• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Red Light Therapy

Nlh61

Country
United States United States
I haven’t scheduled surgery yet. I see the doctor for evaluation on April 9th.

Welcome back to BoneSmart, @ Nlh61.

It's been quite a while since your right knee replacement. Hope that recovery has gone well.

Are you seeing the surgeon in April for a left TKR -- or something different? Please let us know!

You will notice that I've moved your post out of the other member's thread (since it wasn't a reply to him), and set up this pre-op surgery thread for you. If you would like a different title for this thread, just let us know.

I was wondering if anyone has had either red light therapy and peptides for healing after knee replacement. Thanks

Hello Nlh61,
Please notice that we have moved a post from the recovery forum to the pre-op side since you're still pre-op.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns you have on this side of the forum until after surgery. I have changed your thread title to reflect the information you're seeking.

I interested...you can use the SEARCH at the top right of the page typing in key words such as Red Light Therapy and all threads where it's been mentioned will pop up.
Take good care!
@Nlh61

Hi @Nlh61

A review of research articles indicates that the various laser or LED therapies sometimes called red light therapy have a definite place in certain skin disorders and there's a strong theoretical basis for its use in wound healing.

However it's not had enough double-blind peer reviewed research on humans for it to be in widespread clinical use yet following surgery other than plastic surgery.

I did find a Swiss study with 45 patients that showed that in the early post op period patients receiving low-level laser therapy (LLLT) or Bioptron light therapy had less swelling, less pain, and better flexion than the control group. The differences were insignificant after one year post op, but at three months there were significant improvements with either one of the two therapies tried. This was not double blind research and there was no placebo group, which is the gold standard for researching medications and treatments.

I have also seen cautions against machines for home use. Every time there's a new medical technology, hucksters jump into the market. This is from the Mayo Clinic:

"You’ll find many red light therapy products if you search on the internet. While these products are generally safe to use, they may use a lower wavelength frequency (meaning they’re less powerful) than devices that may be used by dermatologists or other trained skin professionals. You may not get the results you hope for.
"If you do choose to purchase a red light therapy device, make sure to shield your eyes for protection, follow all directions and take good care of the device.
In addition to medical office-based use and at-home use with a purchased device, you may see RLT being promoted at beauty spas and salons, saunas, tanning salons, gyms and wellness centers. Be cautious of who is supplying and where you are receiving treatment. It’s always best to check in with a medical professional about the best options to treat your skin condition or issue."

I had cold laser treatments after TKR. They didn’t help. If anything knee felt hotter after. I’m not sure about the red light stuff, if it works on the same principal or not (which as far as I can tell might just be placebo effect!)

I had cold laser treatments after TKR. They didn’t help. If anything knee felt hotter after. I’m not sure about the red light stuff, if it works on the same principal or not (which as far as I can tell might just be placebo effect!)
Yes, they actually are the same thing!

I’m 18 days post op I’m doing peptides. started 1 month before surgery will do 2 months post surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member