THR I'll be Post-Op Nov 9, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Lela22 - I go back to work on 3rd January as 2nd is a public holiday here in Australia. I plan on taking some non-drowsy pain relief and 4 big ice cube trays with me for the staff freezer and will keep the ice on my knee every chance I get. I'm concerned I will tire easily that first week but will have to wait and see. I hope it all goes well for you x

Cait
LTKR
27th October 2016

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm back on 3rd January as well. Mixed feelings. Going back part time to start, which is how I'd like to be working in general right now but I know I'm needed full time. Looking forward to seeing colleagues but will miss my leisurely days.
 
I can take it slow in general, but I see clients and they are waiting for me. I have a biz and do it all. Sure I'll get in the groove. I love my clients. I do sit a lot. Glad don't have to be physical. Hubby will help in some ways.
 
Yep, I have 2 grabbers for that reason. I try really hard not to drop both!! At least I had one Velcro'd to the walker, when I used that!! Now I have to hunt them down!! My puppy is working overtime to pull anything she can find out so I'll give her a treat to trade. That means grab off the floor!! Now other hip having some groin shooting pains. :bignono:I need to get to the pool. This old hip,has been awesome till now. Come on hip, you can do it!!! :praying:
 
@cait1981 well, I may actually get hubby to help me clean office some the 2nd or something- forgetting holiday schedule this year. Not sure. I don't have a fridge at work, but not needing ice now. I do have a recliner. Taking acetaminophen now. Just need to be able to drive and move!! And I worry about fatigue too. I rest a lot now. I need to start getting some new clients and that is more taxing because it's more work and meeting new people. Will take it a day at a time.
 
Thanks @Lela22. I'm taking it easy the first week no actual counselling - just emails, checking new referrals and calling people to arrange appointments. Then I will also just take it a day at a time x

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
Very good report from doc yesterday. I had X-rays and all looked really well, even with knee ( I have had nerve pain around knee/shin since prior to surgery). So happy to hear that bc I was worried. He's guessing I have some patella bursitis and mild low back arthritis aggravated by hip. So will go to physical therapist I love a few times and back to him in two months. 90 degree rule relaxed and I can drive-woo hoo!! I've done dishes today and yesterday. Leg feels like lead with progression of exercises. So nice to get good quad stretch. Still on cane. But I can see myself getting stronger and more confident, so I'm happy!!!!!! Pool was great other day. Loved, loved, loved. Hubby went for help and moral support. Will keep updating, but thanks all for support!!!:loveshwr::happydance:
 
@Josephine question Josephine. I have been having lot of low back pain from sitting at work in my office chair. I have "cushy" chair I sit in to see clients, but can't use it for desk work. Tried pillow and such, but no help.

Went to PT first time on Tuesday this week, and based on her assessment, she thinks the pain is muscular caused by strain of compensation with hip arthritis- using cane since last March and still having to use cane since THR on 11/8/16. My muscles in that leg are weak also.

I had Percocet after surgery but am totally off. It was horrible for my mood, and I'm driving. Can only take Tylenol as I have an ulcer from long term NSAID use. (Does not help chondromalacia in knees at all.)

I had an appointment for physical with my PCP yesterday and due to the pain- I had to stand a lot at the appointment because of low back pain- he prescribed Tramadol for me. I'm a bit nervous about this drug re: addiction and sleepiness. He said to start with half of 50mg 4x a day, and sleepiness should subside in time.

By the way, regarding back pain - had MRI in July 2016 because of pain in lower left leg and nothing significant with this. Before surgery I had mild achy lower back pain and tightness on left side, but not as severe as now. I am also taking Tylenol OTC as directed and Skelaxin couple times a day. Only take ½ of 800mg because it seems to affect my coordination some.

Can you give me some advice about the Tramadol?? Thank you!!:sos:
PS we are trying to find a better chair for me, too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Lela22 - I'm sure Josephine will advise. Just wanted to add a little non-medical personal observations I have found. I too ache if I sit for too long in my office chair. One of my Christmas presents was one of those "get fitter" watches and it nags me if I sit for too long. I know I stiffen up if I stay in one positon for any length of time and have been bad at managing it, so this has been quite helpful. You don't really need to shell out on anything special - a timer on your phone can do the same thing, or even a flagged up message on your Outlook. I also purchased a better chair, which definately made a difference. I daresay you'll need some meds management but thought you might also find this helpful. Happy New Year to you!
 
@Miss Muffet thx! Unfortunately my limit can be less than 15 min!! Ouch!!!!! But thx!! I get up and move quite a bit for one reason other. But now I'll walk a bit too. Thx!! Hope you are well. :wave:
 
I have been having lot of low back pain from sitting at work in my office chair. I have "cushy" chair I sit in to see clients, but can't use it for desk work. Went to PT first time on Tuesday this week - she thinks the pain is muscular caused by strain of compensation with hip arthritis
No kidding! I don't suppose she considered it was anything to do with the fact that you had a hip replacement only 8 weeks ago!!

You should also remember this: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I had an appointment for physical with my PCP yesterday and due to the pain I had to stand a lot at the appointment because of low back pain. He prescribed Tramadol for me. I'm a bit nervous about this drug re: addiction and sleepiness. He said to start with half of 50mg 4x a day, and sleepiness should subside in time.
Have you had problems with Tramadol or any other opiate previously? If not, it's unlikely you will this time. There is a lot of publicity about Tramadol addiction but it's widely prescribed as a post-op pain killer and I think the reports of addiction are much exaggerated. The doctor in this article seem so agree with me too! Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds.

So my advice would be to take the Tramadol as he suggested and ultimately aim to be following the schedule of 50mg plus 1,000mg Tylenol every 6hrs.
I am also taking Skelaxin couple times a day
Skelaxin (metaxalone) is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) in the brain.
 
Hi @Lela22, I had Tramadol for OA pain pre-op and for some reason it has the opposite effect on me - keeps me wide awake at night. Good luck with it all :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom