Guest viewing is limited

THR I'll be Post-Op Nov 9, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SwimGirl hey, I've been chilling with Law and Order:giggle:, walking,walking with walker in the house and waiting for next doc check Monday so I can hopefully do more. Still having icky nerve pain that I had previously and hoping to go on it's own with normal walking. Definitely seems to be sciatica type pain. Grrr... my leg is much stronger though and still hoping nerve pain will subside on its own. No more polar cube!! Hoping to get to pool soon:cool:. You been going?? Hope you are well :egypdance:Gotta check in with Ms.Muffet and Gullimac.
 
@Ms.Muffet @gullimac how y'all doing?? :loveshwr:I'm getting bored but trying to walk a lot with walker and do my mild strengthing exercises. I think I'm doing well overall and wanting to move forward. Scared about getting off walker b/c of sciatic pain, but think I'll be ok. Hope doc says I. Can go to cane next week. Walking on my own seems foreign to me now. I'm guessing this can be normal??:chinstroke: How do y'all feel about that?? Have a great week!! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
So good to hear from you. I am doing ok. Hitting a bit of that 1month slump right now. Feeling good but tire easily. When I get tired I limp more. If I REALLY concentrate I can walk normal. I get little glimpses of walking "normal" again. Hoping those glimpses get longer and longer.

It is hard because our minds have programmed our bodies to walk in a way to avoid pain for so long. It reminds me of the old saying about "you can't teach an old dog new tricks." Well I believe that you can, it just takes longer than we would like. :dogwalk:
 
@gullimac good to hear from you!! Are you still on a walker?? I know what you mean. I catch myself walking the old way. Plus still having sciatica pain, which doesn't help. I have to concentrate to walk heal to toe a lot, because before I only touched that foot down. I actually am more energetic today. I dusted some!! :wow:Walking daily around the house has really helped my stamina, I think. But by bedtime I'm ready to turn in. (Get up early with hubby and dogs.) now, can't imagine a whole workday yet!! Lol!! I still lounge a lot!!:cool: You take care!!
 
Hello @Lela22 - so glad I caught your message. I nearly missed you (if you type @Miss Muffet it will alert me).
We 3 are examples of similarities and differences of recovery from surgeries all on the same date. You're feeling more energetic and @gullimac and I are feeling the one month slump. I think we are all managing much more than a couple of weeks ago but inevitably we focus on what we haven't yet achieved. I'm so sorry you're suffering sciatica pain - will icing help? Keep that chin up. We'll all be grand in time for Christmas.
 
I am on a cane. I can move around without it inside the house, but tend to move back to it when it gets late in the day. Always on a cane outside the house. Today I moved around pretty good in the morning. Cleaned up in the kitchen and made some lunch. Now I am tired though.

I am having a devil of a time getting home health to come out and take out my staples. I have spoken with my case manager from the insurance company a few times and she is as frustrated with this company as I am. I ended up.with a different home health company this time. The one I had before no longer employees Physical Therapists. That group was way more organized. This group has not been great. I like the PT person, but the office organization has been poor.

Glad you are making progress.
 
@Ms.Muffet sciatica only seems to be helped with ice if I sit on something hard, like the shower seat.but thx!! :flwrysmile:
 
@gullimac oh, I bet you are ready to get the staples out!! Ugh!! Great you are on a cane. My doc wants me on walker to be safe while the hip is being encapsulated. But Monday will be 4th week, so we'll see about cane. Sounds like you're doing great!! Hope home health gets their act together. Hang in there!! :)
 
@Miss Muffet whoops, spelled your ID name wrong last time. Frustrated tonight because I know hubby tired and I hate to ask him to do some stuff and then I try to struggle to do it and it's awkward and I feel resentful. I hate this part of recovery!!!:cry:
 
I think we very often underestimate the mental side of recovery. It is far too easy to get overly focused on all the physical recovery we are going through. And rightly so. But mentally we are going through a lot as well.
 
@Lela22 - no problem! I just don't want to miss your posts. It's hard feeling incapacitated isn't it. We feel our way gradually but never as fast as we'd like. Are you keeping a brief daily diary of what you can and cannot manage? It does help us chart progress.
 
@gullimac - completely agree. We so avidly concentrate on simply managing to get through a day and making sure we're doing everything according to the rules. It taxes us mentally and this can make us feel a bit battered.
 
@Miss Muffet @gullimac yes, than you both for empathizing. No, haven't been keeping journal but may do so. I know it's hard on helpers too. I've had to do this type of thing for my sister, and as I say with that, also, it's the emotional drain that's most taxing. Yes, hard to be incapacitated!! On a lighter more, my dogs want to lie on my new hip! (Other hip on edge of bed.)Ugh!! You guys have a great day!! I keep saying each day is one more day of healing. :puppysmooze:
 
@Miss Muffet @gullimac @SwimGirl how are y'all doing?? Had my 4 week check at doc. Can transition to cane, so using since I've been home feels weird walking with cane again!! Happy to work on it though!! Also can go to pool if I want. Maybe on weekend. :yes!:
 
I have my 1 month follow-up on Wednesday. Had a good weekend, moving well despite the cold and wet weather.
 
@gullimac A month already? Wow! Glad you had a good weekend and lucky you to have cold weather. We are about
78 to 80 degrees warm in Florida. How can you be in the mood to Christmas shop with that? I will take the rain
right along with the cold!

@Lela Good you transition to cane. Next step is forgetting where you left it around the house. As you get
stronger you just take off without it and then you are searching for where you left it.

@Miss Muffet Had my 6 wk checkup today and walked boldly into office without a cane. Dr. says I am
doing well and in fact said that I am ahead of the game. That IS encouraging! Now, I had lots of
questions and held on to his coat jacket as he headed for the door. Still asking questions as he stood
in the doorway. I figured that since I won't return for 10 months that I should ask all the questions I needed.
So I did! Sorry Doc!
 
@Lela22 Glad you transitioned to cane. Next you will forget it around the house. Then you will go looking for it.
 
Haha SwimGirl aussie Christmas is in the middle of summer so champagne breakfast, lunch by the pool for many is ham, prawns and salad with a traditional baked pork/turkey and vege dinner in the cooler evening. I have never seen snow (it's on the bucket list) and one year I would love to have a snowy Christmas in New York or somewhere in Ireland - Merry Christmas [emoji319]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
@cait1981 Wow! I love warm temperatures in summer but would like a much cooler Christmas. The other night, just one evening we had 60 degree temps. So I sat outside in front of house in lawn chair looking at our Christmas lights! That to me is delightful! I agree about having a Christmas with snow on my bucket list! Merry Christmas to you too! Here you see Santa hats on the pink flamingos that people decorate the yards with. ha! Ha!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom