THR I'll be Post-Op Nov 9, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've showered, but had to increase pain meds today. Almost wee post-op and some bad butt pain, muscle spamming/ twithcing. Knee hurts. Afraid I'm not "fixed," and knee separarate issue :unsure:. Hubby doing good overall. It's hard bc I don't know exactly what to expect. Slightly depressed bu t think more over fear of not being " fixed". @Miss Muffet glad you're doing well. :wave:
 
@Lela22 You are still very early out from major surgery. Not time to decrease any pain medication and the pain you are feeling is all post op pain. Take your meds as prescribed around the clock. Your hip is "fixed" you just aren't giving it time to heal. Rest, ice, elevate and meds.
 
It's been a week, and having the pain down lower leg being the worst. I just pray this goes away. I am picturing myself tellin y'all I worried for nothing!!! Hope everyone is doing well today!! :puppysmooze:
 
I've cut back on pain meds bc I don't like to take them.
It's been a week, and having the pain down lower leg being the worst. I just pray this goes away.
These 2 posts go hand in hand. If you are not taking your pain meds as prescribed around the clock you will continue to have this pain. And there is a chance it can become chronic. You will not regain your mobility unless you decrease this pain. Please go back and read the articles I left for you earlier in this thread. You are suffering needlessly.
 
Hang in there @Lela22 and I agree with Jaycey, you need to take those meds for now to help you not be in pain and heal.
 
If am taking them around the clock and have been. Only cut back a day or so at one point. So this is not the problem.
 
@Lela22, it's early going in your recovery. This is a long recovery for most of us, so hang in there! Do you have a home nurse like I did the first two weeks? If so, you might call her/him and ask about your leg pain. I was also given the number to the hospital so if I had any questions, they'd be glad to help. Did you get the same offer from your hospital?
 
Thx for the support. My husband is my FT NURSE until Monday, and the ortho team is great. Yes everyone keeps saying give eneything time to adjust and heal. See doc Monday. All else seems well. So I feel like a whiney baby. So glad got a lift chair, not so much for lift now, but to have a comfy adjustable chair. This is the most traumatic disease/ surgery I've had, so think that makes it so much more difficult in that sense. My husband, who is more of an introvert, has no difficulty being home!! :thankyou:
 
Had great doc report today. He was impressed by my minimal swelling and no bruising. Says my low leg pain is most likely from back, and still hopeful with normal gait, that any back difficulty from arthritic hip will now subside and so will pain low leg pain. @SwimGirl the polar cube is great. Sending you link: https://www.sourceortho.net. My doc office sells them wholesale because they are so good. You put ice water in the cooler part, turn it on, water goes through hose and to part you place on you. Don't have to worry about frostbite. They got me to bring it to the hospital. I have pee mate I may can use in potty. Have to practice with the walker !! However today doc told me make sure leg out in front, should be ok sitting on ADA toilet. Most everywhere I go has them. He says I cane be mor active in 2 weeks after more healing. Hardly any pain now. Staples out. Yay!! I love my doc!!!:happydance::dancy::SUNsmile:
 
@Lela22 Oh, I see. That is a good idea. A polar cube. Is this the norm? Seems like it works to keep swelling down.
Ice packs are great but when ice melts someone has to wait on you to refill it. The frozen gel pads stay cold a little longer but they also must be refrozen and replaced.

I also was instructed to keep operated leg in front when sitting down. Makes you wonder how those who have both legs done at same time are able to boost themselves up from any seated spot. Toilet or otherwise.
Have to ask what is a pee mate pray tell?
 
@Lela22 So sorry about your leg and back pain. Have to agree with the rest about continuing to take pain meds.
I don't like taking them either because they tend to upset the stomach and also clog the pipes. Always take pills with food to cut down on tummy upset. Also, I used stool softeners that helped the plumbing keep working. Eat lots of fresh veggies too! Drinking lots of water is a plus as well!
 
@SwimGirl Looks like a Pee mate is similar to a she wee--helps you pee standing up.

@Lela22 Have you used the Pee mate? I'd be afraid pee would end up everywhere but toilet!
 
@gertie I understand the need on some surgeries to keep the 90 degree limitation. However, with anterior repair I can use lower seats I just have to push myself up with my arms from low toilets just like I had to do preop. I prefer a higher toilet however! No pee mate for me. I really would be a mess!
 
@SwimGirl I've only used pee mate when outdoor outings. It's done well, but really have to practice to use it indoors.
 
@Lela22 smart cookie to start postop thread early. As you probably have seen on the November Nimbles that you share surgical dates with Miss Muffet, gullimac! You can compare recovery stories like I am with Krista and gertie as we all had surgery on Oct. 27th.
I had Surgery on 27th October also :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
@cait1981 Oh my goodness! So sorry I didn't get to wish you well in early recovery. How are you doing now?
Is the knee much improved postop or is it too soon to say? Some hips at this point are still having some issues.
Good luck with mobility and PT. I hope you are dancing by Christmas!
 
Thanks SwimGirl. I have had good and not so good days. I'm just following the advice given on here and gently working on extension and flexion rather than go to PT anymore. My scar looks pretty good though very dry - I'm just waiting for the last few scabs to disappear so I can start going to the pool. I love Christmas but have already told family I won't be doing the usual big dinner that sees me standing in the kitchen for hours - this year's it's just pork and roast vegetables- someone else can calve & clean up :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
@cait1981 I loved the idea of minimal exercise. Worked for me. I think it is great that you are ready to go to the pool. The best place to gently exercise your new knee! At least you do have the good days to pull you through the difficult days. I wondered how different having a knee done is from having hips replaced. From what I understand they are alike in some ways but different in others. PT for knees I think for a longer time but from what I read about for some hips it may take a bit of PT as well.

I also really love Christmas but my family has always done pot luck style where everyone brings a dish that goes with main course usually turkey. So I may be entertaining but will make it easy this year. I think it will be fun!
Keep up with swimming! You go girl!
 
@Lela22 How are you doing as of late? Keeping up with Miss Muffet and Gullimac from same surgery date?
Haven't heard a peep from you. Get lost in the polar cube?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom