TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

I did have the spasms and my OS had said any muscle relaxers Flexeril particularly which I can't take would help, mine were not terribly painful like yours though. Make sure you are staying very hydrated makes a big difference. I hope that it gets better for you soon!
 
@jozillia. I used to have really bad leg cramps and was taking meds prescribed my neuro. But this is different. It's only in the back if my knee cap can't even explain the pain I took oxi and Xanax hoping that would help and also leg cramp pills. Nothing worked. It was just the strangest and oddest pain. I can understand the knee cap but behind knee. Just don't get it
 
Help. I have had the most horrific pain coming from the back of my surgical knee. The top of knee is a little swollen but behind the knee is where I am having issues. I woke up last night crying from a cramping stabbing pain. Didn't know what it was or where it was coming from. It felt like I hadto stretch knee, which I did, massaged with cream. But nothing worked. Every 1/2 hr I got up put more ice on it and tried to stretch. knee out, that didn't work. Pumping ankles didn't work either. Got up and stretched against wall nothing. This continued thru out night. Finally took an oxi and a Xanax just to stop the shooting pain. I have leg cramps every now and then but this is nothing like the calf pain
Anyone else ever feel that. Am I slowly going out of my mind
Could anyone suggest something I can do. Desperate. Dr not in until Tuesday
Thanks for listening. Hope someone has a solution
 
Keep up the ice and drugs, and instead of trying to "work it out," maybe you should completely rest it.

Sometimes swollen soft tissue can get caught in the joint mechanism. I guess that's one possibility.

Is your doctor in a group? If you call their number, you'll find out whether there's an on-call available to phone you.

I'll tag @Josephine who has the experience and knowledge to help.

Let me post this chart for you to indicate where the pain is. It's a graph, so you have to indicate the horizontal row(s) as well as the vertical row(s) where the problem is. That will help Josephine answer your question.

[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray
 
Hi Susanne - almost sounds like a bakers cyst. I am just not sure if you can get them after a tkr. Maybe one of the moderators can help out with that! Hope it eases up though!
 
The last time I was a PT he said no bakers cyst. Would there be a lump there because there us nothing there. Thanks
 
I'm not so good at charting but I'm going with Dlb3 and4. Right behind knee cap. There is no lump nothing there I've been icing back of knee now also
 
Yes I believe it would be swollen. I had one before my tkr which was with a catching type of pain down into the back of my calf. Definitely keep icing and hopefully Josephine will get back to you shortly.
 
@susanne just giving you a little nudge. Josephine has replied and she's near bedtime in the UK!
 
@susanne, I'm afraid I have no help or advice to offer but just a lot of sympathy and empathy. I am getting more pain from the back of my knee than from the front. I've been on holiday all week and haven't had access to as much ice as I have at home, I've really missed it. I've also been sitting in the car for quite a long time, and when I do get out to stretch it is the back of the knee that is the worse. I know it's no help, but it thought I'd let you know it's not just you xxx. Ellejay
 
@ Josephine. I didn't know if I had a question to throw out there I would need to change my thread. This I'm sure is just a temporary aggravated site. I have been riding exercise bike for 15 mins, heel slides, foot pumps and lots of walking I ice and elevate every night. It was just that one time out if nowhere that the pain was excruciating I tend to have leg cramps but this did not feel anything like that. It was a spot directly behind knee took another oxi put ice behind my knee and tried to get comfortable. I've been sleeping if you can call it that on my side with a pillow. My PT said it's ok to sleep on surgical side, as right side gets uncomfortable because of hipreplacements. I will call surgeon tomorrow as see what he thinks. It did bring me to tears, so u kept getting up stretched and massaged area. The front of knee was tight, but it always is after a full day
Hopefully tonight will be better I've got 4 ice packs chilling in freezer and since it's still so cold and rainy here the ice stays cold linger
Thank you all for your help and concerns. Can't I have my old thread name back. This one I don't care for ca u chage it to 8 weeks out of surgery now what. Thank you I'd appreciate it
Susane
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Ellejay. I'm more impressed you can go for long car rides 20 minute ride is my limit. And now dreading the ride to my brothers house for the holidays.. He lives in westchester which is about 25 miles north of Manhattan. And from my house it takes about 30-35 minutes. That's with no traffic. With traffic like on holidays we pack a snack longest it ever took us was almost 2 hrs. Can't imagine doing this again Will have a full car my twin, my mom who's 98 and loves to be a backsteat driver and making stop at airport to get my daughter. I love when our whole family is together it's so great. Esp now that my niece has a 6 yr old son who is very funny.
Over a ninety year age difference and she's still able to do things with him
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:SUNsmile: That sounds like a very crowded car, but such fun, how lovely that with such a big age gap you can all get on so well. Just make sure that your knee has priority, it needs to ride in first class, the seat with the most leg room, and you have to stop frequently to stretch out. When will you be doing this? Tomorrow I will be in the car for about three hours, but we will stop on the way. I'm looking forward to being back home, but I will only be there for four nights then we're off again, this time about a five hour drive. Lots of stops on that one.
I hope the pain in your knee improves very quickly xx
 
@ Bottomshollow what do you mean. I have to pay too ... That's a standing joke in my family my niece is a Harvard graduate and my brother gave her a credit card for things she may need like books, shoes, skirts etc. but didn't get the concept of having to pay the bill. She thought no kidding that since she already paid with card why does she have to pay again?? True story
But of what I can remember I bought some great things, not only for myself, but things for friends. I'm like in one hand and don't waste too much time putting it in the other hand and shop. Perhaps if I could sleep I wouldn't be shopping so much. I just found some really great web sites. I only buy if shipping free and my UPS guy is so adorable so it gives me a reason to get dressed and put on some lipstick!! Otherwise what a sight, and then I start talking to him cause I'm so bored then I offer him some water anything. He really us a sweetheart and I guess it sounds kind if crazy when the Only other person I have to talk to is my postman.
Have a good day/ night
Susanne
 
Hi @susanne - really sorry that your knee is playing up like that. I seem to have had far more pain behind my knee than anywhere else, right from the outset - and even more so the other week when everything seized up. I totally get your need to stretch, as I was more comfortable standing and moving than sitting or laying. Lots of ice, rest and anti inflammatories helped me. Sitting in the car became painful once again, but it was heaps better in my daughters car. I worked out that I needed to adjust the seat part so that it tipped backwards so that more bottom was pressing on the seat (in my case lots more bottom!) and less thigh. Like Josephine said - hamstrings often have a lot to do with that sort of pain - and sitting 'flat' seems to aggravate things.
By the way, had a real blast from the past when you mentioned Westchester. Friends of mine moved there about 25 years ago. We stayed in touch for a while, but we moved around and lived abroad for a while and lost touch.
I've no idea if they are still there but you mentioning the place reminded me.
Hope you manage to get that knee in a comfortable position and that it calms down and starts to behave.
X
 
And. Guess who's driving. Yup me have a hondaCRV and it rides real nice. Last year at this time when my daughter came home she was driving my car 2002CRV stopped at red light to go but oops the guy in front didn't go so she had to slam into his beautiful Lexus just my luck. This happened around the corner so I ran to her thankfully she was fine car totaled. She's a little on the emotional side and was so worried about car. She couldn't understand I couldn't care less about car it's just a box of tin that can be replaced she can't do if course she cried harder. So we are standing in the pouring rain waiting for the police to come and I start talking to the guy. I live in little neck which is just inside the city limits, 1 block over is Nassau county, Long Island. It's a small neighborhood and if you or your brother or sister are the same age, without fail we know you. .It happened that I knew his wife. She lived around the corner from us as my sister and I were always referred to as the twins a novelty way back then. So we kept talking and when I told him who my brother was it was like I hit pay dirt. He said don't worry about car he won't go thru insurance, we swapped phone numbers and believe it or not never got a bill from him. My brother is one of the leading historians on Abraham Lincoln in the country. He's on his 37 th book and is always on cnn in February when he does his speeches with actors and presidents. He loves to hob nob with the Clinton's and Bush family. He even slept in the Lincoln bedroom at the White House He is also Vice President of communications at the metropolitan museum of art. I hope this doesn't come out like I'm being a big shot but I am proud of my big brother. So that's our family history, our claim to fame. Although at times he has no patience for my mom and leaves everything up to me regarding her care. Isn't there always one . Love my family to pieces but a little respite would be nice
Boy can I ramble on I'm getting tired of writing so much about me and my family. My claim to fame I've been teaching an autistic girl since she was 3 no language and
I hate to say it but was like a feral child. She's now 9 goes to a special ed pvt school no cost to the family and talks incessantly. I love her like my own. I'm with herb teaching for 2 hrs everyday
Boy I'm getting exhausted from all this writing. I think I need a nap...as you can probably guess by now I'm a little OCD and am all over the place rambling I hope this made some sort of sense.
Have a good sleep and will catch up later. .....
 
Oh, how's that for a coincidence, we are on our 3rd CRV, they are so comfortable.
 
Susanne, was this a one time incident? And has it cleared up?

Whether you have a gradual increase in pain, sudden increase in pain, or whatever, it all means the same thing: You need to back off. It's that simple. If you had sudden pain and it's still there, that would be something different . . . although I cannot say I've read even one account on Bonesmart where that has happened.

I think the biggest thing that happened is you got panicked. These knees cause us a lot of worry. All it takes is one odd new sensation to spark our dark imagination. The lesson is that these TKR soft tissues are cranky and will remain so for a year or more, gradually improving with time. The tissues right next to the knee mechanism, if they gets swollen due to overuse (which sounds like the case), they will bulge inward and can get caught in the knee mechanism.
 
Back
Top Bottom