THR I'll be Post-Op Nov 9, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SwimGirl @cait1981 wow, would love warm weather!!! I get the part about Christmas, but I love warm weather. However, hoping my hip is great when gardening season comes. I hope I do as good as you did at 6 weeks @SwimGirl. Got fingers crossed. I fell last fall and broke my arm, though for the fall I took, I was quite well and fortunate. I think this comes into play, however, with transitioning and being nervous:sad:. I just tell myself to walk slow and build up muscles in that leg. :snow plough:
 
@Lela22 I am at 6 weeks or so and I am walking without a cane but still in recovery. You will get there too in your own time. The hardest thing about having this surgery is the fact that we all have different issues as we recover. @Miss Muffet is right! We make our way gradually but we are always
Wanting to be farther ahead than where we actually are. Be kind to yourself! Tincture of time!
 
@Lela22 And so sorry about that fall. Make sure you get good walking shoes. Weather is finally getting a little cooler so I am in the mood for Christmas now. Start thinking about fun things to do! Stay positive!
 
@MissMuffet @SwimGirl @gullimac i am sooooo frustrated today!! :hairpulling:Been doing my next exercise progression which includes Bridges and it irritates my butt, sciatica (?) nerve pain. Walking with cane in house, and can tell my healing leg is weak. I'm still doing bridges, but just cut back, as this also happened with leg lifts and now they are less painful and I am stronger.
I just want it to be all better. Grrr!!
On good note, since before my surgery, when I did diet, I've lost abt 25lbs. Know joints are happy about this!! I need to lose more. But that is significant. Don't go back to work till January, but now worried won't be where I'd like to be. Actual hip feels good. Go back in little over week to doc, so we'll go from there.
Thanks for listening!! Hope you guys are well!!!:flwrysmile:
 
@Lela22 - remember we are at exactly the same stage of recovery and I can only reiterate that if you're experiencing pain when exercising, then please stop. I can honestly tell you that I have not done any PT whatsoever and have followed the BS mantra to the letter by just walking, gently, and increasing it very very gradually. And I have no pain. It stands to reason that your PT is causing aggravation so I think it's time for a rethink :prayer::console2:
 
@Lela22 First, congrats on the weight loss. That is no easy feat and certainly does make your body happy. :dancy:

I ended up losing close to 45lbs on the lead up to the first surgery, partially as a result of some semi-related dental issues and partially because I desperately needed to. I am guessing you will be just like me--the ability to be more mobile helped me keep it off. With 2 good hips I am hoping to drop down a bit more.

I think your body is trying to tell you something when it comes to the bridges. You are just not quite ready. Backing off sounds like the right approach. Come back to it later and work in slowly. I have been amazed a few times by how much just a couple of days can make. I have also found that some movements require me to use a concept from dieting. Moderation is the key. Just a little bit of some motions is enough when you are getting started. My $2 (inflation--you can't get anything for 2 cents anymore...not even unsolicited advice).
 
@Miss Muffet @gullimac I seem better with fewer bridges and put on my Birkenstocks. Lol!! I love going barefoot. Yes, I think I may be rushing it a bit. I've been walking and trying to tell myself each day I'll get stronger. And my body will be more healed. Thx for input, and positivity abt wt loss. Hubby taking me to pool Sat.:swim:
 
@Lela22 - it's just concern for you. If you equate PT or exercise with pain then the answer seems to lie there. There's absolutely no benefit In rushing things - don't look on this as an athlete preparing for the Olympics, you're recovering from a major Operation and need to give your body, and muscles in particular, a chance to wake up gradually. Just walking alone will assist the muscles but by pushing yourself will only cause you pain and actually set back your recovery. Slow and easy has to be the answer.

A word of caution. Take it steady in the pool too. I also used pool therapy but only after I was told my scar was sufficiently healed to expose it to the chemicals in the water (chlorine) and I could confidently manage to walk on slippery surfaces (I wore my crocs right to the poolside) and manage the steps. I pool-walked along the edges and was told strictly no breaststroke until cleared by my OS. I used a float and did some very gentle scissor kicking (front and back crawl style) to help strengthen my thigh and hip area muscles, which felt like they'd been asleep for centuries. I found being in the water greatly comforting. Just be cautious because I did find that afterwards I was a little tired. Same old story - gently does it will tick the boxes.
 
@Ms Muffet thx for the advice. Yes, had some pool concern. Hubby going to help. If I go will take it easy. Actually the walking to the pool seemed more daunting than the actual pool. Pre sugery I hobbled to the pool with my cane and took it to the pool edge with me. I have crocs too :).We also have special bathrooms that he can go in with me to help me before and after.
The PA looked at my scar and said it looked fine, but just keep an eye on it to see if redness or anything occurs. If I do well at the pool, may try going once/week with hubbie and gradually build as I get stronger. Of course if it's a bust, I'll wait. I thought it would lift my spirits, and I'm a great believer in that being healing too.
Yes, I know I'm not training for the olympics- lol! Yes, I can be that way:heehee:. I appreciate your advice and support.This is so new to me. Yes, easy does it. :thankyou:
 
:yay:Hi I had my op on the 3rd Nov so am a week ahead of you. Like you I have had to learn to be patient with myself. There is so much I want to do now! I had a list from the hospital of activity progress but they give it out to everyone and don't take into consideration the individual. I found this site by accident and it was the best thing I ever did. Everyone helped me loads especially when I thought I should be further on and got worried. I've listened to them and taken it easy and now I don't really care how long it takes as long as I get there LOL! I still get blue days and find some things difficult but I am seeing progress daily now even if it's only small. Be kind to yourself and I'm sure everyone will help as much as possible. You are doing so well keep going
 
@Cas thx!! Just been walking with cane today and throwing the dogs some toys.
 
@Ms Muffet @gullimac :wave:I hope this finds you guys and everyone else doing well. I have not swum yet. Sat morning my scar seemed little itchy and red, so along with cautions, I did not go. It is fine now.
But,, hubby got me out Sunday For just short trip to the drugstore and fast food bite. Felt so weird being out using my cane. Still having left leg nerve pain. Felt nervous, like getting sea legs back. I told my hubbie I was nervous about going to work in Jan because I nought I'd be feeling better by this point. He laid out a scenario of doing little at a time. No rush. I can make my own schedule. He was also hopeful I'd feel even better by then. Today he got me out again and I think these little outings are perfect for now. Even had a thought I may be able to drive soon!! Had to go off aspirin as my tummy ulcer rebelled mightily. Surprised it let me get this far. I realized I could be much worse off!!Go to doc Monday and will get him to weigh in again on nerve pain.
Wishing all well!!
 
@Lela22 Getting your sea legs back sounds about right. It is amazing how quickly you will pick up from there. Hope the nerve pain is resolved soon! I also had a problem with both ibuprofen and aspirin. Some people are more sensitive than others. Will most likely never take them again! Glad you are getting out and about!
 
@SwimGirl thx for the good thoughts. I put on my closed in Birkenstocks yesterday. Birkenstocks and I have a long history because of previous foot issues many years ago. I can walk much better in them. Better than athletic shoes. Kinda always been that way. So, this is cool!! Nerve pain still a pain and my major complaint. Go to doc Monday. I put my foam roll on my bed today and rolled my back, which I have greatly missed. Feels good. I am one of those people who has to stretch to feel good. I have hyperextended joints. I have a history of doing and teaching yoga until chondrmalacia in my knees got bad. I was watching some people doing yoga yesterday, thinking " OMG! I didn't realize how fortunate I was to be able to do that!!!" Thus, when unable to get on the floor and such, the pool is great. The 90 degree rule really stinks for stretching!! Oh welll, could be much worse!! God Bless:wave::flwrysmile:
 
@gullimac lol!! I can tell you're a jokester which always makes life more enjoyable!!:flwrysmile:
 
@Lela22 Not sure what Birkenstocks are. I have seen this on other posts but am clueless. Socks perhaps?
 
So glad you are making good progress. I had pains in different areas. It seemed one went away and then got another one somewhere else LOL ! It will get better and it's amazing how an extra week will make. My hip still feels heavy and stiff until I start moving and then it eases off. Just be patient - I know it's hard. I always think I should be doing better as I am impatient with myself but am learning to go slow. I hate the 90 degree rule as well but am scared not to stick to it. Keep going you're doing great.
 
@Cas thx for the pep talk. This nerve pain is getting old!! I can't believe I go to work 1/2/17. It seemed so far away when this started!! Now it seems too soon :scaredycat: Those are some big dogs in your profile pic!! I'm wondering how I'll catch the puppy and crate her when I go back to work!! She's little! Geez!!:doggie:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom