TKR I'm back again

I do hope this surgery will benefit you and that once inside your knee, your doctor will be able to see just what needs to be done. :console2:
 
No worries about not sharing the consultants letter here.

Good luck with your pre-op assessment today, Dolphin, and with your appointment tomorrow also. I am sorry your recovery has been such a challenge. I do hope next steps resolve the issue, bringing some real progress and relief.
@Dolphin5
 
What are your thoughts on stopping taking vitamin tablets pre op? At my primary op assessment last Wednesday I was told to stop immediately. The nurse said they should be stopped two weeks pre op. I have done so but am now questioning this. I take Magnesium, multivitamins, CoQ10 and Zinc.
 
Hi Dolphin,
This is pretty standard. I know I was advised to do the same. Some supplements can increase bleeding risk by affecting blood clotting. Some supplements are well known for this. They can also interact with anesthesia or medications. They usually allow you to re-start taking them within a week or two post op.
For example, I just read specifically that CoQ10 can interact with anesthetics, or affect blood pressure during surgery and possibly alter how anesthesia drugs are metabolized and may also impact heart rate or blood pressure stability. Magnesium and Zinc can also have mild blood thinning effects or interfere with clotting in high doses. So it is for safety reasons and your own good that you're taking a break from your supplements.
Happy Sunday...I hope its a good one so far! :wave:
@Dolphin5
 
The nurse said they should be stopped two weeks pre op.
This is what I've been told before each surgery (not just joint replacements) that I've had because it takes 10-14 days for most of these to clear your system.

After your surgery, before you are discharged from the hospital, be sure to ask when it is safe to start taking them again. There may be different schedules for different compounds, but you may be allowed to resume some of them right away.
 
I was told the same thing. I could still take Tylenol, but many supplements are blood thinners, that's why I was told to stop them.
 
Update on my visit today with my consultant. He explained that on Sunday he'll be starting with (gentle) manipulation of the knee/leg, followed by keyhole surgery to break up scar tissue, followed by more MUA. Depending on my ROM, if it's not good then my leg will be in a brace with the knee at 90o. This would be for hours. If the ROM is good (90-100o) then my knee/leg will be on a CPM machine doing continuous heel slides. My ankle will be on a machine to help with circulation. I'll be in for two nights but maybe more depending on how my knee is doing with the ROM.

Thankfully he agrees about the knee not enduring a lot of pain. He said the physios will be the same. I implicitly trust this surgeon. I also have faith that he sincerely wants to get my knee better. A genuinely nice guy. He didn't even charge me for the consultation today. I'm feeling hopeful. I'm second on the list on Sunday. It's 19 weeks one day since I had my TKR. ROM always been 45o or less. Whilst feeling hopeful I'm also anxious in case this doesn't work
 
@Dolphin5 Who is doing this upcoming procedure, your original surgeon, or the new one you’ve mentioned?
 
Heartfelt best wishes as you head into this next phase of recovery, Dolphin. I know this was not what you envisioned and it has to be incredibly frustrating both physically and emotionally. Thankfully you're still fighting for your mobility, independence and a better quality of life. The process sounds intense and I pray you come through with far better ROM and comfort in general. Wishing you a smooth procedure, steady progress and as little pain as possible along the way. I will be following with interest. :prayer:
@Dolphin5
 
Thank you both. Definitely not the original surgeon who was so dismissive of me at my 7 week check up. This is someone I've chosen who has excellent reviews. Also on the island only 10 miles away. The original surgeon didn't care at all about my 45o ROM. I'll keep you informed.
 
I have just read the consultant's letter to my GP. He says 'hopefully the procedure is within the window'. Is there a window for this procedure?
 
Hi Dolphin,
I'd advise you discuss this with the consultant. If it's easier to go through your GP, you can say you're questioning the consultant's comment about the procedure being within the window. Ask why he's questioning whether the treatment will be effective at this point. He may be cautiously optimistic due to the fact that you're 4.5 months post op, but I feel you need to hear this from him, not from us, and what next steps are if Sundays procedure doesn't produce the desired result. Best Wishes for Sunday!
@Dolphin5
 
What was your bend before your TKR? If it was low, then it will take a while to stretch out all those soft tissues. I pray this works for you. Your new OS sounds like he really cares, and you trust him. That is so important.
 
There is no window for an MUA (although some surgeons will tell you there is) and there is no window for a Lysis of Adhesions, which is what the arthroscopic procedure sounds like. But I agree with Layla that this is a question that needs to go to your surgeon. It is too difficult for us to determine exactly what he has in mind to give you accurate guidance on this.
 
Jamie and Layla beat me to this, but I'm very curious as to what the phrase is meant by 'hopefully the procedure is within the window'. I've very glad you have someone who has a plan laid out for you.
 
Thank you all. I've never been particularly flexible but if sitting in a chair, foot under the knee, so 90o, I would've been able to get the foot back about another 12 inches. It's helpful to know that Bonesmart says there's no time limit. You may remember the dismissive unpleasant surgeon I saw at my 7 week check up telling me that if I didn't take painkillers before the exercises and push the exercises then I'd be stuck and he couldn't help me. So perhaps even this skilled and caring surgeon thinks the same. The other one also said he could do a MUA, without even telling me what that meant, but he didn't want to. No explanation. I'm in good hands so just hoping and praying that it works. If I can get the magical 90o enabling me to drive, I'll be happy to be patient waiting for the ROM to increase gradually from that.

So ice packs in the freezer, elevation pillow awaits me and lots of doing everything right to get moving again. Oh and I'm ordering some iodine which I've been told helps with scar tissue.
 
Oh and I'm ordering some iodine which I've been told helps with scar tissue.
May I ask who gave you this information?
It may be used for antiseptic purposes to clean the skin and area around the incision to prevent infection, before the skin is closed and healed, but I've never heard of it being used to prevent internal scar tissue.
The other one also said he could do a MUA, without even telling me what that meant,
Doctor appointments can feel overwhelming when they're using medical terms you don't understand, but if something isn't clear, please stop and ask for an explanation because you deserve to understand what's going on with your own health.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom