I am all for supplements. However, some supplements may cause reactions and negative side effects if taken with prescription drugs. This is something you should clear with your physician. It is best to try to get the nutrients you need through the food you eat each day, but that's not always easy or possible. This is a topic you can run by your GP on Tuesday.

Here is a link to the Nutrition section where there are dietary tips, nutrition basics and information on supplements. Check it out - https://bonesmart.org/category/nutrition/

I don't know enough about Red Light Therapy to comment, but again, your physician may have some knowledge to share.

As far as Lymphatic Drainage I can leave a simple exercise below that a part time colleague of mine has shared and if you have questions, you can tag her, @CricketHip she does stop by periodically.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

As far as elevation goes, try four times a day at 45 minutes each. That is the amount of time BoneSmarts Nurse Emeritus, Josephine (with 50+ yrs in Orthopedics) normally suggested for early on. Ice at least four times a day for no less than 45-60 minutes always placing fabric between bare skin and the ice source. You can try this and adjust times accordingly depending upon the result you get.

Article on Icing -

Hope this helps. Enjoy the rest of the day! :SUNsmile:
@Dolphin5
 
I found a post (below) that appears to be from a little research done by my colleague, mendogal, on red light therapy -

 
Thank you Layla. I'm going to order some Turmeric Extract Complex supplements and will try the breathing exercises. I did have lymph nodes removed when I had breast cancer so perhaps this has affected the fluid drainage negatively.

Elevation four times a day....... Oh my goodness. It's soooo time consuming but I'll try and do more than the two I'm doing each day.

Thank you, thank you.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom