THR I'm an official Hippie

Keep doing what you're doing, @MimiMimi--resting, staying hydrated and icing plus appropriate and scheduled medication (bummer about the Coumadin--any other choices available?) will all help to ease your discomfort. These are such early days yet, and try to remember that it will only get better here on out--you are on the road to recovery, slowly but surely.
 
Yes, I need to be a patient patient. Coumadin is being utilized because I am allergic to aspirin and NSAIDs. The protocol in 28 days total, but I don't know if I can tolerate it that long.
All things considered, I think I'm doing pretty well. This is so much easier than my knee was!
 
Does anyone have suggestions for the agony of the itchy incision/scar? I don't know if I'm having a reaction to the steri-strips or what but it's awful. Area is dry, no leaking or anything, just redness and itchy, mostly around the wound. It's crazy making!
 
Oh poor Mimi!
I didn't have that issue but have certainly heard plenty of folks on the forum bemoan this very issue.
Hope you hear from someone who has some helpful advice.
Would icing right over it - with appropriate buffer cloth - help some?
Glad that you are hanging in there and for the most part with all this recovery business.
Let's hope this eases soon.
 
Thank you, ice does seen to help. I have raised pink bumps around part of the scar that are very itchy, too. Home health nurse didn't seem too concerned but I might call in to the doctor to see what they recommend.
 
Sounds like a reaction to the adhesive on a bandage or the stern-strips. Is your incision still covered? If the home health nurse was not concerned I would just leave it. Ice when you can.
 
Good morning, @MimiMimi. Oh, yeah--I'd forgotten that those steri-strips, plus (for me) the tape on the bandage, can be itchy. I didn't get a rash from the steri-strips, which are thankfully all gone now, but the adhesive tape they use did cause slightly itchy, raised areas around the wound. Icing did work for me, too.
 
I'm icing like crazy, taking Benadryl and using steroid cream, sparingly. The rash has spread down my thigh and up on my belly. I sent a photo to the triage nurse but they do not view it as anything serious.
 
Oh gracious.
Probably not serious , but how very annoying and anxiety producing.
Did you say that there was a bandage?
If it is the steristrips I'm guessing not alot to be done with that.

When do you go back to OS...is the triage nurse with their office?
 
OK, rant coming.
What I had was a Prineo dressing by Dermabond. I called the office to talk to the nurse again and told them my rash was worse and spreading. They instructed me to go ahead and remove the dressing, which I have done.
I am having an allergic reaction to chemicals in the Dermabond system, more specifically, the Prineo dressing.
I soecispecifi told my doctor and the nurses and it is noted in my chart that I am allergic to surgical tape.
I went to the Dermabond website and read that patients who report allergies to tape are not candidates for this type of dressing.
I'm really mad and itchy!
 
Hi MimiMimi, :hi:
Hopefully the measures you'e taking to resolve the issue begin working.
The rash sounds miserable.
Wishing you comfort while you wait.
@MimiMimi
 
Oh gracious.
Pertinent information that you would think they would have noticed!
Hope now dressing is off, it is getting better.
So sorry this is making things harder than it needed to be.
:console2:
 
I am slightly better today but still pretty miserable. I'm taking Benadryl, oral pednisone, topical triamcinolone and keeping ice on. I can't believe how far the rash spread from the surgical site! I have very little actual pain except for this rash which is a pain of another type. I'm still mad that this could happen when I clearly stated I had tape allergies. This was a Dermabond Prineo dressing. Beware!
 
I'm so sorry Mimi.
Hopefully this will subside quickly.
Pray your night is restful and tomorrow will be a better day.
 
How sad....how miserable. I hope it eases for you soon.
Wishing you comfort and healing.
@MimiMimi
 
Ugh...what a lot of medicines for something that could have been so easily prevented, @MimiMimi, if they'd paid attention! I hope the rash clears up soon and you can focus 100% on hip healing and not miserable itching and irritation! Good news that you aren't experiencing any pain otherwise. Have you been able to increase your activity a bit, or has the other issue consumed all your time and attention? Hang in there, this too shall pass.
 
@MimiMimi sorry to hear of your rash. Who needs itchy! I started w a rash w my 1st hip w warfarin. Huge surprise! Hope you are finding some relief. I worked on a 1000 pc puzzle to help me through a couple of rough days this time around. :scare:
This week ahead for you will see lots of good changes. Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
I worked on a 1000 pc puzzle to help me through a couple of rough days this time around.
What a great idea...keeping those hands busy too so as to not scratch.
I do hope it is subsiding @MimiMimi
Wishing you a better day today!
 
Hi, y'all thanks for all the kind wishes and encouragement. I'm slightly better! Still needing to ice but I don't feel quite as bad.

I am going to have a lot to say about that dressing and the allergic reaction I had when I go back on the 15th. Especially when the manufacturer says NOT to use on someone with a tape allergy....but I digress.

My surgery was on Oct 15. Is it normal that I would run out of energy 3/4 of the way through a shower and be too tired to blow dry my hair?

Sincerely, itchy and bedheadded in NC
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom