THR I'm an official Hippie

Well, it might take some time to recover more before working on getting your strength back, @MimiMimi, but try to be patient and not push yourself. If it hurts to lift your knee up, then don't do it if at all possible. Continue icing and resting and I'm betting that this, too, will pass. Recovering from hip replacement surgery is not for the faint of heart, and your body is going to heal at a rate that feels right, regardless of how impatient you might feel. Hang in there and give it more time. You are going to get there, have faith!
 
Thank you. Tomorrow is another day!
 
Wondering if you know exactly what you did that landed you in the ODIC, as you mentioned in an earlier post? Depending upon what it was, it can take some time. Were you engaging in any exercising, or PT, that may have caused the pain?

If you're noticing improvement, as you mentioned, albeit slow, I wouldn't worry just yet. Continue icing and resting when you're able.

You can always call the office of your OS to get some reassurance, or we can tag Josephine. Let us know if we can be of help to you.
Wishing you comfort!
@MimiMimi
 
Hi Layla, I was doing pretty well with pain control and mobility before I went to a trade show and spent a good amount of time walking and standing, with my cane.
I had very little discomfort until the next day.
The morning after the trade show I felt pretty decent and got showered for church. I got to church and after the service had trouble getting out of my chair and I've been in pain ever since when lifting my leg into bed or getting in and out of the car or lifting my knee to put on clothes, etc.
Maybe @Josephine has a clue. I did call my OS office and got a triage nurse who told me she "hears this all the time" and to "ice and listen to my body"....
 
I had very little discomfort until the next day.
This is the nature of the ODIC! The impact from doing to much often doesn't arise until anything between 2 to 3 days after the event that caused it! So my advice to you is to be more sensible, listen to your body more and don't do so much!

Speaking of which, you should read this article Activity progression for THRs where it states this advice for those at 6 weeks out and you can see that it does not include 'going to trade shows and spending a good amount of time walking and standing'!

Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!


Incidentally, are you doing any exercises?
 
Hi Josephine
Thank you for replying! I have learned my lesson. It was a bad decision to spend that much time on my feet that day.
I'm not doing any exercise other than a little "walk around, don't fall down" which is all of the exercise my OS "prescribed."
All that said, is the hip flexor the issue that most often presents as a result of overdoing it?
If I am sitting in a chair or on the side of the bed, it hurts to lift my knee straight up. This was not the case before my I'll fated adventure.
 
I'm still having pain a month later. I have spent many days resting and icing and I still can't raise my leg/knee when sitting down. If I try to put on a sock, or lift my foot to put on pants it hurts BAD. Getting in and out of the car is awful. Lifting my leg on to the bed is awful. Something is definitely wrong
 
Hi MimiMimi,
Consider calling the office of your OS again and see if they can offer you any reassurance.
Make an appt for an office call if you're really convinced something is wrong.
At this point I think you need that reassurance because I can tell it's troubling you. I don't blame you for questioning ongoing pain. You need to obtain answers, pain relief and peace of mind.
@MimiMimi
 
Thank you, I'm waiting for a call back from the OS office. I'm wondering if it is possible psoas tendinopathy.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, MimiMimi.
I wish you were feeling better. Wondering if you heard back from the OS?
Hopefully you're having a good day. Wishing you comfort and relief :console2:
@MimiMimi
 
Hi, I saw the physican assistant at the OS office today. He confirmed probable hip flexor tendinitis. In the meantime I have started a prednisone taper which has helped tremendously with the pain.
They are recommending physical therapy. Not sure what to think about that.
 
They are recommending physical therapy.
Why on earth would they suggest PT if your issue was already caused by too much activity. I think I would decline that offer - or at a minimum question their logic.
 
I don't know if it's caused by too much activity. It could be caused by irritation from the protheses...right?
 
Good Friday morning, @MimiMimi--sorry to hear you're struggling with tendonitis--that can't be much fun for a recovering hippie! I don't know what to think about a referral to PT with a problem like that, although if you're in a lot of pain I am not sure that PT would be all that effective. But, I certainly have never experienced this and have no medical opinion. We are right smack up against the holidays so I hope you find something(s) that works so you can roll into next Tuesday with a smile on your face. Happy holidays to you!
 
Thank you! I'll see the PT January 3rd if I don't chicken out.
 
It could be caused by irritation from the protheses...right?
No, your surgeon has already confirmed tendonitis. Stop all PT activity, rest, ice and elevate. Pushing on through this will not work and may result in chronic pain.
 
But the surgeon's office wants me to go to PT for this. I have read that it can be caused by the tendon rubbing over the prostheses. I did not do PT after surgery. I'm really in a quandary about what to do.
 
Well, you could always try PT to see whether it hurts. If there’s pain, just say no!!
 
True! Might be a good plan. From what I've read, there's often a surgical approach . I'm so not wanting that.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom